No announcement yet.

The Wii U Retrospective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought one from Play-asia a few months after the WiiU released. Very easy install and much better play time from the pad with it. I think I installed it about the same time MH3U came out.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
      Just discovered this:

£24 for an official 2500mAh battery that gives you around 7 and half hours playtime over the three and change the standard 1500mAh offers. Anyone done this yet? How come no one speaks about this upgrade as I was searching about to DIY it when I saw it.

Whats also interesting is that when you open up the pad to replace the battery the Wii U was actually intended to have the larger pack as standard as it fits perfectly into the gap around the regular one.
      I got one. You won’t get 7 hours of play time from one though, more like 4-5, which is better that the appalling battery it comes with, but in reality still crap.

Comment

Hmm, 4/5 is a bit crap. I've never checked but I'm pretty sure I've had not far off that with the standard one. People also complain about the DS4 but I find that pretty decent as well.

Comment

Hmm, 4/5 is a bit crap. I've never checked but I'm pretty sure I've had not far off that with the standard one. People also complain about the DS4 but I find that pretty decent as well.
          As a related note, definitely consider getting bigger batteries for DS3s. For about a fiver you can get enormous ones these days, where you honestly forget the last time you charged them.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            As a related note, definitely consider getting bigger batteries for DS3s. For about a fiver you can get enormous ones these days, where you honestly forget the last time you charged them.
            Do you mean DS4 as DS3s last for ages anyway? If so where did you get a proper battery for a fiver please?

Comment

Yeah DS3s last forever. 4s are not great but are still about 10 times better than a wiiu gamepad.

Comment

Do you mean DS4 as DS3s last for ages anyway? If so where did you get a proper battery for a fiver please?
                No I meant DS3s. I never found them particularly reliable, but then we've already established that I have quite a love-hate relationship with wireless devices and battery life. Also it must've been eBay. I just remember they were inexpensive but made my PS3 much more usable.

It's probably to do with how the PS3 doesn't charge the pads when on standby, unlike the Xbox 360 or Nintendo Switch.

Comment

@Marius share your impressions once the sonic game lands please. Once it clicks it really is quite good as it feels so Sega.
                  First impression is annoyance that it isn't designed for play on the tablet only, it seems. Tried to play it in bed last night, and the tablet just showed the HUD / map and the rear-view mirror view.

Will give it a proper go tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                    First impression is annoyance that it isn't designed for play on the tablet only, it seems. Tried to play it in bed last night, and the tablet just showed the HUD / map and the rear-view mirror view.

Will give it a proper go tonight.
                    Slide your fingers down the screen and it pulls the TV display down to the pad.

Comment

Well, stuff me with onions, I never knew that.

Comment

A lot of people complained that the game pad looked like a fisher price toy but I have to say that after using it for a while it’s pretty spiffy ergonomically speaking as it fits perfectly into your hands, is well balanced and everything is where it should be.

Contrast that to pretty much any other handheld and you’ll see how they are only comfortable with an extra grip as they were designed for style and not function.

Maybe it’s just the OD of quality arcade racing talking but I really do like the Wii U... and all ten of its good games

Looking into emulation next, apparently FBA works perfectly so that’ll be interesting to check as I spoke to a guy who has since got rid of his Xbox and solely uses the U now for all of his emulation needs as the quality is that good apparently.

Anyone installed it here?

Comment

No but I'll be interested to see how you get on with it if you try it!

Comment

Will update. This guy was a total og Xbox nerd so for him to switch it up means that it must be good as that was a great emulation console but the ease/relative cheapness of stuff like wii arcade sticks and off screen play have me interested plus it looks like it handles everything bar ps1 well:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Twilight Princess - better off playing the original via vWii or getting the remaster? Also can you use the mote on the remaster or is it a game pad only job? Finally is the game any good to play for the first time now?

Comment

Control is GamePad only. Not sure how objectively well it has aged – second time round, playing on the Wii U, I found the dungeon design better than I had remembered from the Wii version. However, the overworld is barren and a total grind, while the wolf sections bored me to tears. Neither those parts of the game stand up very well today. As a game it’s definitely more good than bad on balance though.
                                Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 12-05-2018, 10:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X