No announcement yet.

Overwatch 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we actually know what the selling point of the sequel is yet? It's going to be tough if they don't do something radically different, given if I wanted new Overwatch, there's still about 5 new characters and goodness knows what else that's been added to the original game since I last played.

But yeah, current context around Blizzard doesn't exactly inspire me to care either.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      Do we actually know what the selling point of the sequel is yet? It's going to be tough if they don't do something radically different, given if I wanted new Overwatch, there's still about 5 new characters and goodness knows what else that's been added to the original game since I last played.

But yeah, current context around Blizzard doesn't exactly inspire me to care either.
      Not much. Hints of a campaign (Omnics, Blackwatch, and all that), and a strange kind of global online meta-mode where you can dip into skirmishes in different parts of the world and where the maps will have different weather and day/night conditions depending on when you join (this is meant to affect gameplay - "Ooh, sandstorm, I can't see to shoot!"). Only one new character announced (Sojourn), who doesn't look that fascinating (damage/assault character with a railgun so a bit sniper-y too).

My lad plays Overwatch a lot right now and I have to say it's still a brilliantly well-balanced and inventive game, from the unique character potentials and synergies, the map tricks and secrets. I still dip in occasionally and I always have a great time and find out new things, no matter which character I play. I think it's the best shooter in recent memory, along with Titanfall 2 and Doom Eternal, so it'd be a shame to see it fall by the wayside. The community is also nowhere near as toxic as it is reputed to be. I've never seen/heard any grief.

Comment

They've added 120 mode now which is nice and smooth

Comment

Overwatch 2 closed beta begins 26th April • Eurogamer.net

Comment

New character revealed:

Comment

I have a horrible feeling about this.

Everyone bought the first one because it was exciting, new, different. If it's going to be the same game but with a couple of new characters and maps, who's going to buy the second one?? Idiots like me, but that's going to be a few hundred at best.

It should be ALL new characters and ALL new maps, otherwise where's the incentive for old hands to spend any time on it. A few gameplay tweaks if they want like the ping system, but keep the core idea in place.

Comment

It does feel like they threw the original away for nothing. I've not really seen anything to suggest why the new stuff isn't just DLC for the old game rather than throw the userbase out

Comment

Interesting take on techradar from an experienced player: https://www.techradar.com/uk/opinion...atch-fun-again

Changes to the team and shieldplay may make the game quite different, more frantic and possible for individuals to carry a poor team. Teams are now 5v5. Less reliance on ultimate stacking too (a team taking a point by using two ults in quick succession, which can be overwhelming).

Comment

Free To Play.

Suits me, as long as it's not pay for characters....
                    Since it's really Overwatch 1.5, I guess they realised they couldn't charge people

Comment

Overwatch 2 is a free-to-play shooter featuring 30+ epic heroes, each with game-changing abilities. Choose your hero, group up with your friends and bat...

Looks like new heroes will at the least be paygated for an initial period behind Battle Passes

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/pro...watch?p=789844
                        Looks like new heroes will at the least be paygated for an initial period behind Battle Passes
                        I'm not seeing that from that link. All I can see is references to premium skins, cosmetics and currencies, not actual heroes being paywalled? I may be wrong... (need more coffee...).

Comment

Yeah I agree with Golgo

Comment

That's what I get for linking on my phone

It comes from this with the battle pass being detailed as providing access. There's chatter about heroes going F2P some time down the line after a period of being accessible through the pass but I don't know how much that will impact teams balance.

Weirdly hard to source a more mainstream link but I nabbed all this from Era where frustration is currently being vented

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              That's what I get for linking on my phone

It comes from this with the battle pass being detailed as providing access. There's chatter about heroes going F2P some time down the line after a period of being accessible through the pass but I don't know how much that will impact teams balance.

Weirdly hard to source a more mainstream link but I nabbed all this from Era where frustration is currently being vented
                              Yeah, that does seem a bit suspish, actually. I had a sniff around, and it seems the heroes are not paywalled 'per se', but part of an unlock tier, i.e.: paying for premium gives earlier access while if you don't you'll need to grind, grind, grind. A terrible decision, completely contrary to the base game where you had access to all heroes. Cosmetic unlocks I could tolerate. Apparently there's a big backlash online but this is Activision, so... £$£$£$£$

Comment

Blizzard vice president Jon Spector has shed more light on the upcoming release of Overwatch 2 and its Battle Pass hero…

Confirmed, new heroes will be free to all... At some point later on

Comment

Working...
                                X