No announcement yet.

Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally don't doubt the skill and artistry involved in developing this, I don't have the ability to do it. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      I personally don't doubt the skill and artistry involved in developing this, I don't have the ability to do it. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.
      Yeah SOR II running on the Mega Drive looks better than this crap

Comment

Looking nice. I'm quite excited about this actually. I wonder what other environments there will be - will they stick to strictly classic environments like the beach, the lift, etc, or will we see some new stuff? ��

Comment

Scrolling beat 'em ups without an elevator stage are just wrong.

Comment

The classic elevator “is this the last wave... nope” stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              Scrolling beat 'em ups without an elevator stage are just wrong.
              If they did not do that it would be wrong on so many levels

Comment

Personally i think it looks good i do like the animation, but think they really need to show fair bit more.....so little information since announcement

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                  Yeah true. The one in SOR2 is my fav because its so confined. You think you are kicking ass until that wave of kickboxing mofos drop in.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                    Pun intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      Pun intended?
                      yup

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Best leave him to it.
                        It's not fair to act like I'm just being a grumpy bastard. No, other people don't like the look of the game -- with some of them saying harsher things than me.

All I've done is point out how the art style looks to my eyes -- and how it doesn't appeal to me. I have no problem with people having the opposite view/opinion, but I don't like being singled out as being "unfair" when others share my view of things.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Bating, surely?
                        It would be "baiting" if other people didn't share my sentiments.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        I think these artists are skilled, and are working hard.
                        I'm not saying they're bad artists -- I'm just saying that the art style doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't say the game looks terrible, but it certainly doesn't impress me. I really wish that the game had an art style that did enthuse me.

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        Doesn't mean I have to like it though.
                        Yeah, whether someone can draw as well or not, is a moot point. Some people simply don't like what they see.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        Yeah SOR II running on the Mega Drive looks better than this crap
                        I'd really prefer SOR4 to look like a top quality Neo Geo game, or CPS2. Something in that style would have more chance of impressing me. There's something about the art style in SOR4 that makes me feel "meh".

Seeing what was achieved with SOR2 on the Mega Drive, you can only wonder what the developer could have done with the Neo Geo, or CPS2 sort of hardware. I think delivering that fantasy would have been the best move for Sega, as it would have retained retro charm but still taken SOR to another level. The HD art style chosen just doesn't look anywhere near as appealing as the art seen in Capcom's best scrolling beat 'em ups.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-12-2018, 08:49.

Comment

Edit: I had post regret. Gone.
                          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 30-12-2018, 08:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Edit: I had post regret. Gone.
                            Did you like the HD remaster of SF2? It just looked tacky to my eyes.

When it comes to SOR4, I just don't like the art style at all. I would think that artists could choose from a range of styles when creating a 2D game, so maybe the people behind SOR4 could have been clever and delivered a style that has retro charm as well as the niceties afforded by using modern hardware.

When I go back to the best Neo Geo and CPS2 arcade games, they still look really nice. I wish SOR4 impressed me in the way something like Capcom's AvP still does, despite it's very low resolution.

So I'm not an expert on art, but surely creating art for modern consoles offers a world of possibilities? I can only say that the art style chosen for SOR4 really turns me off the game. But if it really impresses some people, then good for them. I'm just being honestly critical of something that has disappointed me quite a bit, because it would have been great if looking at SOR4 enthused me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

So I'm not an expert on art, but surely creating art for modern consoles offers a world of possibilities? .
                              Why does one have to be an expert or work in the industry to have a view and opinion? It does make me laugh when I see this talk of skill, hard work Ect that when out of the window for games like Sonic IV EP:2 even if it featured nice graphics and some cool effects and dare I say it, looked a hell of lot better than this dross

SOR IV doesn't look like the classic series and looks way behind some of the better 2D efforts this and last gen. This is SEGA so I would imagine it's being done on the cheap. Shame when we really should being having a SOR IV with huge sprites and 2D graphics and effects that one would expect to see on System 32.

Arabian Fight, Revenge of Golden Axe look far more impressive than this insult to SOR.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                Why does one have to be an expert or work in the industry to have a view and opinion?
                                I'm more than happy to voice my opinion on all sorts of things games related. I see no point in people saying stuff like "Could you program a game?" "Could you compose music?" "Could you draw as well as that?" ... It's nonsensical to bring that sort of thinking to a discussion.

When I first saw SOR4, I thought "Looks like clipart graphics", and I stand by that. It might not be as bad as really basic clipart, but the overall effect makes the game look like clipart style sprites pasted into scenes. I really don't like the look of it.

So as much as I could go on about 2D art that I do like, it's not going to change how SOR4 looks. I really wish the graphics in SOR4 did appeal to me, so it's definitely a let down. It's a shame that Sega didn't commit to making SOR4 a top quality project that stayed true to the old school pixel art style but with modern flourishes. That approach might have really impressed people who don't the art style chosen.

Comment

Working...
                                X