Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I think it's clear by the naming of the system we'll have a Series XX
    I'll wait for the Vin Diesel sponsored XXX edition.

I remember liking the name Xbox 360, but Xbox One annoyed me quite a bit, because I used to refer to the OG Xbox as that. And now all the adding an 'X' to the name when it's already the Xbox feels really silly, especially when people are laughing about a possible XX and XXX.

I do like the Xbox brand though, but I agree that the marketing people haven't done a great job with the new design and name. Lots of people don't like to see a console standing vertically, so that's given a bad first impression. And the name has also become a joke/meme. Maybe it's all clever mind games from MS to stir up attention, but probably not.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Sadly JSRF and others won't come to BC due to licensing problems in JSRF's case it's the music.
    It's a shame they can't just make an emulator sort of app, so people can just insert any OG Xbox game and it simply works. All the focusing on individual games brings up issues such as licensing, so you end up with lots of games not being compatible. It's cool that games like Orta have been improved in some departments, but maybe MS should have delivered a rock solid emulation app that avoids licensing issues.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-12-2019, 23:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I do like the Xbox brand though, but I agree that the marketing people haven't done a great job with the new design and name. Lots of people don't like to see a console standing vertically, so that's given a bad first impression. And the name has also become a joke/meme. Maybe it's all clever mind games from MS to stir up attention, but probably not. .
      No issues with the style and I do have to laugh at some of the people going on about a console that stands vertically, more so the same ones who loved the PS2 when it was 1st shown off standing vertically, or the ones like John from DF going on about room, but got plenty of room of the 32X tower of Doom set up.

So one's who are fans of rivals systems, will always look to point score. The name is crap mind.

It's a shame they can't just make an emulator sort of app, so people can just insert any OG Xbox game and it simply works.
      They have, you can use your original games OG Xbox games on the One, but I guess the emu has to be downloaded digitally the music right holders would demand money..

I really don't see what's stopping SEGA from working with MS to bring the game out and just use new music for the parts it can't get the rights too. I'm sure the SEGA music studio could remix some fab new tracks for the game

I

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
        I doubt it’s even possible but would love 100% BW compatible ... looking at JSR and a few others
        I'm on more about full BC with all Xbox One games. I doubt we'll ever get 100% BC for 360 or OG Xbox games.

Comment

To those who are fans of rival systems the orientation of the system is the least of concerns.

Comment

I am a fan of Xbox and I still think the name and styling of the system are weak

They’re not football teams. I don’t unreservedly support one over another. I’m a fan of them all but there’s fun in criticising and dissecting.

Comment

No issues with the style and I do have to laugh at some of the people going on about a console that stands vertically, more so the same ones who loved the PS2 when it was 1st shown off standing vertically, or the ones like John from DF going on about room, but got plenty of room of the 32X tower of Doom set up.

So one's who are fans of rivals systems, will always look to point score. The name is crap mind.

They have, you can use your original games OG Xbox games on the One, but I guess the emu has to be downloaded digitally the music right holders would demand money..

I really don't see what's stopping SEGA from working with MS to bring the game out and just use new music for the parts it can't get the rights too. I'm sure the SEGA music studio could remix some fab new tracks for the game

I
              You’d think they would of just used their own original music, or purchased the music outright, so licensing nonsense doesn’t come back on them later with all these games.

Seems like every old Sega game gets stuck with no licences for all its music and or imagery, and cant be re released ever again without remaking it almost from scratch.

Which is a massive shame.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                You’d think they would have just used their own original music, or purchased the music outright, so licensing nonsense doesn’t come back on them later with all these games.
                I don't think the music rights for Cibbo ' Birthday Cake ' Ect are available . Games of that Era will have issues. I don't think many developer's thought in 2001 they'll be a demand for their games to be BC online.

It's not just SEGA , I'm sure some of the SingStar tracks have been taken down, thanks to music rights . I guess SEGA could remix a new music tracks but for a niche game I doubt it's worth it .

Comment

Even something like Rock Band has had issues with licenses lapsing so DLC hasn't been transferrable to newer versions.

Comment

I like the OG Xbox design, so I can like unpopular designs. Love my Halo green Xbox.

The Series X design has definitely grown on me over the past week, so I now think it looks OK. The most important thing is it running cool and quiet, so hopefully it will be really quiet like the One X but with much more power.

