X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pokemon Sword/Shield

Comment

I do like the suggestion of fighting the Queen as the “final boss” an amusing idea that I’ve seen floating around social media.

Comment

There's nowhere near enough grey scaling to this new Pokémon, prices for items should increase each time you go into the shops too

Comment

The weather could be permanently muggy.
          Team rocket = Team Brexit

Comment

In other news, and I'm sure I'm late to the party on this, I only just realised that you can actually use the Famicom Switch Online launcher with a European Switch Online sub. I genuinely wasn't aware!

[MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] Were you able to procure the Famicom Switch controllers?

Comment

That was part of my confusion a few pages back!

I knew about being able to use the Famicom launcher with an EU active sub, but still have a lot of questions about even getting the ability to order the controllers, let alone what's permissible as a payment option. I can't say I've done much testing yet (mainly as I don't want to buy a family sub and find it's generally useless), and I will also admit to considering taking the easy (but expensive) option of just paying up to folks trying to cut a profit on them.

Comment

Talking about whether Pokemon should or shouldn't change a bit more over time, saw this diagram today:

The main takeaway from this is that Gen 1 was the biggest seller, with around 45 million units sold, or "just" 30m if you don't count Yellow. Meannwhile Sun and Moon sold 16 million, which is broadly comparable to the success of the rest of the franchise. Even Black & White 2 sold around 8 million units.

I knew Pokemon did well, but I had no idea it was so bankable.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Talking about whether Pokemon should or shouldn't change a bit more over time, saw this diagram today:

The main takeaway from this is that Gen 1 was the biggest seller, with around 45 million units sold, or "just" 30m if you don't count Yellow. Meannwhile Sun and Moon sold 16 million, which is broadly comparable to the success of the rest of the franchise. Even Black & White 2 sold around 8 million units.

I knew Pokemon did well, but I had no idea it was so bankable.

How about most successful IP of all time.

Comment

**** sakes. I never knew it was that big, either. Same goes for Mario.

Nintendo own two of the IPs in that top 10 list (Pokémon and Mario, for a total revenue rack-up of $125 billion), while Disney own most of the others. I don't think Nintendo are going anywhere they don't want to within the next 110 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ranchises#List

How about most successful IP of all time.
                      Yep, funnily enough I saw that a couple of weeks ago, when someone pointed it out over Detective Pikachu (the movie). However, I didn't realise that the games were such a big part of that. I assumed it was because Pokemon has so many different revenue streams and has been constantly around for decades now; I didn't realise the games themselves were such money-spinners.

Comment

Yep, funnily enough I saw that a couple of weeks ago, when someone pointed it out over Detective Pikachu (the movie). However, I didn't realise that the games were such a big part of that. I assumed it was because Pokemon has so many different revenue streams and has been constantly around for decades now; I didn't realise the games themselves were such money-spinners.
                        It’s funny how games are still considered not worthy of main stream news in 99% of cases, unless the news is making something up about gta again, yet the games industry can swallow the film & music industry up and still have change left over.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          It’s funny how games are still considered not worthy of main stream news in 99% of cases,
                          It's funny how media people have always acted like gaming is the niche domain of nerds & geeks, when gaming has always been mainstream. Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Tetris etc... all hugely popular mainstream games 30-40 years ago. But despite the games industry always growing and growing over the past 40+ years, the media still have a stupid small-minded attitude towards something so normal and popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            It's funny how media people have always acted like gaming is the niche domain of nerds & geeks, when gaming has always been mainstream. Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Tetris etc... all hugely popular mainstream games 30-40 years ago. But despite the games industry always growing and growing over the past 40+ years, the media still have a stupid small-minded attitude towards something so normal and popular.
                            To be fair, I think it exploded, contracted, then expanded again.

Back when gaming was new, it was played by everyone. This mainly pre-dates my memory but my dad talks about it sometimes, how people packed around Pong machines in bars etc.

But there was this perception in the mid-80s that much of the initial excitement was over, just like Disco 10 years before and gaming did become a bit more niche.

It only really grew again in the PS1 era, and thereafter.

Comment

It only really grew again in the PS1 era, and thereafter.
                              I clearly remember all sorts of age groups being interested computers and consoles during the 80s and into the early 90s. Computers and consoles always had mainstream appeal -- they weren't just being sold to nerds.

The big problem is the misconception within the media that gaming has always been focused on nerds. That's not true at all. There was and always will be a 'nerd' element to gaming, but overall gaming has always had broad appeal. That appeal has grown and grown to the point where the industry is very much focused on mainstream gamers. The nerds get far less attention these days, to the point where you could say there's little regard for that section of gamers.

I would agree that the PS1 era really cemented mainstream gaming as the dominant market. It was at that point where games publishers moved away from worrying about the 'nerds & enthusiasts' and set their focus firmly on making gaming very much a mainstream interest.

So I would say gaming was always mainstream to a large degree, but nerdy people had a lot of influence within the biz and among gamers, so there was a strong nerd element. When the gaming biz started attracting more and more suits, it decided to focus on making the industry totally mainstream. The corporate approach to gaming has done wonders for the industry financially.

The way the media has always gone on about "gaming nerds" has been annoying. It's especially stupid these days to have that sort of attitude, because the "nerds" are now an irrelevance. It's crazy that the media can still brand gamers "nerds" when the industry is more mainstream than ever, to the point where I'd say playing games is exactly the same as listening to music or watching a film. But because some idiots in the media will always go on about "nerds, nerds, nerds" some people will be fooled into thinking that attitude is justified.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-03-2019, 00:31.

Comment

Reckon you're good at Tetris 99?

Nintendo are running an online Grand Prix tournament for it this weekend, where 999 or more match winners could win 999 MyNintendo gold coins (£10.00).

How to enter? Play Tetris 99 anytime between 1pm on Friday 8th March and 7am on Monday 11th March and try to place first. Winners picked at random or designated if less than 999 players record wins.

Official stuff from Nintendo UK: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nin...#Online_Events

Comment

Working...
                                X