Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    "So far we have Axel and Blaze but will there be other characters?

So, in every aspect of the game we try to balance between legacy, what makes the game so good, and modernity, what will make Streets of Rage 4 a good game, what new things can we bring to it that both old fans and new gamers will like. So we do that in every aspect of the game and we do that in both character design and characters, that’s the only thing I can say."

What kind of politician non-answer is that?
    The developer is probably ppretty evasive around the questions he can't give direct answers to atm due to contractual agreements. I imagine he doesn't want to confirm additional characters before their official reveal in the future.

Tbh I wouldn't mind so much if they released the game just with an older Axel and Blaze, then added 2-3 additional characters later on after release.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      "So far we have Axel and Blaze but will there be other characters?

So, in every aspect of the game we try to balance between legacy, what makes the game so good, and modernity, what will make Streets of Rage 4 a good game, what new things can we bring to it that both old fans and new gamers will like. So we do that in every aspect of the game and we do that in both character design and characters, that’s the only thing I can say."

What kind of politician non-answer is that?
      Running it through Google Translate:

"We're introducing new characters but would rather not have death/rape threats directed at ourselves and/or our families. Fans be crazy, dawg. Peace out."

Comment

Can pixel art be HD? Why do we always get either chunky pixel NES style graphics or clipart style graphics? Why can't developers of modern 2D games just get artists to draw graphics like people did in the 80s and 90s -- only in HD? I say this because I don't think 'pixel art' has to equal over the top chunky pixel NES style graphics -- and I hate 'clipart' style graphics.

I'd probably like this new Streets of Rage if it had modern chunky pixel NES style graphics, even if that would annoy me a bit, because I really hate the clipart style the dev has chosen. There's always something flat and uninviting about the clipart style.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-10-2018, 07:56.

Comment

Unfortunately not. I mean, yeah, technically it’s probably all pixel art because it is made of pixels but once you hit a certain res it ceases to be what we consider pixel art and, when that happens, you get pretty much what we see here. The same approach of how the images are created isn’t feasible above a certain resolution.

Comment

I really like these types of graphics. Pixel art is great when done well but it's not the be all and end all. I'd love a future Sonic Mania that used high resolution hand drawn graphics like this.

Comment

I reckon Mania was a safer project to go with the pixel visuals as they'd already had the burn of Sonic 4 and they had Forces to cater to newer audiences. Sonic's name sells as well as countless bad entries have proven.

Streets of Rage comes in from a very different angle. It's a dead property from the 16 bit age in an all but dead genre, it's a niche fanbase too. Sega's best course of trying to ensure profitability is likely to court newer audiences as well for who these visuals will appeal more.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                Can pixel art be HD? Why do we always get either chunky pixel NES style graphics or clipart style graphics? Why can't developers of modern 2D games just get artists to draw graphics like people did in the 80s and 90s -- only in HD? I say this because I don't think 'pixel art' has to equal over the top chunky pixel NES style graphics -- and I hate 'clipart' style graphics.

I'd probably like this new Streets of Rage if it had modern chunky pixel NES style graphics, even if that would annoy me a bit, because I really hate the clipart style the dev has chosen. There's always something flat and uninviting about the clipart style.
                The problem with increasing the detailing becomes apparent when the animations aren't given the same amount of attention.

Comment

Problem with pixel art is that you can get away with less animation when the art is SD resolution. Once (like stated earlier) you hit HD resolutions you better make sure the frames of animation are there.

A great example of this is Metal Slug. It has so many drawn frames it would do great in HD

Comment

I really like the look. It’s nowhere near that lame ‘flash game’ look that is often employed for high resolution 2D games.

Also, I just read this:

The designer plays the old SoR and SoR 4 at the same time using the same controller to compare the timing. Nice
                    Last edited by randombs; 09-10-2018, 13:45.

Comment

Cuphead looks like an old cartoon, but are there any games that really look like they're an anime?

I don't mean cel-shaded or just pictures like an RPG, I mean they look hand-drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Cuphead looks like an old cartoon, but are there any games that really look like they're an anime?

I don't mean cel-shaded or just pictures like an RPG, I mean they look hand-drawn.

FYI, Indivisible is all hand-drawn

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
                          FYI, Indivisible is all hand-drawn
                          Nice! I'd not heard of that. Is it coming to consoles?

Comment

Steam, PS4, Xbox, Switch

This is a good video about it:

Comment

I player the early version of it, was very good even in the early stages, combat reminded me a bit of Valkyrie profile, though as usual with many crowfunding products gone way past its due release date

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
                                https://505games.com/games/indivisible

Steam, PS4, Xbox, Switch

This is a good video about it:

You see, that looks nice and moves nice where as Streets of Rage 4 from what we've seen looks cheap. The resolution isn't the issue, it's the art style. I also wasn't a fan of the music they used in their remake of Wonderboy 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X