Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Games surfing is top tier fun.

Comment

I got that paper shredding game and it’s now my favourite game on the system, although I still have to wait until Monday to unlock more official games.

Overall I adore the system already but the lack of a backlight is a real hindrance for me. Even in that shredding game, the combo of tiny screen, my old eyes and a lack of a light means I have trouble reading the text in many situations.

Still, the system is adorable and I can’t wait to see what games unlock.

Comment

Just had another sesh on Whitewater Wipeout. Having trouble improving my score, I need some way to better optimise the way I'm playing. I feel like I'm missing something versus the people who are cracking a million plus points.

Really fun but it does absolutely knacker my arm!

Comment

I can't find all the birds in Casual Birder. I have really got to like the game though. It's lovely little adventure.

Comment

And I found the last birds and completed it. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to whatever I get tomorrow.

Comment

So I got two new games today and I have no idea how to play them. These could do with instructions.

Comment

That is a common complaint about the Playdate games. Maybe I'm just a Playdate simp but I kind of like trying to figure them out on my own!

Of the week two games, I was not that interested in Boogie Loops as I'm not a very musical person and sitting and creating tunes is not something that can engage me very long. I had the same problem with software like Electroplankton all those years ago.

However, Crankin's Time Travel Adventure I really enjoy. So the way that this game works is that on each level or 'date', you need to make it to the end goal on the far right of the screen, dodging animals that come at you (birds flying through the air, pigs running along the ground etc).

The only control mechanism is the crank. You crank to move him forward and you can control his speed. As he moves forwards he will undertake various automatic actions as he reaches various points. If there is a flower, he will bend over to smell it. So if you are trying to avoid a bird flying at your head, slowly smell the flower, pausing to let the bird fly overhead as he bends to smell it, then continue on.

It's not always obvious how to use these 'automatic actions' in a level (smelling a flower, stopping to drink a cup of tea, etc) to avoid the animals that come at you, so part of the intended challenge is to figure out how best to do it.

It's pretty fun when you get into it!

Speaking for myself I still have barely played Casual Birder, it's the more action packed stuff I can play for a few minutes at a time that's really grabbed me

Comment

Group 3 comrades, emails have gone out today looking to confirm shipping addresses!

Comment

Well I am quite a few weeks in now and, aside from Casual Birder, I’m struggling to really get into any of the games. There are still many more yo comes so hopefully some will click for me.

Comment

I've completely flaked off mine for the past few weeks, not been gaming at all for various reasons. Turned it on yesterday to about six new games and dived into the most intriguing looking one. Really enjoyed it, actually. An interesting game where you navigate a ball through a maze.

I've been following the Playdate subreddit though (no time to game but plenty of time to doomscroll Reddit - yeah, go figure), and there are quite a few cool looking games either coming to or that have come to Itch. Worth checking out:

This looks fun:

And this is coming out tomorrow and looks intriguing:

EDIT:

Also I should add, I turned it on yesterday, scanned the new games, gave one a quick go, then went back to Whitewater Wipeout I love that game.

Comment

I'm still not even halfway through the first season, and while I've not sat down for too many lengthy sessions on the thing, it has absolutely met my expectations of a great little device to have sat around which magically gains new games each week. Some things I thought I'd get sucked right into have been fun but not quite as compelling as I'd expected, whereas some things I had no expectations for (Omaze, Flipper Lifter) have been excellent, charming little things to kill a few minutes with here and there.

Has anyone tried using Pulp? Part of me thinks it'd be really fun to try and make something, but I'm also aware that I'm kidding myself if I think I'd be able to find the time to make anything I'd consider ever showing anyone else.
                        Last edited by fuse; 19-11-2022, 19:28.

Comment

It's an independent thing, but at the same time Panic seem close enough to it that I wonder if they're going to have some news to share. Definitely planning to watch this.

Comment

I haven’t even loaded up the last 6 or 8 games I unlocked on this. I must admit I’m struggling a bit with it. Partly it’s Steam Deck competition but mostly it’s the lack of a back light.

Comment

So that awards show ended up running for a longer time than I expected, and at the point when it ran into the Game Awards, I... I... I switched over to Geoff Keighley. I'm so sorry, Playdate. The whole thing is available here if you've two hours to kill:

There were a lot of awards given out which is pointing me towards some of the more interesting-sounding games to sideload (Bloom, A Balanced Brew), but there were also some neat announcements too. Panic didn't reveal any plans for the dock, but did suggest they were wanting to get the product into general availability and that the next big feature is Catalog; an on-device store for getting more games that will have some "special shopping music".

Some exciting trailers / nonsense:

Comment

Heads-up that SF Bags are doing a case for this. As usual they're not cheap, but they are nice if you're into some fine leather goods.

Shop the best handheld Playdate case. Compact, lightweight, and portable with a simple plug-and-play design for gamers. Made in San Francisco, USA.

Missed a trick not having a yellow one though, I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                                X