Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But no one cares/knows about it. The ironic thing is their kickstarter campaign will probably get a bigger marketing push than the original release.

Just quickly port it and put it out for £40. That kickstarter is almost definitely going to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Digital download code in the EU special edition.
      Learn about gaming systems from Nintendo, including Nintendo Switch™. You can also shop for cases, accessories, controllers, and more.

No mention of that for the NA version, and it's out the week before the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Honestly I think it's smart. They get to see whether it's worth doing, financially, before doing it.
        It's dumb.

A Kickstarter for a rehash of a Wii U game on a platform notorious for Wii U rehashes already? With more Wii U rehashes to likely come??

Again, crowdfunding really isn't needed nor should it be. Just quickly churn the damn port out and sell it for a reasonable RRP and have Sony and/or Nintendo handle the publishing for their platforms LIKE THEY SHOULD BE DOING ANYWAY.

Comment

There kickstarting it because it won’t sell, like it didn’t sell the first time. This way some of their porting costs get covered and they can just do a digital version only.

Personally I think kickstarter should be absolutely banned from already existing companies that have released a product in any shape already, whole thing is a joke.

Comment

Exactly. It was the same when Sony wheeled out Yu Suzuki for his Shenmue III kickstarter. It was a bit of a joke/embarrassment. Why didn't they use some of their existing millions (and with this Nintendo's zillions)?

They can afford a niche flop at the expense of having another great game on the Switch, WiiU port or no. The Switch would provide the game a much wider audience which is exactly what it deserves.
            Last edited by dataDave; 02-02-2020, 09:46.

Comment

Wait a minute... PS4 as well? Nintendo backed the development of game and they may even own part (if not all) of the IP. It was originally intended to feature Nintendo characters.

Take all this with a very big pinch of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                Exactly. It was the same when Sony wheeled out Yu Suzuki for his Shenmue III kickstarter. It was a bit of a joke/embarrassment. Why didn't they use some of their existing millions (and with this Nintendo's zillions)?
                I’m not a big fan of Kickstarter being used by large companies but you seem to be missing some very key differences in how this all works and why it serves a niche game in a very different way. The first is gauging solid interest up front - not vague wish list stuff where people don’t follow through with a purchase but a commitment of support. The second, and this is a big one, is that it allows many fans to pay way over and above what would be charged on release. Essentially this allows dedicated fans to subsidise the game for the less dedicated fans in a way that just doesn’t happen otherwise. This is a massive difference - some people will pay hundreds and even thousands for a game that would ordinarily cost €50 or less, which can tip an unviable game into viable. Yes, we get big limited editions that are comparable but they usually have to be at a much more advanced stage (meaning money spent) before they can happen. And the last is cash up front. As anyone who has tried to cash flow any project will know, this is a big factor. Even big companies have to make cash flow work and that’s tricky for long development and uncertain development periods. Again, this can serve to shift a game from being unviable to viable.

Comment

Embarrassing on Platinum part.

Comment

Obviously I get those points but this should be a relatively straight-forward port with the WiiU screen sections reworked. Your post reminds of of the first time I bought Bayonetta (for £2.10). After the 100hr mark I felt like I was absolutely ripping them off, and wanted to send them $100 for pizza money.

I don't just selfishly want the game on my Switch. I want it to receive a wider audience so that we see more games like it. I'd back a marketing campaign for it sooner than I'd back the port.
                    Last edited by dataDave; 02-02-2020, 10:46.

Comment

Anyway, I doubt it's going to be a kickstarter, I reckon it's already good to ship. Hopefully they've added some tutorial/score-attack modes.

Comment

Exactly. It was the same when Sony wheeled out Yu Suzuki for his Shenmue III kickstarter. It was a bit of a joke/embarrassment. Why didn't they use some of their existing millions
                        I think with Shenmue III they looked at the previous entries, realised that SEGA entrusted Suzuki with large budgets that weren't exactly recouped and advised him that they'll help with publishing/distribution but he'll have to find the cash flow for development elsewhere. Its fair enough though tbh as would you willingly give a game creator millions when his last two large-scale projects made a loss?

I enjoyed Shenmue I and II very much upon their original release as there wasn't much like them at all in 99/00. Games have advanced so much in the last 20 years though that I'm not sure I'd feel the same level of immersion and awe with Shenmue III (its great that fans will get to continue/finish the story but I wonder if the gap in time has effected my love and nostalgia for the series somewhat).
                        Last edited by Paddy; 02-02-2020, 11:43.

Comment

Wait a minute... PS4 as well? Nintendo backed the development of game and they may even own part (if not all) of the IP. It was originally intended to feature Nintendo characters.

Take all this with a very big pinch of salt.
                          Most likely platinum bought the ip back. Cant say its really worth anything. As much as the hard core who love the game sing its praises, most the people who bought it didn’t like it when it came out 🤷

Comment

The other way of looking at this Kickstarter thing is that we wouldn’t get a port of a flop like W101 at all if it wasn’t for the ability to use crowdfunding. The game sold bugger all, this is a viable way of rereleasing it.

Comment

I agree with a lot of stuff being said here from all directions. Big publishers pushing back on riskier projects and relying on the public to crowd fund a game (particularly so those willing to pay over the odds) is pretty low, but if there's truly no other option then I'd rather at least have some way to make it happen. Shenmue III was an example that made me particularly angry - the gall of Sony to bring Yu Suzuki on stage at E3 and then run a Kickstarter was a really ugly move.

Comment

No large company like Nintendo Microsoft or Sony should be begging on Kickstarter, but the genie is out of the bottle they have seen that the public are happy to chuck their cash at anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X