Playstation Classic announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Has anyone on here hacked one of these yet? And if so is it relatively straight forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      Is that an official price drop or are retailers just matching each other to shift units?

In any case, cutting the price by £30 from the RRP three weeks after launch isn't a positive sign of the system selling well. Perhaps this is a wait and see situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Is that an official price drop or are retailers just matching each other to shift units?

In any case, cutting the price by £30 from the RRP three weeks after launch isn't a positive sign of the system selling well. Perhaps this is a wait and see situation.
        I know GAME have them in-store for £49.99. I've read nothing official but I can't see them going back up in a hurry. Without sounding like pedant of the week I think it's £40 off isn't it? I'm sure original rrp was £89.99.

At the current price I'm half tempted to get one to mod just to play a handful of classics.

Comment

Are the Playstation Classic pads USB? Do they work OK on a PC? 😅

Comment

I believe so Phillai.

If it drops to £20 I'll pick one up just to mess around with. At the very least it should be able to handle the odd game that switches resolutions a lot.

Comment

Saw somebody walking through town clutching one of these earlier on.

I couldn't help but tut loudly and shake my head at the poor sap.

Comment

£85....at cex

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                  £85....at cex
                  "CeX with rip-off pricing? What a surprise!"

....said NOBODY EVER.

Comment

I figured out that if you can use the Playstation Classic controllers for MAME, then it's not too bad as the controllers are surely the same as the original PS1... Saying that though, even at £50 it's still crap value!

Comment

Apparently certain Tesco stores have these reduced to £24.50, I’d probably bite at that price. lol

Comment

At that price despite it's flaws i'd pick one up just to hack & mess with lol

Comment

I'm still quite surprised at just how much this has bombed. I would've thought your average punter wouldn't be aware of emulation or refresh rate issues. I think the game list had its part to play.

Comment

It’s totally the games list that has done the damage.

Comment

It's definitely missing some big UK hits that would have helped sales. I was in Bluewater yesterday and it was £49.99 everywhere (didn't check GAME as they wanted £54.99 for an Xbox One Wireless controller - not sure why I bothered going in but I did).

One thing I hadn't realised but picked up from ETA Prime's recent YouTube video is that this is essentially a weaker Amazon Fire 4K TV stick will downgraded SoC, slower but same GPU. The Amazon Fire 4K TV Stick has a more developed community (so better retroarch support), smaller, Bluetooth and will do loads more media functions. Obviously the PS Classic includes two controllers and a lovely looking case but has no analog sticks.

Of course they are both cheap but it's yet another route if someone wants a cheap emulation system.

Comment

Its a combination of the two IMHO. As I said earlier the retail price value of the real classic games included just about excuses the cost of the thing (typically on eBay used with p&p: MGS, FFVII, Syphon Filter, Abe's Oddysee, Tekken 3, Rayman > £10.00, RE Director's Cut used >£15, Wild Arms >£20).

Most of the remaining games maybe decent enough but many are nowhere on any top 25 list of the best PS games. They're simply not classics. So add those fillers to its the technical limitations and the reason the PS Classic bombing is no mystery.

Comment

Working...
                                X