This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    I'm more excited about the wave of disappointment from those thinking that it'llbe something more than a simple refresh with minor QoL updates than the announcement.
    You'd think Nintendo fanboys would have a clue by now. Same situation as every Nintendo console since the GBA. Same console with a few changes. None of which make it in to a powerhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      You'd think Nintendo fanboys would have a clue by now. Same situation as every Nintendo console since the GBA. Same console with a few changes. None of which make it in to a powerhouse.
      Yeah, I think so too, in that the GBASP didn't change the core hardware capabilities of the GBA.

But I'd argue that the SP was an enormous step forward for both the GBA and handheld gaming, as was the DS Lite over the DS.

Both of them were paradigm shifts in screen technology, to the point where I just can't go back to earlier screen tech ever since getting a DS Lite. So the core hardware didn't change, but I think the experience of those machines was enormously boosted by the upgrade.

But you're right, in that in the pantheon of Nintendo upgrades, I think this is going to be a DSLite -> DSi situation more than a GBA>SP one.

Comment

Yep, given it's supposedly the same dimensions with the same joycons it's not even going to have the extent of QOL improvements most Nintendo handhelds see in their second iterations.

Comment

It's hard to see the Switch needing those though. The first iteration of each of those systems came with some fairly obvious places to improve. With the Switch, I feel like the obvious improvements are all structural and won't actually affect the core experience except to avoid problems - fix the damn Joycon drift, build it so the casing doesn't crack and so on. Yes, the screen on the system itself would benefit from using that bezel space for screen but that's not in the same league as some of the GBA/DS improvements.

Comment

The small bezels are going to end with lots of crying kids at New Years when it takes its first tumble. A few placeholders seem to have started Era speculating about a £399 price tag. I'm running out of head shaking gifs - there's no market for a premium Switch, hell, the market for the Lite is a lot smaller than I'd have thought it'd be, this will be a replacement and a £120 price hike is not going to happen.

Comment

A £399 price would be demented.

I think Nintendo do have form for increasing the price with a bump though. IIRC the DSi was more expensive than the Lite, by about £50.

Comment

But it would seem to imply some sort of significant bump in something to justify the cost though, right?

Comment

Finally released

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like CraigHutchings.

Comment

NGL thought that was going to be a picture of the new Switch.

@Dogg Thang To be honest I think anything more than £280 for the Switch, even a moderately revised model, is a little rich. But they're flying off the shelves, so maybe they feel they can get away with it.

I don't personally think there will be any kind of really significant bump with the new model, it'll just bit better and a bit nicer all round. Apart from the dodgy JoyCons, obviously.
                    Last edited by wakka; 02-06-2021, 11:57.

Comment

Thing is, regardless of what this turns out to be, those of us who might be tempted into a double dip will find ourselves up against their terrible primary/secondary system nonsense. Owning more than one Switch is actually more difficult than it should be.

Comment

It's probably a case of famous last words when it comes to price. For sure, if they go north of £300 with it I'll see as a massive red flag that Nintendo is back in arrogant full circle in the same way that cost them the market post-SNES and post-Wii.

Comment

I’m not that fussed about an upgrade to be honest , I play switch more than anything and perfectly happy with its performance really . If anything cosmetically it would be nice to have a more premium feeling unit especially if it’s gonna be more expensive . General consensus seems to be all the upgrades under the bonnet so to speak

Comment

15th June (Tuesday after next).

9AM PST / 12NOON EST / 5PM UK BST / 6PM CET

Comment

Perfectly sets up 13 days of growing insane hype to be followed by twenty minutes being spent on a Pokemon remake, 10 on a new Smash DLC fighter, 5 on a new Fire Emblem and another 5 on some Indies.

Comment

Is it bad that I'm okay with no games coming out while I catch up? I.e. until the next generation of Nintendo console?

Comment

Working...
                                X