Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook should not have the information it does and I wouldn't be in favour of any company who sells data as a part of their business demanding identity verification for any reason.

I get the problem here, obviously. And I feel way more pressure needs to be put on social media platforms to regulate their own platforms but not when it comes to more tracking data because I already think they cross too many lines with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Facebook should not have the information it does and I wouldn't be in favour of any company who sells data as a part of their business demanding identity verification for any reason.
      They actually do, now. If you create a new account today, they'll ask for your driving license. Older accounts don't need to do this as they're considered "established".

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        They actually do, now. If you create a new account today, they'll ask for your driving license. Older accounts don't need to do this as they're considered "established".
        I didn't know that. I wouldn't trust Facebook with any official documents. They are the embodiment of the '80s cyberpunk dystopia scifi writers warned us about.

Comment

I find it bonkers that they have algorithms that know everything you have the slightest interest in, plus the interests of your friends and family, plus places you've been near and the brand of dishwasher tablet you're thinking of swapping to, yet it seems incredibly hard to track if people have made abusive posts or if they've genuinely been hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I find it bonkers that they have algorithms that know everything you have the slightest interest in, plus the interests of your friends and family, plus places you've been near and the brand of dishwasher tablet you're thinking of swapping to, yet it seems incredibly hard to track if people have made abusive posts or if they've genuinely been hacked.
            Admittedly, it's because they don't know many of these things.

The saddest thing about FB's algorithms, behind all the "big data" worries, is that like all very rich companies that got wealthy off the back of a single product, they're based on something negative about humanity. Twitter got big because we love gossip. LinkedIn got big because they commoditised nepotism. FB got big because you, me, and most other people - we're just not as interesting as we think we are.

They don't really know what dishwasher tablets you use, in most cases. But they know that "white, urban, aged between 19 and 34, male, Christian background, lives in the North West, holidays once a year" generally buys Ariel, because if Ariel advertise to that group/give coupons, a higher percentage clicks them.

People get alarmed because they think their Amazon Echo is listening to them and recording/analysing everything they say because they got an advert for Burger King once after talking about Burger King. Unfortunately, what's more alarming is that this did happen, but their device wasn't snooping in them; the algorithms just predicted all of it. BK probably have adverts running this week which you don't even remember seeing, but you did.

Comment

The saddest thing about FB's algorithms, behind all the "big data" worries, is that like all very rich companies that got wealthy off the back of a single product, they're based on something negative about humanity. Twitter got big because we love gossip. LinkedIn got big because they commoditised nepotism. FB got big because you, me, and most other people - we're just not as interesting as we think we are.
              Well, that's a bit cynical, mate!

Maybe have a look at that lovely blue sky today or have a nice coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Well, that's a bit cynical, mate!

Maybe have a look at that lovely blue sky today or have a nice coffee.
                it's actually my birthday.

Comment

it's actually my birthday.
                  Ah, so one of those rueful years where you feel older?

Comment

Happy birthday mate. And cheer up, it might never happen.*

*it already has

Comment

Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl has been announced for all current platforms and expected this fall.

Pick which game you think it's ripping off the most.

Comment

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Those scoundrels!

Comment

Did Powdered Toast Man get his own series, or is Ren and/or Stimpy just too adult for the target audience?

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Those scoundrels!
                            Surely it's that Cartoon Network brawler from a while back?

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                              Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl has been announced for all current platforms and expected this fall.

Pick which game you think it's ripping off the most.
                              Battle Stadium D.O.N.

Comment

It's clearly based on Chessmaster 3000.

Comment

Working...
                                X