No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would imagine at this point XBL, Game Pass, microtransactions etc account for the most proportion of what their Xbox division makes now with their games and hardware reaching an ever increasingly minimal line.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      Doesn’t mean they’re charging people, gfx card vendors, or developers, or gamers to use direct x)
      Its free to the public, but I sure MS charge for Windows 10 used on Work stations etc. I don't see MS having a dedicated team working on Direct X only for the good of the industry and not making a penny off it.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
        What makes you think they aren't? The console sales are slowing but I'm sure the game division is making a profit outside of development of the new hardware and software exclusives.

Plus outside of the games division they're having great success with the surface lines etc...
        That wasn't the point I was trying to make, but yes Yes I know MS Xbox division is doing well I gather for the last quarter MS gaming division brought in more dosh than Nintendo $10 billion dollars vs Nintendo $9 billion. All corps are doing rather well at the moment .

Comment

Microsoft do include Mojang and Windows 10 revenue in their figures. That said it's all about margins, margins, margins. And in that sense MS is no different. Arguably making more from less. Although of course all 3 are benefitting in the massive increase in online spend.
          Last edited by Digfox; 27-02-2019, 08:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Its free to the public, but I sure MS charge for Windows 10 used on Work stations etc. I don't see MS having a dedicated team working on Direct X only for the good of the industry and not making a penny off it.
            Direct X is an intrinsic part of Windows it’s not just for games. It’s there for all sort of audio, drawing and video related functions. Much the same way Apple has it’s Core APIs that handle similar functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
              Microsoft do include Mojang and Windows 10 revenue in their figures. That said it's all about margins, margins, margins. And in that sense MS is no different. Arguably making more from less. Although of course all 3 are benefitting in the massive increase in online spend.
              I would expect Nintendo include mobile phone games sales in their . At the moment the gaming group in MS is doing rather well, with record profits and number of LIVE accounts and never posting a loss, unlike in the 360 or OG Gen . Instead of buying every developer known to man, MS need to get the specs of the NeXt XBoX spot on and not be outclassed and outdone by SONY in the memory and GPU dept this time.

You can fix a bad launch, bad price, poor tools and various other cock up's, but you're stuck with the spec's. For me that what really hurt MS XBox One this gen. MS imo never had an In-House line up to beat Nintendo, never mind SONY but with the 360 and OG XBox it was the system to own for the better Online and for the best looking versions of 3rd party games... It was the Xbox brand ace card, that they so badly cocked up with the XBox One (until the X)
              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 27-02-2019, 08:43.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                Direct X is an intrinsic part of Windows it’s not just for games. It’s there for all sort of audio, drawing and video related functions. Much the same way Apple has it’s Core APIs that handle similar functions.
                Thanks for that mate

Comment

I would expect Nintendo include mobile phone games sales in their . At the moment the gaming group in MS is doing rather well, with record profits and number of LIVE accounts and never posting a loss, unlike in the 360 or OG Gen . Instead of buying every developer known to man.
                  1. The percentages of Windows 10/Mojang revenue almost certainly is much, much higher than anything non-platform specific Sony/Nintendo have in their figures.
                  2. Live accounts is a figure we have to be careful with because they (MS) like many companies have moved to 'softer', more BS friendly metrics and only release 'MAU' figures. But don't really categorise what constitutes one (i.e. just someone logging into the Xbox App on Windows 10 - which my PC does automatically). As they don't release numbers for premium subscribers anymore it's likely these are down or flat from historic highs last gen as sales of Xbox hardware are approximately half what 360 sold.
                  3. MS buying first party studios was absolutely required. They need those for their new streaming services and content to put on them and future games. Good move given the comparatively cheap price of some of those studios.

MS are doing well, but in part due to the huge shift to online, more subscription revenue (or likely increased ratio of users paying) and the higher margins they are enjoying in all areas. Much like their rivals.
                  Last edited by Digfox; 27-02-2019, 09:02.

