Ballistic NG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballistic NG

Someone recommended this to me today; it's a spiritual successor to the PS1 Wipeout titles:

BallisticNG is a high speed, all thrills anti-gravity combat racer and open modding environment developed as a tribute to old school classics such as Wipeout, Rollcage and Jet Moto.

It's only a few quid so I've gone for it, though haven't tried it yet - still the video alone is just a joy.

Spiritual successor...? Remember when there were all those spiritual successors to Flappy Bird? Couldn't move for the spiritual successors.

(this does look pretty nice though)

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Spiritual successor...? Remember when there were all those spiritual successors to Flappy Bird? Couldn't move for the spiritual successors.
      I think it's allowed to call itself that, when Sony doesn't seem too keen to make another (remember that Wipeout 2048 is 6 years old).

Comment

I feel Wipeout/F Zero homages on PC are like everytime I read the terms roguelike or Metroidvania. Mostly bringing on a deep sigh, it's so rare that the quality is remotely there but I have to say, I like the retro visual style

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          I feel Wipeout/F Zero homages on PC are like everytime I read the terms roguelike or Metroidvania. Mostly bringing on a deep sigh, it's so rare that the quality is remotely there but I have to say, I like the retro visual style
          Apparently this one is pretty good, and I normally agree with your assessment - usually I find future-racers uninspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            This one looks like an outright complete copy of Wipeout/2097. It should be good. I like being able to choose which graphics style to play with. Nice for VR and that crisp polygonal look.

Neognosis? Are these like the Psygnosis version of Playtonic?

Comment

I kinda hate it when old games just get cloned like this. At least put a spin on the older stuff. This is an outright clone from the looks of it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                I kinda hate it when old games just get cloned like this. At least put a spin on the older stuff. This is an outright clone from the looks of it.
                I get what you mean, but this thing does some impressive stuff, technically. It has a fake 240p mode, a colour dithering mode that lets it match the PS1's colour palette, and even fake perspective warping that affects polys close to the camera in the manner of the PS1. These are the 32-bit equivalent of many of the effects you see in games that ape 16-bit titles, and it's impressive work.

It also has a track editor that integrates with Steam Workshop.

Comment

I think I'm buying it, if only for VR which I don't have yet.

I reckon it probably plays a better than the new Wipeout too. lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X