Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen protectors turned up today they thankfully are the safe cling type good job they were 6 in the pack as i wrecked 3 getting one on perfect it was harder than i imagined as just when you line it up with one edge and put on it somehow annoyingly ended up crooked so a bit of screen was unprotected or a random tiny fibre got under due to the static of pulling it off the backing. They don't seem to affect the clarity of the screen that i can spot so they are recommended to put on as it does take the stress out of carefully handling it even moreso if putting in your pocket to take out.

Only if you look suuuuper close would you even know there's a protector installed

Comment

Got my screen protectors. Now all I need is a Playdate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Got my screen protectors. Now all I need is a Playdate.
        I can make Adventure Land softplay on Saturday or the zoo on Sunday.

Comment

Mine has shipped! Wooooo! But I'll be away for a couple of weeks when it is due to arrive. Booooo.

Comment

Mine too!

Due to be delivered between September 9th and 13th. Looking forward to it

Comment

Yay, will be fun to find out what you both make of it. Been playing mine on & off as the new games drop but my switch has been hijacking 99% of my gaming time.

Comment

Mine arrived! Just setting it up and installing updates today. I love how tiny it is. And the box is cool.
                [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] there's a deal on Itch.io for the next couple of days if you haven't seen, a bundle of Playdate games for 50% off:

Really cool how many intriguing little games have been made by third parties for this now.

Comment

Whitewater Wipeout is so much fun and is destroying my productivity today. It's a simple affair, where you keep a surfer balanced on a wave using the crank. Don't let the edge of the wave catch up to you, don't hit the bottom, don't land funny and wipeout - keep your balance, build speed, and catch big air off the top of the wave to earn points. The more flawless spinning jumps off the top of the wave you manage, the bigger your combo builds.

How it starts....

How it inevitably ends up going....

I had read some bad things about this game but that was completely wrong as it's actually ridiculously addictive fun!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    Mine arrived! Just setting it up and installing updates today. I love how tiny it is. And the box is cool.
                    [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] there's a deal on Itch.io for the next couple of days if you haven't seen, a bundle of Playdate games for 50% off:

Really cool how many intriguing little games have been made by third parties for this now.
                    Saw that there’s a huge bundle. Holding off till all the season 1 has dropped yesterday was that 360° asteroids game I have forgotten the name of and questy chess. Not tried those yet. Switch is stealing all my playtime at moment.

Comment

Yeah, I've decided to hold off the bundle as well. I'm more than happy to support Playdate creators but there's a few in there that aren't really grabbing me to be honest, I think I'd rather be a bit more selective.

I did download a couple of free/pay what you want microgames from Itch though. This one is a laugh:

Basically you turn the crank to shred documents, while listening to your boss and an auditor having a conversation in the room outside the door. Shred 'em as fast as you can to build score, but then once the auditor enters the room, you better make sure you've slotted the crank away so he doesn't catch you.

It's a great little bit of WarioWare style fun.

Comment

Good shout on the bundle, and that shredding game looks just the right kind of daft

If you've not already given it a listen, I really like the official Playdate podcast too. They're fairly short (20-40 mins) and each one tends to focus on one game and the developers' story of how they came to work on the Playdate. I listened to the one about Whitewater Wipeout and it's made me very keen to play it!

Comment

No, I haven't listened to that - will do so!

Honestly this surfing game is pure crack.

Comment

Finally home and got to have a go of my Playdate today. It’s adorable! But I have no idea how that whitewater game works. And I don’t know how the seasons work. Do you just get two games at a time?

I got the little case too and the colours are lovely together.

Comment

You get two games at a time. Two to start with, then two every Monday (doesn't matter when you switched your Playdate on for the first time, it's always Monday). The games download automatically to the system without you doing anything.

I absolutely love Whitewater Wipeout. I have four games now and have barely touched the others, apart from Crankin's Time Travel Adventure (which is also fun). WW is just so, so, so addictive. Can't resist picking the Playdate up and having a go several times a day.

It's a little tricky to understand how it works at first - there are few guides out there but this video might help:

I've been steadily growing my high score. My best is ~591,000 now

Comment

Ah! Thank you for that guide. That really helps. And thanks for the game info too.

Comment

Working...
                                X