Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
    What I would like to know is what does next gen look like? And how on earth do you get the improvements across in a wee video on social media?
    It's very hard but I think they have to show a reason to buy next-gen. Ideally with something, simple that goes viral (in a good way), i.e. Marvel Spider-Man with zero loading times. At the very least show some actual games with someone playing; warts and all. It only takes one or two games shown this way/doesn't need to be final or actual hardware. Fans are really fed up with ultra quick cut, prerendered, 'approximation of gameplay on actual Xbox Series X' and CGI heavy trailers.

I think that gets them a far more positive reception. Microsoft have to make up more ground than their competitors (Xbox is a trojan for their services afterall) and I think they are doing great things. As mentioned they should have pitched that show differently and the reaction would have been different.

Also a much better 'gameplay' presentation of AC:Valhalla would have helped massively. I think that's the kicker. Microsoft should get a refund from Ubisoft for that trailer!

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      Yeah that is a struggle alright... And given everything is online only with no game events in sight that is all they can do is stream and release full 4K video in the hope some people might watch it in full resolution.
      Streaming is fine, No doubt with the internet getting smashed at the mo, MS decided to use low bandwidth so the stream wouldn't go down. Usually, it streams the E3 briefing in 4k no issues. There's also a lot of flame-baiting going on, but with SONY fans on the back foot, for tech I guess its to be expected, while they look for any small crumb of comfort, they can get.

One can clearly see jumps in some of the games and with over 6 months to go, we'll see more. I remember MS getting grief with the 360 showing at E3 2005. No big jumps and poor frame rates and how Killzone 2 and Motorstorm looked so much better; I seem to remember, EDGE Mag even saying SONY shows.. MS how to do E3 (shame all the demo's were fake mind).

I remember Halo getting smashed in E3 2001: With the likes of IGN saying, the switch to console, had done the game no favours and the framerate was terrible. IGN crap back then and crap now...

Comment

Graphics are one thing, but I wanted MS to show some games I'd actually want to play. Nothing shown actually interested me. I've never liked AC and everything else was meh.
        I know there is still time to show stuff, but where are the puzzle games and fighting games or other left field games that draw interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          Graphics are one thing, but I wanted MS to show some games I'd actually want to play. Nothing shown actually interested me.
          I can't think where Console manufacture ever showed any real detailed gameplay videos with more than 6 months to go. In most cases its usually tech demo's, a few trailers and then the wait to see playable stuff in E3, or back in the 'good old day' when the Toyko game show was held in June.

Comment

Ryse and Killzone SF were shown at E3 in 2013. Also we are only 6 months out, not over 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
              Ryse and Killzone SF were shown at E3 in 2013. Also we are only 6 months out, not over 6 months.
              Yeah in middle of June and that's when one would expect to see the playable stuff and even then it can get bashed like with the 360.
              We're in May and full lockdown and already seen some stuff a bit earlier than planned

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Yeah in middle of June and that's when one would expect to see the playable stuff and even then it can get bashed like with the 360.
                We're in May and full lockdown and already seen some stuff a bit earlier than planned
                No the point is, it has been done before (you said it hadn't). A few weeks isn't going to matter we're in the same place. The difference is these weren't first-party games. Which then comes back to the why they decided to lead with this, and why the messaging was so bad. Ubisoft will absolutely be showing more of AC:Valhalla at their show.

Agreed the lockdown does matter, but that's the same for everyone.

Comment

There's also a lot of flame-baiting going on, but with SONY fans on the back foot, for tech I guess its to be expected, while they look for any small crumb of comfort, they can get.
                  One does realise that one has done the exact thing that one has accused "SONY fans" of doing, doesn't one? That statement above is flame-baiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                    No the point is, it has been done before (you said it hadn't). A few weeks isn't going to matter we're in the same place. The difference is these weren't first-party games. Which then comes back to the why they decided to lead with this, and why the messaging was so bad. Ubisoft will absolutely be showing more of AC:Valhalla at their show.

Agreed the lockdown does matter, but that's the same for everyone.
                    I said I can barley think of a time and you come back with E3 and we are still May (yes I do remember, E3 used to be In May) never mind the point about 'gameplay'. Usually, we see a new demos a few clips and then the gameplay comes in June or latter; if one looks back to run up of the DC and PS launch in Japan.

I also would have thought that lockdown, it might be easier for the Console manufacturer to keep track and better able to pick, what content to show off from their In House teams, Given their direct feeds and communication, compared to 3rd parties? . It's no like you can visit the 3rd party studios and check in on them and pick the content.

That's to look over ... How I thought some of the games looked mighty fine and a jump, even in crappy 1080p. I'm sort of worried how the lockdown might effect game music , if they need a big orchestra for the music in the run up to launch for something like Halo mind
                    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 11-05-2020, 09:36.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      One does realise that one has done the exact thing that one has accused "SONY fans" of doing, doesn't one? That statement above is flame-baiting.
                      Sorry, didn't mean to spoil your fun of flame baiting

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        Even at pre launch events what’s the chances of the demo consoles being hooked up to TVs that have been setup correctly?
                        This might actually be a non issue. I know MS have partnered with Samsung and I figure Sony would partner with themselves?

These now plug in via HDMI 2.1 and part of that standard allows automatic game mode so basically the TV should detect the console and immediately set the best mode, latency etc...

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to spoil your fun of flame baiting
                          Well, y'know. It gives me something to do during lockdown.

Comment

There is no next gen from everything I've seen about the up and coming systems.

Comment

I said I can barley think of a time and you come back with E3 and we are still May (yes I do remember, E3 used to be In May) never mind the point about 'gameplay'.
                              May doesn't really matter as MS would have likely shown off the same thing as part of their existing June E3 show. Digital Foundry made the exact same point about E3 2013 and that gameplay has been shown at this point in the cycle before.

And no they can't pick third party content which is why their decision to hype this up as the big unveiling of their next-gen was a mistake.
                              Last edited by Digfox; 11-05-2020, 10:59.

Comment

We should keep a tally. Anyone found flame-posting would have to add £5 to a virtual 'flame-post jar' whose contents would serve to cover the costs of keeping the forum running.

Or, for a bit of added fun, they could be used to buy [MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION] a 'next-gen' console from the company whose 'defence force' flame-posted the least.

Comment

Working...
                                X