No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the last sales update PSVR sales are a little over 5m which is why it's so heavily dependent on PCVR ports. Unless Sony gears up its support (unlikely) the best PSVR2 will get is consistency with the output seen on the first gen units. If PCVR popularity falters next gen there'll definitely be a shortfall in support hard. PSVR works so much better than it has any right too but I'd agree with the Vita comparisons in how Sony will take the sales but not ensure the support is where it should be. Given how Alyx sold well but failed to cause the long mooted VRevolution in popularity I feel it's safe to say it's not coming. If MS could get XSX to support PC headsets that would be decent but they were on the money in not getting involved themselves
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 17-06-2020, 17:12.

Comment

Some of the WMR headsets are really quite impressive. I’ve used the HP Reverb for sim racing and it smokes the PSVR for image quality. The Reverb 2 rebadged and sold at cost would be a great Xbox VR unit.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post

I guess that's the problem with VR. You can't explain how good it is or try it out without having the kit and simple videos don't do it justice.
        Yeah, the only way to realise how incredible Astro Bot is, is to put the VR headset on. I trusted people when they said it was "amazing" and I wasn't disappointed -- it's a moment in my gaming life that I'll never forget.

Comment

I see eurogamer are being very positive about the new Grounded demo for Xbox and PC.

This is one first party game I didn't even consider but it sounds really well realised.

I love how this thread has been all about PlayStation and the PS5 thread all about Xbox... Lol.

I would love to see Xbox get VR because I think there's several games on it already which could be incredible in VR.... Forza Horizon being the obvious one.

I'm pretty sure MS will venture into the market in this generation but only when the decent wireless tech becomes mass market affordable.

Comment

Nah, MS aren't going to do VR.

Hololens is the closest they've ventured and that isn't exactly big business for them.

Comment

It would be a shame because it's so easy for MS. All they have to do is say the PCVR headset are compatible. They don't have to make them.

Comment

There’s too much variation between different Windows VR units they would need to pick one to be used on console. And marketing people would want a dedicated Xbox unit to promote.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  It would be a shame because it's so easy for MS. All they have to do is say the PCVR headset are compatible. They don't have to make them.
                  This is precisely how I think they'll do it. VR right now is a wait and see for MS. There is no way they have ruled it out entirely... It's more a case of when is it viable and how...

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    I mean, I think there's probably a bit more work to it than that. Like building out the software infrastructure, engaging developers to port and create games, marketing it, providing customer support...

If anything, making all PC VR headsets work would probably be more of a headache than anything else. It makes all of those things much more difficult, because you're trying to do it for 20+ different pieces of hardware, rather than just one.

Either way, it's a significant investment. I think they're doing the right thing by doubling down on the basics at the moment.

Comment

If the rumoured Series S console aimed at 1080p screens is real that would made VR support a lot more difficult. The gap in fidelity between S and X would be particularly noticeable on a VR headset. Xbox VR only being available on series X would potentially p*ss off people who bought the series S who then become second class citizens. Would people who buy the cheaper system be the same people that buy expensive peripherals?

Comment

Dirt 5 launches on PC via Steam, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on 9th October 2020, Codemasters has announced.The PlayStat…

DiRT 5 is confirmed for October with next-gen versions to follow. Always nice to at the least see November launches be confirmed

Comment

6th November for Xbox.

PS5 the week after again.

Comment

I see news is tricking through now ahead of a July update on first party titles.

It looks like The Banished from Halo Wars 2 will be some of the main enemies in Halo Infinite after a short teaser video released earlier this week.

MS have released a guide as to what "Optimised" for Series X means. All stuff we know, but specifically it mentions a performance target of 4K60. I do note it says target, but it's good to see that's the expectation.

Finally Phil Spencer has talked about it not being all about graphics and it's more about the atmosphere and immersion. So higher frame rates, less loading times etc... Taken in consideration with the other news it seems that 4K60 target will be the norm with only key titles going for 120fps such as first party titles that would benefit from it.

He also mentions how critical the all access model will be for selling the console now we're living with the pandemic. Obviously theyve already dabbled with getting consoles on 24m subscriptions in a few territories but it sounds like this will be a standard offering for more countries going forwards.

Comment

Talk of it de-emphasising graphics on the Series X will not go down well in some circles, sounds a bit like a concession of expectations. The other two are important but rely on art direction far more than anything else which Sony has them beat at by a mile. I bet you can count on one hand how many games outside of small XBL games support 120fps too, far too much of a compromise on the systems abilities to support something I'd wager less than even 1% of users would ever use.

Comment

No doubt they started to re-evaluate things on the bluster front once they saw Horizon2 running.

Comment

Working...
                                X