No announcement yet.

Playstation Classic announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You lot speak sense. Those of us cussing the game list would be modding our machines anyway and installing all manner of Japanese oddities so it's a moot point.

I think Tomb Raider and Crash would've been good additions.

Toshinden is burned into my memory and I never even owned a PlayStation, so maybe that's why they added it. In fact, just reading that list is chucking images into my brain that I haven't thought about for donkeys. Destruction Derby, for example. I can see the cars crashing into each other right now. In my brain.

Damnit, I'm starting to pine after this and I'm a Saturnboy!

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]: I played some G-Police recently and it plays like ass, these days.
      Last edited by gunrock; 30-10-2018, 07:25.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]: I played some G-Police recently and it plays like a as, these days.
        Yep, but then again, Toshinden...

However I’ve just realised - G-Police was the flagship title for the Analog controller, so they can’t really feature it.

Comment

Maybe they just can't be arsed putting the good stuff on it as they know people will just do it themselves anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
            Maybe they just can't be arsed putting the good stuff on it as they know people will just do it themselves anyway.
            Everybody wins!

Comment

Get IQ highlighted as that is awesome

Comment

The game list is ass, But I'm can't wait to have it and play MGS, GTA in their original glory and then mod the thing lol

Comment

Battle Arena Toshinden
                  Grand Theft Auto
                  Syphon Filter

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
                  I can think of plenty of games that deserve to be on the Classic over these four titles that feel like pointless inclusions. They're the sort of games that only serve to make people feel that PS1 games can be very outdated next to later iterations. So I would have included a selection of games that truly stand the test of time and might actually put a smile of surprise on people's faces.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-10-2018, 15:02.

Comment

No Parappa or Wipeout ? I’ll pass

Comment

I would think that licensing issues have a lot to do with the choice of games. Wipeout's soundtrack for instance. Crash and Spyro would have been nice but have just received remasters on a whole host of platforms. Other than that not a bad lineup for me, bearing in mind the lack of analogue controllers. I think its been highlighted elsewhere but these early 3d titles won't hold up as well as late 2d games, even if the filtering software is the best ever seen. So I don't expect this to sell half as well as the SNES classic. But then what do I know! Sony nostalgia may be just as strong in the younguns, for whom this was their first console.

Comment

If this can be hacked, there is space for my own ISOs and I can use a different controller, Ill get one. In the meantime, Castlevania Requiem will be a decent alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
                          I would think that licensing issues have a lot to do with the choice of games. Wipeout's soundtrack for instance.
                          I'm actually kinda surprised about that. Wipeout (along with some other PS1 classics like Tenchu) were able to have such awesome music because they were licenced by Sony Music, so it was like Sony licencing themselves. I would expect that this element of it would be quite straightforward; and if there is one game which sums up the early life of the Playstation, Wipeout or even 2097 are the game I would choose - though I think that's quite a UK-centric view as I'm not sure if Wipeout is as popular in the rest of the world.
                          Last edited by Asura; 01-11-2018, 07:23.

Comment

it should definitely have had Wipeout 2097, Soul Reaver and GT2. Maybe even a Tony Hawks.

Edit: I hope this thing can be cracked so we can install what we like...
                            Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 01-11-2018, 07:29.

Comment

What about non-musical stuff, like car licenses? Didn't Wipeout and GT have other licensed stuff besides music, like artwork?

Roadside posters, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                What about non-musical stuff, like car licenses? Didn't Wipeout and GT have other licensed stuff besides music, like artwork?

Roadside posters, for example.
                                Yeah, I thought similar things about GT. Again, Sony probably own the music on it but the car licences are a real minefield (though they are actually simpler in 2018 than they were in the 90s, as the manufacturers have become more amenable to having their cars in games as they see it as advertising - a lot of it is the improved visuals making it easier to show their cars in a positive light).

Wipeout's graphic design was all by The Designer's Republic, but they were commissioned, so I think Sony has ownership of the whole thing. Plus the Wipeout games are available on PSN, which means that someone at Sony has performed the due dilligence to work out their terms.

Tony Hawk's is an interesting one. Thing is, you never really know a game's legal issues until you look into them. the THPS series has licenced music, licenced clothing, but also the likenesses of real people, as well as their "special" characters (like Jango Fett was in one of the games). Whether you can overcome those depends very heavily on what the original terms of the licence were (for instance, Ubisoft has the rights in perpetuity to use the prefix "Tom Clancy's..." irrespective of whether Clancy was ever involved in the project; especially now he has passed away). Conversely, Final Fantasy Crisis Core is in limbo because some of the characters used the likenesses of real people which were only licenced for physical release on PSP.

Case in point, THPS's games have been released on various platforms over the years, which suggests they have quite well thought-out legal agreements. The PS1 era is problematic because it was the last era before videogames were considered (in business terms) to have parity, in the media, with movies. By the time we got to the PS2/Xbox/GC era, people were starting to be more cautious about release terms because the arrival of things like Steam caused people with foresight to start padding out their licencing agreements with less restrictive terms (this was actually what caused the big writers' strike in the 2000s).
                                Last edited by Asura; 01-11-2018, 08:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X