Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Playdate) Bizarre new console launches soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They'll be selling worm lights for that authentic retro feel.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
      With people err i mean youtubers already having them in their posession there's now reviews going out and it seems mostly positive although some tubers are adding drama to try to appear that they aren't been bought out with false praise by bitching over the tiniest things.
      Ha, the first YouTube thing I saw of this was Metal Jesus Rocks with a thumbnail of "just why would they do this?" or something. Then the actual review was the usual bland fence sitting before a brief bit of mild grumbling about the non-backlit screen before summing it up as good or alright or maybe you will like it or maybe not. Regular as clockwork!

Bet he's already pencilled in "Playdate Hidden Gems" for 6 months later.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        Broken record here but no backlight is a bit benders for the money, hard pass.
        Yeah, this was what killed my interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          Ha, the first YouTube thing I saw of this was Metal Jesus Rocks with a thumbnail of "just why would they do this?" or something. Then the actual review was the usual bland fence sitting before a brief bit of mild grumbling about the non-backlit screen before summing it up as good or alright or maybe you will like it or maybe not. Regular as clockwork!

Bet he's already pencilled in "Playdate Hidden Gems" for 6 months later.
          I saw that to and instantly unsubscribed. He never has a clue what he's on about except for PC stuff.

Comment

The algorithm gives that guy obscene love. He is constantly in my sidebar being recommended.

Comment

Hey guys Metal Jesus Rocks here and today we're going to be doing a HIDDEN GEMS video with somebody who owns a game shop or a collector or somebody else with a vested interest in game values probably. Basically we will list games and they will speak about one and I'll go "huh, interesting" sometimes but generally come across like I don't really care that much and just want the video to end. Then the price of some rare but fairly mediocre RPG will triple overnight.

Comment

Been watching a few of the review videos on this and I am still beyond excited to get this thing in my hands ASAP. The lack of backlight does seem like a bit of a bummer but it's not a dealbreaker for me by any means.

One thing I think I realised in particular is that this is delivering on is the whole end-to-end product - and by that I mean on top of a polished physical thing, it has curated software, a proper set of tools for developers, and albeit vague, an actual plan for future support. Most reassuringly, this sits with one company who genuinely seems to care about this as a platform. In particular contrast it's made me think of another thing I thought had promise - Pico8 - and how I was hoping the Pocket Chip would be a good conduit for that. It's similar in that it attracted some inventive developers and had some smart ideas thrown at it, but I felt like the device fell pretty short of being a mass-market product and in turn failed to showcase that platform. While I wasn't that bothered and kinda knew what I was getting myself in for, I feel like Playdate is more the complete package that I was wanting that to be all along. A dinky little device with a steady stream of neat, curated game ideas. I'm excited!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                  Hey guys Metal Jesus Rocks here and today we're going to be doing a HIDDEN GEMS video with somebody who owns a game shop or a collector or somebody else with a vested interest in game values probably. Basically we will list games and they will speak about one and I'll go "huh, interesting" sometimes but generally come across like I don't really care that much and just want the video to end. Then the price of some rare but fairly mediocre RPG will triple overnight.
                  Lol, god damn.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    Been watching a few of the review videos on this and I am still beyond excited to get this thing in my hands ASAP. The lack of backlight does seem like a bit of a bummer but it's not a dealbreaker for me by any means.

One thing I think I realised in particular is that this is delivering on is the whole end-to-end product - and by that I mean on top of a polished physical thing, it has curated software, a proper set of tools for developers, and albeit vague, an actual plan for future support. Most reassuringly, this sits with one company who genuinely seems to care about this as a platform. In particular contrast it's made me think of another thing I thought had promise - Pico8 - and how I was hoping the Pocket Chip would be a good conduit for that. It's similar in that it attracted some inventive developers and had some smart ideas thrown at it, but I felt like the device fell pretty short of being a mass-market product and in turn failed to showcase that platform. While I wasn't that bothered and kinda knew what I was getting myself in for, I feel like Playdate is more the complete package that I was wanting that to be all along. A dinky little device with a steady stream of neat, curated game ideas. I'm excited!
                    Also - and the importance of this can't be understated - it's yellow. Bright, sunshine yellow. Adorable.

Comment

Hope y'all get them soon! It's very appealing looking. REALLY appealing. I maintain this product has buyer's remorese written all over it though.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post

yup the support is there right from the ground up i love how they have tailored the creation to skill levels so everyone can try. If you can't program then you can use pulp and make simple games but they also provide the full sdk for people who know how to properly code. They are pretty generous with the sdk rules too, no locked down crap or restrictions the rules are pretty simple

(taken from their site)
                        This SDK is ours
                        Any tools in the SDK are also ours
                        Any programs you develop with the SDK are yours
                        You can distribute your programs any way you’d like
                        You can’t distribute our SDK
                        Please don't write viruses (though that would be extremely weird)
                        And don't use the name "Playdate" in the name of your thing

Seems pretty reasonable, saw that they plan on having a catalogue app to try and curate some of the things people make so there's a way to easily find and buy any you like but also they said people can sell them however they like if they don't want to go that way. I can't ever see it been super mainstream this thing is niche as hell but from the buzz so far it seem that the interest is there from both side with panic fully dedicated in supporting it and programmers itching to make stuff for it.

Also with the screen mirroring app they made you can play it on your tv if you like using the playdate as a controller or even using another controller instead. Yet more options in how to play.
                        Last edited by importaku; 20-04-2022, 16:52.

Comment

Can I have mine now?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Can I have mine now?
                            only if you start making pixel art games otherwise no i'll hold onto yours

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                              only if you start making pixel art games otherwise no i'll hold onto yours
                              I’ll do it! I’ll do it!

Comment

looks like group 2 is getting close to shipping out just got email this evening to confirm my shipping address with june 8th been deadline so i think they are heading out soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X