I'm just talking about MS making a simple emulator app(maybe built into the interface) and don't get involved in promoting games. So if users own an OG Xbox disc they can just play it. If you own a physical disc -- and MS own the OG Xbox rights -- then there shouldn't be any issues surrounding games like JSRF etc... I think it's the way MS focuses on individual games and promotes them that causes copyright issues. I can see why re-releases/compilations of old games with music tracks can have issues, such as Crazy Taxi, because you're once again selling the games and have to pay royalties. But if someone owns an OG Xbox game, they should be free to use it with an emulator without copyright issues.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-12-2019, 00:04.

Comment

I like the OG Xbox design, so I can like unpopular designs. Love my Halo green Xbox.

The Series X design has definitely grown on me over the past week, so I now think it looks OK. The most important thing is it running cool and quiet, so hopefully it will be really quiet like the One X but with much more power.
                      I hated the look of the OG Xbox, but who really cared when the console was that good. It took until the Crystal Xbox before I sorted of liked the look of an Xbox in the TV unit.

I don't think names or looks matter that much, the NES sold millions in the west, despite being the ugliest console in the history of consoles and looking like a Breezeblock under one TV and I very much doubt Japanese gamers were getting confused and couldn't distinguish from NEC PC range to that of NEC PC-Engine

I think it's the way MS focuses on individual games and promotes them that causes copyright issues.
                      It's a sad issue for quite a few classic games, no doubt even some of the old Fifa and Tony Hawk games ECT. Anyone who uploads to YouTube knows the pain of music rights. I remember one of my mates getting a revenue strike/request for a tiny bit of music played in his wedding video LOL.

I think Jon Hare made a great point back in the day, with how nuts it was all getting; Where you had the likes of Sun or Shoot magazine/paper able to use real players names and their actual photo's and not pay a penny, while Sensible Soccer would have had to pay a ton of money to use players names.

I love to have the model you describe because we could play Outrun 2 as well then, but I think in the online world that isn't possible sadly

Comment

I love to have the model you describe because we could play Outrun 2 as well then, but I think in the online world that isn't possible sadly
                        Did the PS3 backwards compatibility have problems with copyrighted music etc.. ??? I just remember the feature being built into the machine so users could load any PS2 game they wanted. It's a shame you can't just do that with the Xbox One.

Comment

Did the PS3 backwards compatibility have problems with copyrighted music etc.. ??? I just remember the feature being built into the machine so users could load any PS2 game they wanted. It's a shame you can't just do that with the Xbox One.
                          I assume you're referring to the hardware bc in the early PS3s and the hardware/software bc in the models before the Slim(which wouldn't be subject to copyright issues), but I believe the PS2 Classics range would be the closest to how Xbox does it - fully software emulated, with specific optimisations for those games.

It seems like the PS2 Classics all use the same base emulator, but with game-specific configurations. I don't know if PS3 system updates increased the emulator's general compatibility at all.

Suppose MS let you play any game you want, but display a warning for games that aren't certified compatible. Sounds good to me, but they'll get complaints from people who will expect everything to simply work. I'm sure they're being cautious by not allowing just any game.

Same goes for the PS3 Slims. They could just allow you to play PS2 games with the caveat that only those available on the PSN Store will definitely play well. In fact, that's how it is with my jailbroken PS3. But the risk/reward ratio is too high from a support/PR perspective.

Comment

NO, and one could play JSRF on their 360 But today emu uses online for updates Ect. So I doubt its possible

Comment

I'm sure they've got their reasons for executing BC in the way that they have, mostly related to the customer experience. By working on each game by hand, they can ensure that when you do play it, it's perfect. It was a judgement call they had to make between that and one-size-fits-all which would work great for some games, but have lots of problems with others. Pretty annoying to, for example, play 75% of the way through an RPG then encounter a game breaking emulation bug. That's what they've sought to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                But the risk/reward ratio is too high from a support/PR perspective.
                                Yeah, that makes sense. It's a shame there isn't a totally rock solid way of emulating the OG Xbox so people can just play any game they happen to own.

NO, and one could play JSRF on their 360 But today emu uses online for updates Ect. So I doubt its possible
                                I now realise why MS have to worry about copyright issues, so they can't just get more and more OG Xbox games on the system if there is copyrighted music etc... But at least we know the chosen OG games will run well and look really nice.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                That's what they've sought to avoid.
                                They've definitely done a great job with the OG games they've optimised so far, so hopefully we'll see more and more as time goes by. We probably won't see JSRF or OutRun 2006 though.
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-12-2019, 19:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X