Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
    I played it really late so it was likely fixed mostly, it had is fair share of frame rate issues but no hard crashes
    Fair enough - that's a good experience.

I only played this summer (so patch 1.10 - only one or two patches since then I believe) and I can't recall another game causing my PS4 Pro to crash to the dashboard like that. Frame rate definitely fluctuated, although the bigger issues was the frame-time spikes and the latency that introduced. I don't personally think Control was either really ready at launch or polished enough on the consoles (even now).

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
      Fair enough - that's a good experience.

I only played this summer (so patch 1.10 - only one or two patches since then I believe) and I can't recall another game causing my PS4 Pro to crash to the dashboard like that. Frame rate definitely fluctuated, although the bigger issues was the frame-time spikes and the latency that introduced. I don't personally think Control was either really ready at launch or polished enough on the consoles (even now).
      yeah its not optimal but i enjoyed the setting and game play enough to overlook it's issues, the ps4 pro had so many poorly optimized games in its end of life that you kind of got used to it. tThe difference between ps4 and 5 with Control is not about this massive leap of fidelity all cross gen updates seem to be about stability loading times, and resolution.

Comment

The changes made for Control: Ultimate Edition

• Performance Mode – Targets 60fps performance with 1440p render resolution and 4K output
        • Graphics Mode– Targets 30fps performance with ray tracing (transparency and reflections) at 1220p render resolution and 4K output
          • NOTE: Only the Performance mode is available on Xbox Series S. It is targeting 60fps with no ray tracing, at 900p render resolution, and 1080p output. This is a limitation of the hardware, not the game.

• PS5 DualSense Support – Support for vibrations and triggers.
        • PS5 Activities and Help – Cards and videos that help guide you through the game, and keep track of your progress.

Comment

Buyers of Control: Ultimate Edition are kicking off for refunds after the reveal it's coming to PS+

Comment

Balls to them/us (the buyers). Companies have the right to sell their product however they choose. Not all of the customers who bought it in the sale will subscribe to PS+. And besides, getting it on PS+ is only a licence to play for as long as you subscribe. You don't own it.

Confession: I subscribe to PS+ and also have the Ultimate Edition paid for. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.
            Last edited by Golgo; 28-01-2021, 14:39.

Comment

That this spruced up version isn't compatible with your previous save file is a pisser, it would be nice to play the season pass DLC without having to go through 20 hours of game-play again. their really is no excuse save compatibility is such a basic thing.

Failing that put in a bloody cheat mode that lets you skip to the end with the average load out people have at the game end so they can carry on and do the dlc.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 28-01-2021, 15:15.

Comment

Targets 30fps on ps5/SeriesX? Errrrm think ill wait until its a locked 60fps with ray tracing thanks.

Comment

It looks like such a cool game performance issues aside. I for one will definitely be giving it a shot on ps+

Comment

From the bits picked up on Era the team working on the UE edition is incredibly small and once this ships the company has zero intention to work on it any further so no better performance modes will be coming to console

Comment

Yeah I mean it's lip service to a next gen upgrade really... It's been a crap show from start to finish with this one from the original news the upgrade wasn't free and early adopters would have to double dip to finding out the base game was hitting free services just before the next gen update releases...

I actually bought the next gen version when it was on sale 60% off just before Xmas, think I paid £15? I think that's all I'm prepared to shell out for what is still the best version consoles are going to get, but not as good as it could be.

I'd love to see digital foundry dive back in on this one.

Comment

Oh well, no 60fps no sale on this one, performance looked shonky on last gen and to “target 30fps” on next gen is just laziness.

Comment

Hasn't it been widely suggested that 4k / 60fps / RT on most titles will be an unlikely target, even on new hardware?

I think I can be happy taking two of those (4k @ 60) on a game I'm getting on PS+

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            Hasn't it been widely suggested that 4k / 60fps / RT on most titles will be an unlikely target, even on new hardware?

I think I can be happy taking two of those (4k @ 60) on a game I'm getting on PS+
                            Spiderman launched with 60 4k, or ray tracing 4k 30fps it wasn't until quite a bit later that they worked out how to do 60 with ray tracing so i think as dev's get more of a handle on the hardware stuff like this will be possible. The control Dev's couldn't even get save files working between versions so it shows you how much resource they have put into this.

Comment

I can't even play my copy of control Ultimate edition here in Japan. The bloody game won't download the additional data it needs so I'm stuck not that far in where you can hear the guy singing and you got to the elevator to check it out.
                              The game just says "waiting for data to dowoad". Why isn't it on the bloody disc!!? Since the game wasn't release in Japan I can't download the data even if I try the UK store. It just hangs. So pissed off about that.

Comment

Spider-man remastered didn't launch with save files between versions either. It's not necessarily about developer resources or so-called "laziness" with regards to certain features or performance. Sony isn't as cross gen as MS so there mught be platform or service compatibility issues that prevent it. An engine or tech change may cause incompatibility.

As for the target of 30 fps, different engines are coded in different ways. Who knows where the bottlenecks are? There could be all sorts of things that would limit the performance and it almost certainly isn't laziness. Keep in mind that Remedy are an independent studio who develop games with publishers under contract. Those contracts probably contractually require a head count per month and if Remedy haven't got the staffing, they haven't got the staffing. Hiring people just to get to a solid 30fps isn't viable as those people don't know the engine and you divert resources to them you take away from your other contractual obligations.

Or the business doesn't make sense. If they project the next gen version will sell a certain amount of copies, they can only put a certain amount of resources into it. Or 505 don't want to pay for it. All of the Epic store exclusivity and the Ultimate Edition upgrade stuff people got wound up about all comes from the publisher, not the dev.

I'm not saying that Remedy are in the right or absolving them of responsibility but throwing around nonsense about laziness is stupid. No one in the industry is lazy, there are a billion things that prevent us from doing something be it hardware, tech, time or budget. Don't forget the Spider-man engine was developed as part of the PS5 development in conjunction with Sony, it is unfair to compare their performance as a multi platform indepedent studio to a studio owned by a console manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                                X