No announcement yet.

Next Gen Advent Calendar II: Playstation 5 Release Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I think any 3D audio from headphones is already impressive so the new tech in the PS5 should be fantastic regardless of what headset you're listening through...

Comment

I'm really mixed from reading around as to whether the 3D Pulse headset actually does anything compared to using normal ones and letting Tempest do its thing?

Old games wise:
      I have stuff like FOTNS and some of the Yakuza games to work through, most likely going to replay God of War also

Comment

I wish these new consoles were able to compress time and I could play as many games in my backlog as Neon Ignition plays in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          I'm really mixed from reading around as to whether the 3D Pulse headset actually does anything compared to using normal ones and letting Tempest do its thing?
          Tbf there is a lot of confusion around the PS5 (and the Series X|S) on how audio will work. Good thread on 'era going on currently about 3D/Tempest audio:https://www.resetera.com/threads/exp...launch.301181/

The original PS Blog link: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10...tation.Blog%29

From the sounds of it the PS5 will do all the processing and it simply outputs a stereo signal either through USB or the Dual Sense controller (3.5mm jack). However there are still questions around if you want to use a (unlicensed) USB AMP/DAC, or games that don't support 3D audio; i.e. can you extract a 5.1 signal from the consoles, as you can with the PS4 (over optical or supported headsets).

Probably won't become 100% clear until units are in the hands of most media or after launch.

The Pulse headset looks like it uses the same earcups as the Gold to me (might be wrong), which in turn as very similar to the Platinums. I found the Platinums to be the most god awful uncomfortable earcups I've ever owned and had to mod them (as mentioned on here) but obviously that is highly subjective.

Also the Sony headsets used an App on PS4 which I assume won't be required, so it may be the Pulse have less unique features albeit they will be a good, budget, wireless option for PS5 users.

Comment

I'm going to get a USB amp/dac if one works. At least just to push the voltage up. The sound is a little flat coming from the ps4 controller because it can't push the drivers quite enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              I'm going to get a USB amp/dac if one works. At least just to push the voltage up. The sound is a little flat coming from the ps4 controller because it can't push the drivers quite enough.
              I'm still using my Sound Blaster X7 with PC/XBO/PS4 which I adore. You need an amp from headphones like the AKG 712 Pro or Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. Hopefully it will become clearer after launch what works and what doesn't.

I suspect a reason for things not being crystal clear is that they (both) have licensing deals in place. Hence the wording:

enjoy the PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech through your compatible headphones in many PS5 games

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Which current gen games will you be revisiting and which have you held off playing till the new hardware is in hand?
                The announcement of new Trophies for Ghost of Tsushima and the multi-player stuff means that will defo be getting a NG+ playthrough. I'll probably go through TLOU2 again as well.

Doom Eternal will be getting bought once it drops to £20 from somewhere as Bethesda have said it's getting a PS5 upgrade.

There isn't much else really. I've been pretty good this year and have finished what I've bought.

Comment

Week 04
                  Thanks mostly due to a level of transparency that neither platform holder has revelled in themselves, Codemasters has found themselves the unlikely poster child for next-gen launch titles with their current gen racer coming out around launch time. The latest Dirt game has leveraged the power of the new systems to add in some ray tracing and a dash of 120fps gameplay, riding the new console hype to also promote itself as a worthwhile option for gamers to pick up alongside their new unit.

Dirt 5

Has Dirt convinced you to pick it up alongside launch?

Comment

Dirt 5 looks great and, being by some of the crew who did Driveclub and OnRush, it should be good fun.

However, and I never thought I'd say this, the thought of Nolan North and Troy Baker providing VO really puts me off.

Comment

Like every Codies racer I'm sure I'll play it at some point but it's not something I'm in a rush to. The Dirt series hasn't been majorly noteworthy for a long while and whilst DriveClub etc were decent they weren't what I'd consider to be top tier racers so Dirt 5 to me feels a little like the series being passed over to their B-team and nothing about it looks different than before. Literally, without the new system launches I don't feel this would be getting hardly any attention at all.

Comment

I have to say I like codemasters as a company. They just seem to quietly put out games.
                        I don't think I'll get this though because I know in a years time it's going to one of those launch games that hasn't aged well I I'd regret buying.
                        To counter that though, I am hungry for a racer...

Comment

I have to say I like codemasters as a company. They just seem to quietly put out games.
                          Maybe their games would sell better if they made more noise about them?

Comment

Anyone else starving themselves of games until next gen lands on your doorstep?

Comment

Anyone else starving themselves of games until next gen lands on your doorstep?
                              Absolutely although not technically starving, just holding back on playing key titles until the new console is here.

Right now I've got Doom Eternal, Control, AC Valhalla and NFS Hot Pursuit remastered pre ordered and in some cases preloaded.

Also have Cyberpunk queued up for a week after launch. That'll be a bumper quota to try out on the new machines (getting Series S and X).

Outside of that I'm playing a load of indie titles while I wait... Little Nightmares, The Touryst etc...

Comment

Week 03
                                More than any other launch before, the new systems are leaning on past efforts in an effort to bolster their own line ups that would otherwise find themselves dragged over the coals for showing an embarrassing lack of preparedness. Backwards compatibility will sit alongside current gen games that are releasing in the same window and receiving minor patches to tighten up the next-gen performance via increased resolution, increased framerates and sometimes some additional minimal ray-tracing. This week in the countdown we look at the rest of the field:

Third Party Current Gen Titles

Will you be holding on for any of the third party games getting a quick and easy next-gen release such as Assassin's Creed: Valhalls, Watch Dogs 3: Legion or Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War?

Comment

Working...
                                X