X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    This can go two ways:
    Either we end up with whatever **** games China allows just because they are a big market developers want to sell to.
    Or
    They stop publishing games in China and accept whatever financial impact that might have.
    The problem is more that they basically own a huge amount of what we would consider western developers.

Like Chinese companies own Sumo, Riot Games...

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      The problem is more that they basically own a huge amount of what we would consider western developers.

Like Chinese companies own Sumo, Riot Games...
      they are interested in keeping them profitable though, and making it so they cant compete in foreign marketplaces is not within their interest. The Chinese government has shown time and time again that it keeps tight reigns on its own citizens but is more than happy to turn a blind eye if it means it can exploit other cultures around the world for profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
        they are interested in keeping them profitable though, and making it so they cant compete in foreign marketplaces is not within their interest. The Chinese government has shown time and time again that it keeps tight reigns on its own citizens but is more than happy to turn a blind eye if it means it can exploit other cultures around the world for profit.
        Exactly. Otherwise they would stop making iPhones and only sell the west their own Chinese branded manufacturers phones like HUAWEI. They still need a massive economy that ticks over on every level.

Comment

I'd forgotten about SIFU, which is looking pretty good.
          Here are a couple of recent videos:

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I'd forgotten about SIFU, which is looking pretty good.
            Here are a couple of recent videos:

I don't quite get it... Isn't that just the combat from the Batman: Arkham games with a bit more of a focus on the animation?

I mean it's okay if the answer is "yes". El Shaddai was just a streamlined Devil May Cry and that was fantastic.

Comment

I think the idea is to make a modern take on scrolling beat-em-ups.
              There are so few games like this, that Arkham is going to appear an obvious influence.

The USP on this is that if you die, you carry on but you are older.
              This means that your appearance changes and you're frailer, but also represents that you've spent time improving your technique, so you hit more precisely.

There are only so many times you can get older until you're too old to fight and have to start again, so it's got roguelike elements to it.

Sifu, on deck for a February launch on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and Windows PC, presents these questions in a novel way: by aging the player. Should the protagonist fall to his enemies, they’ll be reincarnated on the spot — continuing the fight, not doing it over, even — but it will take a few years off their life. You’ll see this in the character’s appearance.

IS ONE LIFE ENOUGH TO KNOW KUNG FU?
              As they age, the player becomes more vulnerable to enemy damage, but more precise and effective in their own strikes, Garczynski said. This reflects the character’s progressive knowledge of kung fu — “sifu,” after all, means master (as in a skilled person). This aging is not infinite — age enough, and the character will die, forcing a restart. But I found it a unique way to limit the player and increase the difficulty beyond simply giving them a finite number of tries.

“The object is getting to your vengeance before you’re too old and have to start over,” Garczynski said. He assured us that levels would be appropriately checkpointed, and that by starting over, players could either repeat the level at where they aged out, or go back to a prior level if that one had taken too many years off their life. While Sifu can be completed any number of ways, one imagines the replayability comes in finishing it all as a young woman or man, or perhaps deliberately tackling it as a wizened old master with no room for error.

The Sifu demonstration we got was an eyes-on, recorded playthrough only, but it was adequate enough to show the flow of combat and the system of unlockable combat skills supporting it. In the game, both the hero and enemies have a “structure gauge” above them. The goal: Fill up an enemy’s gauge, and prevent yours from filling. When full, the character’s guard breaks, and a finishing attack can be delivered.

As for defense, basic blocks can take a lot of the sting out of a strike, but the gauge will still fill incrementally. That’s where parries and evasions come in, helping players keep ahead in the ebb and flow of filling up enemy gauges while lowering your own.

The levels we saw looked like they were designed with nonstop motion and combat in mind, with furniture and destructible objects providing barriers or distance between you and attackers, or improvised into attacks as a ramming surface or tripping obstacle.

Fans of the Batman: Arkham series will recognize the main character’s mastery and control of the fight’s tempo and direction, with similar goals of filling up combo meters to deliver temporary perks. The focus attack, which slows the action for key strikes and calls out vital areas to hit, is one example we saw.

“There’s over 115 attacks in the game that we created with a Pak Mei kung fu master,” Garczynski said. “The kung fu style of the game is really based on Pak Mei kung fu, which is a very specific, very efficient, and grounded style. It’s not like the antics of wushu, with a lot of, you know, flying kicks. It’s very grounded. It’s very powerful, very precise.” Garczynski added that players will unlock newer and more powerful combinations and attacks as they progress, especially if they age.

Comment

Heads up for anyone still using the PS3 and PS Vita online store: from the 27th of October this year, you won't be able to directly use debit cards, credit cards, or Paypal to purchase stuff.

You'll still be able to redeem point cards and use cards and Paypal through a PC, mobile, PS4, and PS5.

Find out which features are no longer available on your PlayStation console.

Comment

After the Columbus Circle re-release of the MD version, it seems Gleylancer is getting ported to modern systems. Neat!

Comment

The highly celebrated horror retro-FPS Dusk is finally releasing on Switch (28th October) after a delay of one year. Includes the new Dusk 82 puzzle game if you pre-order (£14.89). Been looking forward to this one a lot. Some blurbs here: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...this_halloween

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post

After the Columbus Circle re-release of the MD version, it seems Gleylancer is getting ported to modern systems. Neat!
                      I'm an old fart so I don't understand the excitement for something like this. It will just be a emulated Mega Drive rom. New MD carts is exciting but a rom on a modern console? Just use a PC.

Comment

SIFU looks fantastic. It really captures the look of martial arts fights in the way that other games don't.

Comment

Future FIFA games may give up the rights to use the FIFA name, EA has said.In a blog posted ostensibly to trumpet the "…

EA says it's mulling dropping the FIFA name

Comment

Koichi Sugiyama, the composer for Dragon Quest has died at the age of 90.

I do love the music in Dragon Quest. Pity he was a complete POS.

Comment

What in the fresh hell is this more disturbingly why is this 2 i can't believe they made more than one. Guessing a game for zoomers who want that tuber fame lifestyle but don't have the skill to be popular lol.

I love weird & unusual games but i have my limits.

Comment

AH-64 (Apache) coming to DCS:

I am somewhat excited

Comment

Working...
                                X