X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    Yeah I meant this!
    No you didn’t! You’re always trying to stuff your games stuff in upside down and backwards and all kinds of ways. Admit it!

Comment

Wait so the Switch CAN’T take gameboy carts? Oh, errrrrrrrrrm, be right back.

Comment

Pokemon Switch Lite turned up today , little beauty it is

Comment

This is gonna seem a weird question, but are the JoyCons like the WiiMotes, in that they are very easy to accidentally turn on?

I often go on trips, and when I go, I turn my Switch OFF when I leave, to make sure it has power later. However, frequently later, when I turn it on, one or both of the Joycons have "low power" despite how they were full charged.

I'm thinking this might be my case, i.e. moving the case is causing the Joycons to come on, and as the Switch is off (not "standby"), it runs down the controllers.

I've always had this problem with WiiMotes, which always seem to be out of power if you don't use them for a few months - as I keep our pads in a set of stacking plastic drawers, and just opening/closing the drawers, you can always see the blue lights on them flickering after.

Comment

It seems that SSB Ultimate has been stuck in the card/cartridge slot for a while (because I've been enjoying it quite a bit and even more so since they released Terry Bogard for it). I will switch the game eventually but I'm trying to finish Trails of Cold Steel firstly (I'm on the epilogue now but it just keeps on going. I must be near the end though (hopefully). I bought Fire Emblem: Three Houses so I'm going to start on that proper once I've played something shorter firstly for a contrast to playing something that requires commitment.

Comment

I need to confess something.

I'm finding the Switch to be rather disposable. Even the big, heavy hitters like SSMB, Link's Awakening, Luigi 3, Astral Chain.

As great as they are I 9nly seem to play them for a few hours beofr I get bored.

There's no denying the quality of the titles - I just can't get enthused enough to finish them.

Comment

My most played Switch game is Rocket League, with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and BotW following FAR behind.
                I really like being able to fire it up, play for a few, then take it out of the dock to play a little longer. Rinse and repeat, ect.

Comment

I've enjoyed it for a while consistently but have to admit, if I couldn't use it at work and it was just a home console I'd in all likelihood rarely turn it on. It's value, to this day, still comes from being able to fill up time gaps chipping away at things from other systems I otherwise never got around too. It's nice when a big first party exclusive lands but if I'm being honest... for those exclusives... Switch is still on the weaker side of Nintendo consoles quality wise.

Comment

I rarely post on here, but I have to disagree (obviously personal opinion), but I feel the Switch is my favourite console ever (Sorry Dreamcast!). BotW, SSMB, Luigi 3, Tennis, MK8, Pokemon: Let’s go, Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun! and all the download/stream games have been awesome. Then there is the fact when the wife pops the soaps on I can just pull it out of the dock and not have to watch bloody Emmerdale! Looking at those titles I was thinking - Christ I’m almost 40!

Comment

It may balance out in the next year or two as the system slips into its later life but I don't think I'll ever let myself give the Switch credit for the fact that half its best Nintendo line up games are WiiU games. Hence as yet it still has no Mario Kart, no Zelda, no Metroid etc until further notice so loses out as yet against its predecessors. There's Odyssey though, good game even if it is the second weakest 3D Mario.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        There's Odyssey though, good game even if it is the second weakest 3D Mario.

Odyssey betters 64 and Sunshine comfortably so not quite sure how you come to this conclusion.

Is it as good as the Galaxies? That’s up for debate - at least it doesn’t recycle the exact same content with a thoroughly lazy “Play it all again as Luigi!” copout.

For all of its excellence, 3D World is 2.5D at best so doesn’t count as a proper 3D sandbox Mario title.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 11-11-2019, 12:43.

Comment

Switch has been a really weird one for me. I've failed to get excited about almost anything released on it. I recognise it's an entirely personal thing though. I don't think there's actually anything wrong with what's been coming out from Nintendo on it, but I've just felt enthused about any of them.

