Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Unless you really want the mini-shell it sounds like an utter waste of time
    Or the joypads I suppose - they 'might' work on Pi's etc. Although arguably there are better options out there. I've cancelled tho. My enthusiasm has gone for this. If I do suddenly change my mind maybe I'll pick one up down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
      SEGA have whored out the MD for years to **** companies. The SNK unit is utter gash. I've played it.
      That's not an official SEGA product. SO I'll hold judgment on SEGA untill they bring out their classic system next year and like I said SNK effort wasn't terrible and the emu quite spot on

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
        Most PAL Saturn games I tried didn't work well in 60Hz.
        Well, I didn't quite say all Saturn games. Panzer Dragoon II was optimised, and forcing it 60Hz meant you lost the bottom of the screen, including the display of your charge bar.

Let me rephrase then - the Saturn hardware and the games were extremely easy to force into 60Hz, though optimised PAL games would go wonky.

What I'm getting at is that you could theoretically just pop a 60Hz switch on a Saturn Mini, because the original hardware and games could handle. PS1 games, when you look into the modding community, are seriously weird in the way they function.

Same thing again running a RHEA board with SD card on the Saturn, versus a PS-IO board and SD card on the PS1. The RHEA will boot Saturn rips easy as pie. PS-IO, while near flawless in its function, it took several years to reach this stage, and actually ripping games and getting the audio file lists correct is a major ass pain.

Also, while we're chatting, why doesn't everyone just go here and get one of these, instead of faffing about with this stupid mini. It's 100% legal to use.

http://ps-io.com/

Comment

Look who's back to diss the PS Classic!

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
            Look who's back to diss the PS Classic!

http://www.notukresistance.co.uk/201...e-up-revealed/
            Now that’s a blast from the past. Shame UK:R and it’s tribute site aren’t updated regularly anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
              Well, I didn't quite say all Saturn games. Panzer Dragoon II was optimised, and forcing it 60Hz meant you lost the bottom of the screen, including the display of your charge bar.

Let me rephrase then - the Saturn hardware and the games were extremely easy to force into 60Hz, though optimised PAL games would go wonky.

What I'm getting at is that you could theoretically just pop a 60Hz switch on a Saturn Mini, because the original hardware and games could handle. PS1 games, when you look into the modding community, are seriously weird in the way they function.

Same thing again running a RHEA board with SD card on the Saturn, versus a PS-IO board and SD card on the PS1. The RHEA will boot Saturn rips easy as pie. PS-IO, while near flawless in its function, it took several years to reach this stage, and actually ripping games and getting the audio file lists correct is a major ass pain.

Also, while we're chatting, why doesn't everyone just go here and get one of these, instead of faffing about with this stupid mini. It's 100% legal to use.

Why wouldn't you just use the discs that you have to legally own to have digital copies of?

:P

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                Why wouldn't you just use the discs that you have to legally own to have digital copies of?
                :P
                Because my drive is knackered thereby forcing me to put the whole machine upside down - and even then the FMVs skip. Also faster loading times.

Also, it allowed me to rip my legal copy of FF7 and patch it with the new retranslation patch, so the dialogue is actually coherent. Which is another reason I don't like the classic. The original FF7 translation was garbage. An incoherent, poorly flowing, babbling mess, with glaring grammatical errors and inconsistencies. Pure tripe. Why would I want to play the original when I can take my original copy, patch it to be better than it is, and enjoy it that way?

I'm not kidding, the retranslation of FF7 is a thing of beauty, and it's legal. I patched all 3 of my own discs:
                We decided to port the retranslation of the PC version into the PSX. This is where it all began:

Comment

I'm not kidding, the retranslation of FF7 is a thing of beauty, and it's legal.
                  Oh? Is that used on the Steam PC version by any chance? As that might make me consider replaying it.

Comment

That said, I bought one last month and am looking forward to it arriving. Not entirely sure how a pre-order counts as being "In Stock" on their store page but I guess it's better than being on a waiting list. I've grabbed one with future proofing in mind. I have a pretty decent collection of PlayStation stuff at this point, I'm just a little concerned about the health of the lasers in my units. I did recently replace one from a later console using a laser extension cable so I should be good going forward once this device arrives.

Consider that people don't want to own old hardware, don't want to deal with scaling devices and dick about with ISOs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Oh? Is that used on the Steam PC version by any chance? As that might make me consider replaying it.
                      You can apply it, yes. I told you before. It's the only way to play.

I'm glad someone else is playing with it. It practically transforms the game.

Comment

Yes, the FF7 patch for PS1 is modified from the original Steam patch. Retranslations get some (deserved) flak because they sometimes go the route of trying to make a literal translation, which sounds like garbage. The FF7 patch actually reads professionally, and tries to make dialogue sound natural. More importantly, stuff actually makes more sense now.

I think I only enjoyed the game originally because I was a teenager, and the complete nonsensical incomprehensible plot made me think it was grander than it was. Like: "Whoa, this must be fine literature because none of it makes sense!" But no, the original "localisation" really just was pure trash. Stilted. Dialogue boxes attributed to the wrong characters. An absolute trainwreck.

Comment

So the UI front end looks awful, the game selection isn't great, it's going to have PAL ISOs on it and it's using the open source PCSX ReARMed emulator.

It does likely mean that if the storage can be accessed easily enough, adding new ISOs shouldn't be too difficult, but what's the point in buying one of these again?

The only reason I can see is because you want the nice case and I'm not sure that's worth £99, it seems like a pretty poor effort now we know all the details. Going to have a think about whether to cancel the pre-order.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 11-11-2018, 10:14.

Comment

I can only see people not in the know buying this. I’m sure it’ll do plenty well, just not with the core audience you’d expect.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              What's the point in buying one of these again?
                              I would say to hack it but... There are plenty of other better, more versatile ways of playing PS1 games on your modern telly. And with better PS1 pads than the originals. (PS3 with PSN downloads, a modern PC emulating via HDMI, etc...)

The thing with the SNES is that it provided a nostalgic experience which you could not quite match either with emulation or with virtual console downloads on Wii or whatever.

The PS1 classic feels like a half-baked and less effective way of doing something that already has plenty of other better solutions (both legal and illegal). Hardcore PS1 fans probably own a PS3 with most of these games already installed, and the NTSC versions, and with a dual analogue PS3 pad. Plus all the cool games which are not on the Classic.

Between my PS3 and PS-IO on PS1, and my PSP with PS1 games, and my PC hooked up to my HD TV with emulators, and my PS2 with HDD and PS1 game installs, is there a reason for me to Pentagonally dip? Sextupletally dip? Septeminally dip? You know what I mean, whatever the number 8 is in Latin.

I bought the SNES Mini because I'd sold my SNES years ago and emulation has trouble matching the weird 8:7 screen ratio it uses.

Comment

Wait, what? Pal versions on the USA machine? Playing at 50hz? Surely this can't be right? If they are optimised to run full screen/full speed I may be back in.

Comment

Working...
                                X