Phoenix|Down x1: Pilotwings 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phoenix|Down x1: Pilotwings 4

Here's something to try out for a while, Phoenix|Down is a place where we can turn our scrutiny on new games and their sequels that are on the way towards those that aren't but we wish they were. New threads will be launched on an irregular, occasional basis and n each one we'll take a look at where a dormant franchise left off and try to do what its owners either can't or are unwilling to do, cast a revive potion down on it and attempt to imagine what a workable, successful approach to reviving that series would look like.

There is no end to the list of now dormant series that long since ceased receiving sequels but for the first attempt at conceptualising what might have been we look at one that Nintendo briefly toyed with at the start of the 3DS life but failed to make much effort in doing.

Pilotwings 4

The third entry repurposed content from the Wii rather than build fully on where the N64 entry had left things off. We know Factor 5 has previously attempted to convince Nintendo to allow them to take a crack at the series but this launch day series is largely dead these days with recent home consoles all failing to introduce a new entry.

How would you go about making a successful fourth Pilotwings?
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 06-12-2018, 08:24.

The game would start like in the screenshot above with a plane heading towards an island, then the camera moves to the inside of the plane where we see 50 people ready to jump out and I believe the rest of the game writes itself from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      How would you go about making a successful fourth Pilotwings?
      VR would be the only way forward. You'd have to feel like you were flying again.

I was thinking about Pilotwings the other day when watching one of the boys play Fortnite. A major part of the PW experience is merely a delivery method to where you want to begin your game. It's simply not enough these days. Unless you had that VR headset on, looking out of the plane door at 12000 feet.

Comment

Even then it'd become boring by the third attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
          Even then it'd become boring by the third attempt.
          Maybe if it was straight up flight and nothing else, but PW was always more fun than that. Add a wing suit and a bunch of airborne obstacles to navigate at 100+mph and you might have something fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            A major part of the PW experience is merely a delivery method to where you want to begin your game. It's simply not enough these days.
            Yeah, it's a really good point. The original Pilotwings is about the simple joy of flight, which is great, but today's audience is in no way going to find that sufficiently compelling to fuel an entire AAA release.

I think there are a couple of options for a new Pilotwings game - it could hew closer to something like Wii Sports Resort and include a variety of different extreme sports activities. dataDave posited something similar recently.

It could also be more of a flying-based quest. Instead of flying around an island doing challenges with rings, you're on a grand adventure across mysterious lands and through space to battle an evil force. To be sufficiently seamless this would need to include on-foot elements to link the flying, rocketpacking and so forth.

VR is a nice idea but I just don't see Nintendo releasing VR hardware any time soon so don't really see it as viable. It would be cool though.
            Last edited by wakka; 30-11-2018, 12:28.

Comment

It's not quite as polished as a Nintendo entry would be, but the sensation of flying is incredible.

Comment

That looks like it could be great fun! I had a massive hangover yesterday so my plans to start firewall zero hour last night didn’t materialise. Hang over + PSVR are not a good mix.

Comment

Someone’s on Reddit pointed out that psvr in an earthquake is also bad lol

Comment

I think the only way Pilotwings would work would be to heavily expand the open world aspect and then the range of activities. VR would only bring a perspective element to the game and it's unlikely Nintendo will ever pursue the tech so I'd veer towards trying to make it a fuller experience.

Comment

That Ultrawings game looks really nice. God, I really need a PSVR.

And yes, I agree SF. Something like The Crew 2 but Nintendo styled and with more of a flying emphasis.

Comment

Working...
                      X