No announcement yet.

Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok toggled Graphics mode on PS5 and this is utterly unplayable at 30fps, so bad in fact it triggers my motion sickness. Fine at 60fps and enjoying it on the whole.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Ok toggled Graphics mode on PS5 and this is utterly unplayable at 30fps, so bad in fact it triggers my motion sickness. Fine at 60fps and enjoying it on the whole.
      Completely agree. I've been playing Tomb Raider at 30 and it's fine. This is very jarring.
      I don't know why it can't have a performanceRT mode like spiderman. The areas arent exactly lavish.

Comment

I realised why Miles Morales is so good even in Graphics mode, Insomniac are using the ssd to instantly load everything, so even at 30fps (locked in MM) with rt everything is smooth as a button.

In this its an utter blurring mess and really set me off with motion sickness after about 3 mins, my partner had the same as well while watching me play, RT just isn’t worth it in this. Obviously this wasn’t built from the ground up to take advantage of ssds as standard.

Its ok in 60fps though, will have to stick to that.
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 07-02-2021, 15:19.

Comment

Just thinking about this, it's probably one of the few occasions that pc is holding back the consoles.
          There is no reason why the Xbox and PS5 can't have a performanceRT mode, but Control also needs to run on PC and they can't guarantee all pcs have a super fast SSD.
          Saying that, on PC you can just turn all the settings to max if your pc can do it, so it's not that pc get the worst version.

Comment

I doubt the SSDs have much to do with ray tracing performance it’s all about the CPU and GPU really. Ray tracing is very computationally expensive and the RDNA2 hardware in the consoles doesn’t provide hardware acceleration for much of the work required.
            Miles Morales uses some smart compromises to the ray tracing quality and distance to get to 60fps.
            I doubt we’ll see too many 60fps games with loads of ray traced features but with just one or two carefully used effects to enhance a game scene.

Comment

Not sure why you think that. I'm playing on graphics mode on Series X and it is perfectly playable. No different than other games at 30fps.

Comment

I realised why Miles Morales is so good even in Graphics mode, Insomniac are using the ssd to instantly load everything, so even at 30fps (locked in MM) with rt everything is smooth as a button.

In this its an utter blurring mess and really set me off with motion sickness after about 3 mins, my partner had the same as well while watching me play, RT just isn’t worth it in this. Obviously this wasn’t built from the ground up to take advantage of ssds as standard.

Its ok in 60fps though, will have to stick to that.
                Switch off the motion blur in 30fps mode. It makes the game much better.

Comment

Tried that its still unplayable at 30fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Not sure why you think that. I'm playing on graphics mode on Series X and it is perfectly playable. No different than other games at 30fps.
                    I don’t “think” it triggers my motion sickness at 30fps it does, this isn’t an opinion.

Comment

I don’t “think” it triggers my motion sickness at 30fps it does, this isn’t an opinion.
                      That's a shame. Exhumed on the Saturn used to make me sick after a 30 minute or so session.

Comment

Miles Morales performance RT isn't because of the SSD. That game runs on PS4 so cannot rely on everything being loaded near instantly from the SSD. RT also isn't based on SSD load times, ray tracing is done on the fly and is affected by CPU and GPU bottlenecks.

I cannot stress enough that it really isn't sensible to compare a game by an independent studio with a first party Sony game in terms of performance. Spiderman was built hand in hand with Sony hardware engineers and has a budget orders of magnitude bigger than Controls. I am not saying you're wrong for being dissatisfied with something you've purchased but people need to realise that all of the promise of next gen machines can only be taken advantage of by first party PS5 exclusives. Every other game currently has to run on PS4 and PC due to the install base and making a game look incredible AND have 60fps ray tracing is out of reach for most developers due to man power, budget and time.

Also, in Control's case, the destruction and physics that it is doing is placing a huge load on the CPU which will prevent them from doing locked 60 and RT and all that.

Again, if you're dissatisfied, fine but people need to understand the reality of the situation.

Comment

I played it last gen which was 30fps (Sub 30 in places thanks to the crappy engine), it was perfectly playable for me and the majority of reviewers, do games at 30fps normally make you feel ill? I guess you have never played a PS4 then
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 08-02-2021, 09:43.

Comment

We had a lot of people complaing about motion sickness on Paradise Killer. 30fps doesn't help but it's normally a combination of the FOV, motion blur and camera acceleration. People got motion sick in PK when they were running at 60. We added options to turn of motion blur and increase the FOV and it solved it for a lot of people.

Comment

I think it might be last gen (ps4) games running at 4k on my new tv, possibly, at 30fps (samsung qt80), had to stop playing Lou2 due to the same issue, scenery blurring and jarring so bad that it makes by eyes hurt when turning. Never had this issue on ps4 games at 1080p.
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 08-02-2021, 10:30.

Comment

I think it might be last gen (ps4) games running at 4k on my new tv, possibly, at 30fps (samsung qt80), had to stop playing Lou2 due to the same issue, scenery blurring and jarring so bad that it makes by eyes hurt when turning. Never had this issue on ps4 games at 1080p.
                                dose it have a gaming mode lots of modern TVS put all sorts of post processing into the image which can cause massive amounts of input lag. My Sony TV is pretty shocking if not put in gaming mode for this sort of stuff, (as are most modern TVs). its normally A one and done thing too as you can set up the Mode just for that HDMI channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X