Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Incidentally, if you want to try and not-so-great-but-interesting scroller, The TakeOver is presently £4 on the eShop.

It's not great. But it's interesting to see another developer imitate Streets of Rage with a different take on the visual approach; it's done with forced perspective 3D and a very snappy animation style. Also makes you value a bit more how well-made SoR4 is.
    That's pretty decent looking, to be fair!

We were chatting about SoR4 and it really is brilliant.
    I've played some TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and despite loving the presentation (pixelart and nostaliga-tugging sound), it's pretty basic. I doubt I'll finish it, let alone replay it, but I keep thinking of getting SoR4 on PS4 (I had it on Game Pass until it left) and it's a great game to dip into, get some challenges done or find some new characters.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

I've played some TMNT: Shredder's Revenge and despite loving the presentation (pixelart and nostaliga-tugging sound), it's pretty basic. I doubt I'll finish it, let alone replay it, but I keep thinking of getting SoR4 on PS4 (I had it on Game Pass until it left) and it's a great game to dip into, get some challenges done or find some new characters.
      It’s good on the Switch too, especially considering performance isn’t hindered at all. Suits handheld/tabletop perfectly whenever we’re out and about.

Comment

Even the boy got bored of Shredder’s Revenge half-way through. It’s easily one of the most repetitive games we’ve played. We love Turtles and I even packed it along with vol.2 of the TMNT IDW comics. It was a bit of a stinker after a couple of hours and he’s not been back.

Right now he’s bang into AvP.

Comment

That's a good shout, actually.

I could play a Switch, but they belong to my kids.
          I only really have all those sweet Dreamcast shmups of my own on there.

Generally speaking, I'll use the Miyoo Mini for travel gaming, myself, but chucking SoR4 on one of their Switches next time there's a sale could be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Yeah, one of the biggest dangers of scrolling fighters is that they can get boring, and Shredder's Revenge is around 3hrs long end-to-end. Streets of Rage 2, for comparison, is only 90 minutes long, and Final Fight is closer to an hour.

Titles like Final Fight and Knights of the Round only really work because they get difficult. If you play them with infinite continues they get dull, but if you're genuinely trying to 1-credit them, they're really exciting. Streets of Rage 2 works because it's short and varied within what it throws at you, and Streets of Rage 4 doubled-down on that by making the enemies really diverse, so there isn't really time to get bored.

I bought Shredder's Revenge and don't regret it, because it was fantastic fun for a few evenings' play and the only sesh I got to try 6-player made it worth the price of entry. But I did think it traded a lot on the visuals.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Even the boy got bored of Shredder’s Revenge half-way through. It’s easily one of the most repetitive games we’ve played. We love Turtles and I even packed it along with vol.2 of the TMNT IDW comics. It was a bit of a stinker after a couple of hours and he’s not been back.

Nice one. My boy used to enjoy the belt scrollers before he became a teenager. Now he just plays mobile phone ****. No skill involved. Just tap away at the screen. . Make sure your kid doesn't fall in to the same trap.

Comment

Ive been away from SOR4 for a while but I fired it up recently and i'm hooked on it. Currently working through getting S ranks on all difficulties.
                The gameplay is probably as good as a side scrolling beat em up can possibly get. Hopefully this next update just make it feel even better to play.
                Its a triumph and they need to start on SOR5 or Final Fight next.

Comment

Golden Axe would be nice.

Comment

And quite right too.

A better scroller than SoR4 in every sense.

Comment

Golden Axe would be nice.
                      Yeah that'd be cool. Getting combos on the little potion dropping bastards.

Comment

Some sort of announcement happening today at 4pm. Rumours say its a patch and some DLC coming soon.

Comment

It's on sale on PSN at the moment.
                          I'm hovering over the "buy" button!

Comment

I'd wait if there's an announcement at 4pm. They'll probably do a bundle deal with the new DLC.

Comment

Patch is live.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                That's a great update. Besides a ton of balancing there's new co-op moves and a customisable survival mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X