No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the sounds of things with third party stuff it will come down to how much PS5 does the heavy lifting automatically as I can't imagine devs making much effort to make the most of it when the difference will be so small between the two platforms to begin with. Exclusives wise it'll be an easy advantage for Sony by comparison, MS doesn't have a single studio that comes close to what Sony's are able to do with the tech. Gears 5 is probably the benchmark and it's miles behind what Sony has been putting out because MS focused on framerate and illusionary techniques like 2D backdrops.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      What the actual **** are you talking about? Why have you brought up faster loading?
      Loading and sound is now quite the big deal on RestEra. I don't think many really cared for it in the Saturn days or even with the Game Cube which still IMO as the fastest loading times for any optical gaming system.

At the end of the day, the Series X has the faster CPU and the better GPU and no amount of faster loading is going to recoup that

Comment

But I made absolutely no mention of loading times anywhere in my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          But I made absolutely no mention of loading times anywhere in my post.
          So other than 'Speed' how will the PS 5 out do the Series X on a technical level? Since most 3rd party games are developed on a PC, I don't see how the 'Speed' will be a big gain for non exclusive titles, unless SONY brings out the tech for PC manufacturers

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            So other than 'Speed' how will the PS 5 out do the Series X on a technical level? Since most 3rd party games are developed on a PC, I don't see how the 'Speed' will be a big gain for non exclusive titles, unless SONY brings out the tech for PC manufacturers
            I think you need to read some technical information about IO throughputs and bottlenecks. You've read the bigger numbers on the Xbox and assumed that makes it the better console. This isn't just about SSD speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              I think you need to read some technical information about IO throughputs and bottlenecks. You've read the bigger numbers on the Xbox and assumed that makes it the better console. This isn't just about SSD speeds.
              Faster CPU far more powerful GPU one would think would win out over bottlenecks, its seems to win out with PC''s over the years.
              1st Party stuff will be different, but can't see 3rd parties changing much from developing on the PC and looking to bring it down to the consoles.

Comment

Faster CPU far more powerful GPU one would think would win out over bottlenecks, its seems to win out with PC''s over the years.
                1st Party stuff will be different, but can't see 3rd parties changing much from developing on the PC and looking to bring it down to the consoles.
                Your comparing PCs with what? Less powerful consoles? Not a comparison.

Comment

Your comparing PCs with what? Less powerful consoles? Not a comparison.
                  PC have bottlenecks but brute force wins out. Unless Series X has tons of bottlenecks and poor tools. Can't see how SONY can make up the 2 Teraflop GPU and slower clock of the CPU, for 3rd party games.

Comment

TA just stop will you.

SeriesX has a bit more grunt.

PS5 can move everything though itself at twice the speed.

Both will end up evening out long term.

Also Sony will be taking full advantage of their console out the box, no multi gen games getting in the way. MS will end up with compromised visions constantly holding into the old gens.

Also lets leave reset discussions on there shall we, this isn’t that place.

Comment

The whole "all games will run on every Xbox" is the reason I've bought a One X. There's a few exclusives I want to play (Gears 5, Horizon 4, Crackdown 3) but the admission that there'll be no games exclusively for the Series X for at least 18 months is going to lead to some compromises on pushing the technical envelope.

When they do come, I'm sure that the Series X exclusives will be huge but at the start having the most powerful console won't matter as the games will be tethered somewhat to the past.

Comment

That's the main problem. If you remember the PS5 tech reveal he talked about the new technology offering new ways to design levels and games. But the new Xbox will be tied to the previous generation. This goes beyond graphics. Yes the games will look better on the XsX, but the games themselves will be designed in the old way.

Comment

What exactly has microsoft said about the no games exclusively for series X for 18 months? Surely that would just apply to Microsoft published games?
                          If a third party develops a next-gen game for ps5 and wants to release it simultaneously for series x there's no chance microsoft will say 'no thanks, keep that a ps5 exclusive.'

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            TA just stop will you.

SeriesX has a bit more grunt.

PS5 can move everything though itself at twice the speed.

Both will end up evening out long term.

Also Sony will be taking full advantage of their console out the box, no multi gen games getting in the way. MS will end up with compromised visions constantly holding into the old gens.

Also lets leave reset discussions on there shall we, this isn’t that place.
                            Spare one the Sony Defence Force reply. You really think MS have gone to all the trouble and expense of making a 12 teraflop GPU and also use its own custom memory system to be held back by Xbox One development.

Dream on .

Comment

That's the main problem. If you remember the PS5 tech reveal he talked about the new technology offering new ways to design levels and games. But the new Xbox will be tied to the previous generation. This goes beyond graphics. Yes the games will look better on the XsX, but the games themselves will be designed in the old way.
                              Series X isn't tied to the previous gen . Don't think MS is going to all the trouble of having of Ray Tracing, Variable Rate Shading, Direct Machine Learning, Mesh Shading, custom Nvme SSD only for it's games to look and play hardly any better than if on the One S.

Comment

Spare one the Sony Defence Force reply. You really think MS have gone to all the trouble and expense of making a 12 teraflop GPU and also use its own custom memory system to be held back by Xbox One development.

Dream on .
                                But MS have literally said its games are going to be available 'up and down the generations'. It's not a 'Sony Defence force' (whatever the **** that is), its actual words from MS.

Comment

Working...
                                X