Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're not keeping random battles in because it's easier, or it's too hard to remove them. They've made the creative decision to keep them in.

Honestly, I think it's kind of a shame, but they're obviously terrified of messing up such a golden goose. In the Let's Go subseries they're freer to try things out.

It would be nice if they got the confidence to take some of the things they test and that work in that franchise and move them into the mainline games though.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      They're not keeping random battles in because it's easier, or it's too hard to remove them. They've made the creative decision to keep them in.

Honestly, I think it's kind of a shame, but they're obviously terrified of messing up such a golden goose. In the Let's Go subseries they're freer to try things out.

It would be nice if they got the confidence to take some of the things they test and that work in that franchise and move them into the mainline games though.
      There’s literally a whole Pokemon game on the switch with Pokemon running around in the wild. So it’s clearly not that hard to do.

Comment

Yeah, exactly. They’re not not doing it because it’s hard. They’re not sat in Kyoto going man, wouldn’t it be ****ing great if we could actually see the Pokemon run about but, no, we can’t, because it’s reallt difficult and we have no idea how to pull that off.

Theyve just decided fhey they don’t want to do it for reasons other than the inherently difficulty of doing it, which, I imagine, although I am not a games designer, is probably relatively insignificant.

Comment

For the first 3D Pokemon it surely looks similar to the 2D games or Let's Go. I was imagining a Zelda style Pokemon game, but I imagine that will never happen.

Comment

Zelda style as in looks (which I guess is a whole lot of different styles) or as in how it plays? I couldn’t imagine there was much temptation to completely change how it plays.

Comment

I think he meant BOTW style.

Which would be cool, but I don’t think it will ever happen.

It’s not the first 3D Pokemon though, that was X and Y. We’ve had a few since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Zelda style as in looks (which I guess is a whole lot of different styles) or as in how it plays? I couldn’t imagine there was much temptation to completely change how it plays.
                People disappointed with how it's another incremental move should check out the trailers for the next Yokai Watch. I've never been a fan of the series before but I'm still gonna check it out, judging by the recent trailers.

I'll be getting Pokemon Sword too. I had a great time with Y.

Comment

Not been in to pokemon for long time and this looks no different the last 3DS title, just more of the same, help towns from bad guys, fight gym leader, go to the league, with a slightly better paint job.

I know it's unrealistic but i would have loved for them to have moved away from the turn based battles and into a active system that looks like Pokken, put pokemon move on their own, you can shout out orders to close in, run away, play defensive, etc etc and have the attack/specials on cooldown to be shouted out by the trainer, the A.I. for each pokemon learns to defend/dodge attacks, go for weakness on battle experience, learning from fights and how the trainer acts, alot like Dragon Dogma's pawn system.

Comment

Looking forward to more Brit'e'mon memes, just something about the second joke that gets a giggle out of me everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      I think he meant BOTW style.

Which would be cool, but I don’t think it will ever happen.

It’s not the first 3D Pokemon though, that was X and Y. We’ve had a few since then.
                      Yes, like BOTW. I guess Monster Hunter too haha. I doubt Game Freak are quite as talented as the teams who made those, though. The clever bit behind Pokemon is the mathematics of the battle system, not the game structure.

Comment

That’s a bit harsh. The enjoyment derived from Pokemon is a testament to the talent of the teams. This isn’t about talent, this is about choice and what works for the game. Pokemon is not BOTW and it’s hardly because the team just wouldn’t know how to do it.

Comment

Zelda was *cough*worse*cough* for being BOTW style so I don't mind Pokémon not diving in fully on that approach

Comment

Worse than which other Zelda though? There are always holes for people to pick in every Zelda game. That's the price the devs pay for trying to do something slightly different each time.

The next big Zelda will likely get shunned because it's a departure from the BotW formula.

Comment

It's an awkward one because those who love BOTW really love it. For me though... at least half the series is more enjoyable to play and revisit. There's a lot I like about BOTW but it feels like a prototype to an eventual entry that will realise what they're trying to do. It felt like the game received praise for attempting something much more so than delivering on it. For me, it has the most ambition since OoT and plays well in addition to all the little touches it contains but on the flip side the open world isn't that good, it has the series weakest dungeons and bosses also. Of all the 3D Zelda's it's the one I'd be least inclined to replay.

Comment

Well I loved BOTW but that hardly seems all that relevant given that Pokemon isn’t that. I love a good burger too but I won’t expect Pokemon to deliver on that front either. Pokemon is Pokemon.

Comment

Working...
                                X