Except Mario Odyssey. Which is one of the best games ever made. BOTW was good too but I played that back on WiiU.

Comment

Well I've had my troubles with the Switch (let's not mention the d-word) but they've all been hardware-related. Honestly, some hardware problems can't be waved away and I think the joycon problem with the Switch is huge. In fact, the only hardware problem in my entire gaming history that has soured things more for me was the RRoD.

But accepting that (not discounting it or dismissing it) and looking at the parts that aren't that, I think the Switch is great. Many games I play on it are games many of you have played before but there isn't another system that you could have played them with as much freedom, handheld or docked. That may not have value to some depending on how they play but it's a game-changer for me, who has been more a handheld player for years due to not liking being locked to my TV. In fact, with the Switch, I actually play games on my TV way more now because I know I'm not limited to it.

And software-wise, I honesty can't imagine how there could be complaints at this stage. It has so much variety and a load of great games. While there are maybe 3-4 games I have felt I missed out on not having a PS4 and none by not having an XBox One, the Switch has more games than I could play and I have around 50 now and lots that I'd like to play but just wouldn't have time for. And there is a such a huge mix in that bunch of games. Many are indie treats like Minit, Oxenfree, Thimbleweed Park, Stardew Valley, Observer, Edith Finch, Gone Home, Firewatch and so on. Some higher profile games like Wargroove, Cadence of Hyrule, Sonic Mania and obviously regulars like Minecraft. Plenty of older classics - Street Fighter collection, the Dooms, Turoks, Katamari Damacy, Skyrim, Okami and some smaller classics like Rogue Trooper. And then there are the bigger games like Splatoon 2, the Zeldas, Mario Odyssey and so on - and there certainly aren't all that many of those for me (I'm not into Smash Bros, for example) but there are as many as those heavy hitters that I might feel like I'm missing out on by not having another system right now.

So I guess the Switch for me gives me a far better way to play and scratches about every gaming itch I could have. That's something that maybe no other Nintendo system since the SNES has managed to do. The WiiU certainly didn't do it. The Wii couldn't. And while the GC and N64 had some real classics, there weren't a huge amount of them for me and I would have felt I was missing out on many games at the time if I'd only had those systems. Maybe considering that, my satisfaction with the Switch is also tied into a lack of fear of missing out due to a) getting those indies that I would previously have got on Steam and b) the fact that there aren't all that many console games this gen that I've been drawn to (Spider-Man, The Last Guardian... maybe a couple of others).

Comment

Yeah, I wish the system would click with me. Honestly I think I'm actually a bit bored of Nintendo right now, which is sad!

Comment

With Odyssey it's Sunshine I'd place it comfortably above, that game forever being the 3D Mario weakest link. 64 though, nah. 64 has aged but for its time it absolutely destroys Odyssey. Aged as it is I would be more likely to return to it as well. I did firmly enjoy Odyssey but there's too many off moments in it that get worse the more into the endgame you get which 64 and the Galaxy games don't suffer from. I hope we get another Mario game on the Switch but I feel little thirst for it in Odyssey 2 form.

In some ways it's similar to BOTW in that way, I'm still waiting and hoping for news that BOTW2 is going to pull a Majora and have its own spin. I really don't want more of the same with BOTW given how under developed that game felt to me in many ways, given Nintendo's past on the series though I'm remaining hopeful there'll be something sharply distinct with it.

It's something that comes round and round with Switch. Like DT says, it covers all genres like no Nintendo system has since the SNES. It's just, when I think about other Nintendo systems and what I most recall for them by comparison so far the Switch will mostly be defined for me by how much it's allowed me to keep catching up some of my Steam indies backlog etc. This is keeping in mind that based on historical convention the system has just about passed into the latter half of its lifespan so within 12 months of next years next gen consoles we'll likely be discussing and readying for the systems replacement (hence having little to no faith Metroid Prime 4 will see the light of day on the system).

Comment

Working...
                                X