No announcement yet.

Xbox Game Pass (Xbox / PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it obviously works now, or companies wouldn't jump on it. I just wonder what happens in 5/10 year. MS want as many people on game pass as they can, but that will lower the amount of people buying games outright.
    The revenue will increase with more people on GP, but with more and more titles every year, the slice of cake has to thin. You either pay a company forever for a game, or they have to accept that after 5 years the game brings in zero cash so that MS can give money elsewhere.
    Netflix can and do drop titles, but so far MS have only been adding. And we know how upset gamers get if games disappear from a store, just look at the ps3 store being closed.

Comment

I feel there's no risk of Sony headed down the Game Pass just as there isn't from Nintendo either. Sony's silence likely comes from indifference. Game Pass has only worked for Microsoft because it brought an increase of revenue from a heavily losing position, even with its surge in profits MS are in no risk currently of challenging Sony or Nintendo's position . In the long term the company acquisitions will likely make a bigger difference in MS's ability to compete. Presumably PSNow makes too little to be a focus for Sony but too much to take the hit on merging it with PS+ when most already pick up the subscription regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        I believe that MLB are publishing it on Xbox, not Sony. One of the terms of Sony renegotiating the license was that the game go multi-platform.

They'll have been compensated financially so it's win-win.
        Yep. It was go multiplat with the game or loose the license. Big title in the USA so financially beneficial to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          I feel there's no risk of Sony headed down the Game Pass just as there isn't from Nintendo either. Sony's silence likely comes from indifference. Game Pass has only worked for Microsoft because it brought an increase of revenue from a heavily losing position, even with its surge in profits MS are in no risk currently of challenging Sony or Nintendo's position . In the long term the company acquisitions will likely make a bigger difference in MS's ability to compete. Presumably PSNow makes too little to be a focus for Sony but too much to take the hit on merging it with PS+ when most already pick up the subscription regardless.
          You've got to wonder why Sony and Nintendo haven't done a game pass. I know Nintendo are just selling the games back to us again, but they have the wealth of games to warrant one. It's got to be financial.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I hope Sony don’t go down the gamepass route. I like the different approaches. MS have gone all in on a brilliant service. But I still want that drip-feed of AAA goodness from PlayStation. Both platforms can do well without doing the same thing.
            Sony wouldn’t be able to, given the amount of money MS sink into it to keep it going.

Comment

Yep, it'd be a huge loss maker for both companies. Let alone the costs of setting it up both companies are in much stronger software positions. Game Pass is great value but it also is heavily comprised of games with no remaining sales revenue otherwise. MS moneyhats bigger titles and puts its first parties on there which is a double boost as let's be honest, games like Sea of Thieves would be dead if retail only dependent.

Nintendo can slap 3 roms on a cartridge and shift millions of units, whilst most of their output remains vaulted it's largely more valuable to them that way.

Likewise if Game Pass and Xbox ever become market leading, the pricing and first party launches on it will end.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                Which make no sense.
                TLOU2 sold 2.8million in the first month. 2.8million X £40 is £1.1 billion.
                I doubt MS are giving that amount for exclusive games to game pass. So MS games will surely be made on a smaller budget to make up a good profit margin. Not to mention, as a developer, you'll look over the garden fence and see the vast profits being made on the rival machine.
                It’s £112 million actually

TLOU2 will have cost £100million to make.

So you can see that the risks are super huge for these big AAA games, it’s good that Sony are going to make these types of
                Games for a bit longer, because increasingly it’s just not valid for anybody else.
                People Cheer when a game sells 1mil without any awareness that it’s a fairy paltry figure.

But coming back to MLB
                There will have been an agreement over units sold or revenue that goes back to MLB- Sony won’t have been hitting this. MLB sold 1mil in 2019 (vs FIFAs 25million for reference) , Sony released it to PC and they still didn’t meet the requirements of the agreement , so it has now gone to Xbox also to aid with this.
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 04-04-2021, 19:30.

Comment

You might think Sony have to come up with something akin to Gamepass in order to keep up with MS but the sales figures tell us that in fact MS have to come up with something to compete with Sony. I think buying up loads of studios is the best thing they've done to this end, not GamePass.

Comment

It’ll all change the second they get to release something in China. That’s more likely to be Sony I suspect given their ties with Tencent now

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      It’s £112 million actually

TLOU2 will have cost £100million to make.

So you can see that the risks are super huge for these big AAA games, it’s good that Sony are going to make these types of
                      Games for a bit longer, because increasingly it’s just not valid for anybody else.
                      People Cheer when a game sells 1mil without any awareness that it’s a fairy paltry figure.

But coming back to MLB
                      There will have been an agreement over units sold or revenue that goes back to MLB- Sony won’t have been hitting this. MLB sold 1mil in 2019 (vs FIFAs 25million for reference) , Sony released it to PC and they still didn’t meet the requirements of the agreement , so it has now gone to Xbox also to aid with this.
                      God damn it. I've done that before with decimal points.

Comment

Just because something’s on game pass doesn’t mean people won’t buy it, I know some people who treat it as a glorified demo service for some games.

A series X patch was announced for Descenders which is on game pass and the retail version shot back up on the Amazon retail charts,
                        Currently Outriders is the no.5 top paid game on Xbox live, Rainbow Six Seige is No.3 both of which are on game pass but clearly still being bought digitally.

All MS really need to supplement game pass is the 30% taken from all third party transactions, every fortnite vbuck, every GTAV shark card, every ultimate team pack, every CoD gun tracer pack etc those are enough to make publishers rich Sony/MS take those cuts and that money goes to services, first party games, marketing deals etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                          Just because something’s on game pass doesn’t mean people won’t buy it, I know some people who treat it as a glorified demo service for some games.

A series X patch was announced for Descenders which is on game pass and the retail version shot back up on the Amazon retail charts,
                          Currently Outriders is the no.5 top paid game on Xbox live, Rainbow Six Seige is No.3 both of which are on game pass but clearly still being bought digitally.

All MS really need to supplement game pass is the 30% taken from all third party transactions, every fortnite vbuck, every GTAV shark card, every ultimate team pack, every CoD gun tracer pack etc those are enough to make publishers rich Sony/MS take those cuts and that money goes to services, first party games, marketing deals etc.
                          I would love to know what being on game pass does to the purchasing of additional content for games like R6 Siege. I forget which version you get through game pass as I bought it long before it came to the service but obviously it's been popular for 5-6 years now and to get all the operators you need to grind or stump up some funds.

I'm sure a lot of people will have tried it for the first time on game pass and then gone and paid real world cash either for the full game or to catch up on content.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                            It’ll all change the second they get to release something in China. That’s more likely to be Sony I suspect given their ties with Tencent now
                            Yes, the story in the past couple of days regarding TiMi’s revenue of 10 billion, purely from COD Mobile and Honour of Kings is eye watering. 2 billion more than the entirety of Activision Blizzard. And that’s one Tencent developer - not Tencent as a whole. Startling numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              Yes, the story in the past couple of days regarding TiMi’s revenue of 10 billion, purely from COD Mobile and Honour of Kings is eye watering. 2 billion more than the entirety of Activision Blizzard. And that’s one Tencent developer - not Tencent as a whole. Startling numbers.
                              Makes me want to vomit the fact that mobile garbage can rake this sort of dough in. Im in the wrong game.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                                Just because something’s on game pass doesn’t mean people won’t buy it, I know some people who treat it as a glorified demo service for some games
                                yeah, people like me. I bought Code Vien and Pray on disc, brand new from amazon because I played them on game Pass.
                                If I own something I will appreciate it more than some throw away experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X