No announcement yet.

Let's Get Physical (Physical)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MyNintendoStore taking pre-order registration in the UK for the Deluxe Edition of the upcoming Nintendo World Championship: NES Edition, which looks like it will be the only way to obtain a physical version of the game.

US customers can already pre-order the Deluxe Edition for $60.

UK Store pre-order registration: https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en/nint...ps-nes-edition

US Store live pre-order:
    ​​​​​​https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/pr...xe-set-121051/
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 08-05-2024, 17:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      MyNintendoStore taking pre-order registration in the UK for the Deluxe Edition of the upcoming Nintendo World Championship: NES Edition, which looks like it will be the only way to obtain a physical version of the game.

US customers can already pre-order the Deluxe Edition for $60.

UK Store pre-order registration: https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en/nint...ps-nes-edition

US Store live pre-order:
      ​​​​​​https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/pr...xe-set-121051/
      Pre-orders now open on MyNintendoStore UK. £50 RRP.

(Be warned: 2FA and online queuing to get into website if you're using the notification link email).
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 13-05-2024, 12:58.

Comment

The Nintendo World Championship: NES Edition Deluxe Set is now available for general pre-order (open to all) from MNS UK.

Also, Play-Asia are taking pre-orders for the standard (non-Deluxe Set) physical version of the Japanese version, so maybe a standard physical version will appear in the West eventually.

Nintendo World Championships: Famicom (Multi-Language) for Nintendo SwitchSelect a challenge - Relive memorable moments with challenges across 13 classic NES games*. Start small by seeing how quickly you can blaze through the first level of the Super Mario Bros.™ game or how fast you can gobble up an enemy in the KirbyÀs Adventure™ gameSee how itâ€s done - Before you get started, you can watch a video clip showing how to complete the challenge. Use this info as a guide for your own runSpeedrun like the wind - Complete challenges to earn a letter ranking. If you play a challenge ...

Comment

Nintendo are really trying it on with this one!

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            Nintendo are really trying it on with this one!
            Meh. I think they've done worse, tbh. Leaving Super Mario Galaxy 2 out of SM3DAS still annoys me.

I think that the RRP for that Nintendo World Championships Deluxe Set is *borderline* acceptable for what is essentially another variation of NES Remix (filler for the schedule between now and the reveal of the Switch successor hardware). Also, keep in mind that the JPN Deluxe Set comes with two NSO Famicom Controllers (why aren't Nintendo replicating this in the West??) so that's arguably even better value, as evidenced by the fact that pre-orders for it went pretty quickly on Play-Asia and Amazon JPN.

Like I said above, I assume that we'll see a much cheaper standalone physical version in the West like Japan...though with Nintendo being Nintendo, don't hold me to that!
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-05-2024, 08:39.

Comment

This exists in such a weird spot. It's so incredibly niche, even as a quick filler title considering the range of other options... but then it also feels like it's not a suprising choice at all either.

Comment

Nu-Eclipse is it a functioning NES cart, do you know, or just a paper weight?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  This exists in such a weird spot. It's so incredibly niche, even as a quick filler title considering the range of other options... but then it also feels like it's not a suprising choice at all either.
                  Niche is right.

​​​​​​If I'm giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, this year is the 34th Anniversary of the first ever Nintendo World Championships (which they've played on seeing as the advert features Jeff Hansen and all of the other champions). On the flip side, Nintendo haven't cared about their own World Championships since 2017 when they last held them!

It's almost like they could've just repackaged this as NES/Famicom Remix 3 and it wouldn't have made any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post
                    Nu-Eclipse is it a functioning NES cart, do you know, or just a paper weight?
                    Replica. Paper weight. Tat.

Not great but I do think it would be a lot worse if it was more than £49.99.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post

Replica. Paper weight. Tat.

Not great but I do think it would be a lot worse if it was more than £49.99.
                      Ah, shame. I might have been interested if it actually ran a game on a NES!

Comment

Ah, shame. I might have been interested if it actually ran a game on a NES!
                        You might be the only person on the planet who was still expecting Nintendo to make fully functioning first-party software for hardware that they discontinued nearly three decades ago!

But yeah, I guess a repro cart would've been cool when you consider that the OG 1990 NWC cart goes for stupid money nowadays. It would likely have increased the RRP of this though.
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-05-2024, 11:17.

Comment

Not really expecting it, per se, but if it’s not functional you’d think they’d make that super clear on the product page.

Comment

Yeah that would have been a really cool inclusion. It definitely would have at least doubled the price of the package though.

Comment

Not really expecting it, per se, but if it’s not functional you’d think they’d make that super clear on the product page.
                              I mean... it's literally there on the product page ("Product Overview" section) if you care to look. Plenty of news sources elsewhere have reported that the cartridge is a replica. It literally would've been major news if the cart was an actual repro and the product would've almost certainly been an instant sell-out.

Also, it's not like Nintendo have ever done that before, so why would they do it now?? They've not actually run the World Championships IRL since 2017 so it isn't like they actually care enough.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 17-05-2024, 17:33.

Comment

Oh, it is there is it? I couldn’t see it when I looked.

I have no idea what Nintendo does. I don’t really pay any attention outside of retro games.

Comment

Working...
                                X