Playstation Classic announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    But I'm struggling to remember what other games used the sticks.
    I would think most PS1 games released in 1998 and after were DualShock compatible if it made sense to do so. Ape Escape was made to show off the dual sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I would think most PS1 games released in 1998 and after were DualShock compatible if it made sense to do so. Ape Escape was made to show off the dual sticks.
      Not so sure about that. When I think about it, I really struggle to think of games which really used the sticks other than Ape Escape, which everyone remembers as it was designed around the hardware feature. Or G-Police, which came out with support of the pre-shock Analog Pad.

The PS1 had few twin-stick FPS games, for example, and I doubt any that it did have are games which people still really want to play today. Some of the racing games, maybe, but can anyone suggest any others?

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
        On a side note - preorder placed at Amazon.
        £89.99 is a bit steep for my liking. Amazon are acting like that's a special price. I guess Sony's attitude is all about the PS1 being 32-bit, so worth more than a SNES mini console. Which is obviously a bad/stupid attitude, but some people might feel it makes sense.

If it can be hacked, I might wait for it to come down to £69. No way should a mini console cost nearly £100.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2018, 11:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Not so sure about that.
          I said "if it made sense to do so", so many games wouldn't have takne advantage of the analog sticks. Basically, I'm saying if a game could benefit from using an analog stick(s), then developers would have probably been happy to add the feature. Sony would have informed devs quite a while before launch that the DualShock was all about analog control.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I said "if it made sense to do so", so many games wouldn't have takne advantage of the analog sticks. Basically, I'm saying if a game could benefit from using an analog stick(s), then developers would have probably been happy to add the feature. Sony would have informed devs quite a while before launch that the DualShock was all about analog control.
            Ah, sorry. Most PS1 games after the Dual Shock were compatible. I guess the question is how many games are affected by not having it. For instance, I'm pretty sure Street Fighter Alpha 3 supported it, but I don't think many people will miss it.

Comment

Weird to think I played Wipeout on dpad.

Comment

Oh my gosh!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  For instance, I'm pretty sure Street Fighter Alpha 3 supported it, but I don't think many people will miss it.
                  Yeah, that's a case of a game not needing to support it, but Capcom probably worried that Sony and some consumers might moan about the analog sticks not working with the game.

I was just talking about developers who knew about the DualShock and were developing games in '97, might have been making games that could benefit from analog control. So I'd think most racing games developed in 1997 onwards would have taken advantage of the analog sticks. I have no idea what date Sony informed devs about the DualShock and then sent them prototypes. Maybe it was as early as 1996? Who knows???
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2018, 11:36.

Comment

Hoping Sony dont pull a Sega an outsource the emulation to some useless company. Nintendo got it right, Sony will be expected to do the same, will be curious to see what they use to power it seeing as the SNES mini already emulated ps1 extremely well.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      will be curious to see what they use to power it seeing as the SNES mini already emulated ps1 extremely well.
                      It will have to be perfect - or so close that it's not noticeable - emulation. So if the tech in the SNES mini can do it, then Sony are probably using something similar. I don't think we have to worry about it being a Sega and its mini Mega Drive situation.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-09-2018, 11:50.

Comment

In a recent interview, Shawn Layden, in charge of global game development at Sony, revealed that the company has no plans to make backwards compatibility a feature on the PS4. Layden explained that, “When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much.”

The Sony executive also pointed to a recent Gran Turismo event which featured PS1, PS2, pS3 and PS4 games, and said that the PS1 and PS2 games, “looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”
                        One thing I don't get is that Sony justified not having backward compatibility on PS4 because they claimed people weren't interested in playing old Playstation games.

Who do they plan on selling this to then?
                        Last edited by MartyG; 19-09-2018, 12:50.

Comment

Probably saw just how well the Nintendo ones have been selling & want in on that action.

Comment

I`m sick of these piddling cash grab machines. The games on these things are part of gaming history and as such should be shared, cherished and enjoyed. Instead of which they are being fisted for every last penny they can milk out of mugs.
                            Fair enough we have seen some cheap joystick controllers packed with roms, but they were sub £20, that's ok for a novelty toy.
                            This thing is fricking £90! its a ****ing plastic toy with less guts than cheap mobile.

**** this **** ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                              This thing is fricking £90! its a ****ing plastic toy with less guts than cheap mobile.
                              That's £4.50 per game plus the system to play it on and two controllers. No part of this feels like a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                That's £4.50 per game plus the system to play it on and two controllers. No part of this feels like a bad deal.
                                Everyone knows that ROMs are free

Comment

Working...
                                X