Comment

1. The percentages of Windows 10/Mojang revenue almost certainly is much, much higher than anything non-platform specific Sony/Nintendo have in their figures.
                    2. Live accounts is a figure we have to be careful with because they (MS) like many companies have moved to 'softer', more BS friendly metrics and only release 'MAU' figures. But don't really categorise what constitutes one (i.e. just someone logging into the Xbox App on Windows 10 - which my PC does automatically). As they don't release numbers for premium subscribers anymore it's likely these are down or flat from historic highs last gen as sales of Xbox hardware are approximately half what 360 sold.
                    3. MS buying first party studios was absolutely required. They need those for their new streaming services and content to put on them and future games. Good move given the comparatively cheap price of some of those studios.

MS are doing well, but in part due to the huge shift to online, more subscription revenue (or likely increased ratio of users paying) and the higher margins they are enjoying in all areas. Much like their rivals.
                    No doubt Windows played it part. MS always done well out of the PC user, but the XBox divsion saw a growth of 38% in its revenue so that part o is doing ok too and MS needs to get the Hardware part right, for it to build its gaming platform around.

I wouldn't like to see its new Studios developing games based around One S tech for its gaming streams, but rather working on the best and most powerful next gen console hardwdare. I also agree with you over online, which is why I never got the outcry over the XBox One needing to be hooked up the internet at all, but there you go

Comment

MS just needs the next Xbox to be competitively on par with the PS5. If they try and outspec it across the board they'll have their asses kicked harshly by Sony. Essentially they both need systems that aggressively push hard to deliver the very most that they can for a maximum roof of £350. For MS though their success rests on so, so many other factors as well. They have a strongly identifiable brand image... that they need to start moving away from. The Xbox 'green' motif has been used every generation with a strong focus but broadly it doesn't work, you'd obviously keep elements but it's time for a refresh that begins to lessen the focus on being so familiar when MS's planned services need to broaden their appeal in other territories as well as their availability.

Software as well, thankfully and area they seem to be finally aware of and are investing in. MS's software line is borderline a joke at this point and has definitely been a huge stumbling block in their fight against PS4. I think, if Game Pass and access to Xbox services off their consoles take off, they might need to eventually consider discontinuing Xbox Live Subscription Services as well.

Comment

No doubt Windows played it part. MS always done well out of the PC user, but the XBox divsion saw a growth of 38% in its revenue.
                        Most of that growth is third party releases, i.e. increasing online spend rather than hardware or their own titles or hardware. It's very difficult to be precise about how well or badly that are doing from PC segment.

Original story (24/10/2018): It was a quiet first quarter for Microsoft's gaming division, but that didn't stop it from…

The company's Q1 2019 earnings report shows that this increase was driven largely by third-party titles in a quarter that didn't see any first-party releases.
                        Microsoft today reported earnings for its fourth fiscal quarter (ended June 30), and the results show the company's gam…

For the fourth quarter alone, Microsoft's gaming revenue came in at $2.29 billion, a 39% jump over the previous year's fourth quarter. However, Microsoft couldn't take all the credit. While Xbox-specific revenues were up 36%, the company attributed that gain primarily to the performance of third-party releases.

Comment

Most of that growth is third party releases, i.e. increasing online spend rather than hardware or their own titles or hardware. It's very difficult to be precise about how well or badly that are doing from PC segment.
                          I know and MS is making money off games sold in its Platforms be it Windows or its Consoles. So MS doesn't lose out if people game on its Windows platform or its Console platform. Its all cash for MS at the end of the day.

Like I said the gaming side of MS is doing ok and its not making huge losses like in the 360 or OG Xbox days. Going forward I hope MS gets the console Hardware side of things rite and give its teams the best platform to build their games for. Given that to me its still console gaming that gets the most exposure and the best way to show off one's games, even if PC's can do so much more.

Comment

So back on topic again?

Xbone still doomed? Yes, good, glad we cleared that up .

Onto news about the Halo Infinity box then.

Comment

Is talking about Microsoft financials not on-topic with the Xbox thread?

Comment

Is talking about Microsoft financials not on-topic with the Xbox thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X