Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From that article: "Nintendo faces stiff competition for gamers’ attention this fall as the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X are set to arrive in time for the shopping season."

They're arriving with very few games, though. I'd say the two new consoles have a lot more work to do in that regard. There will likely be 20x more Switch games sold at Christmas compared to the PS5 and XSX combined.

Comment

Sure, but when that feature has been the primary initial selling point of a system, that seems pretty unique to Nintendo. I mean, it's in the very name of the system. A Switch that can't switch is like a 3DS that, well, is a 2DS.

Comment

Given that PS5 is going to be bottlenecked by launch numbers, Series X will be capped by... well everything we've discussed. I'm not seeing any need at all for Nintendo to worry about either system denting Switch sales this year or next. The whole thing seems incredibly premature and it they'd get their software output sorted again they'd be set to ride the current models easily till 2022 at least.

Comment

I too think a $500 4K Switch2 for 2021 would be a terrible mistake.

Comment

I feel there would be more value in a redesign no greater than when the original 3DS got an upgrade to the XL, which mostly seemed about improving form and build quality more than anything else. Fix the joycons, strengthen the build quality of the main system case and add a stripe of colour somewhere to make it feel like a new model. You know there's people who will buy a new Switch on that alone and the marketing of the new model could prompt new buyers to take the plunge.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Removing features from revisions of consoles is a time honoured cost cutting procedure to be fair. Nintendo are hardly alone in it.
              Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
              The ability to seamlessy change between portable and docked mode is the Switch's main feature, and that hasn't been removed from the standard SKU. The Switch Lite is hardly an upgrade, but rather a different version for those that will use it only on the go.
              I understand the cost-cutting element, but when you're making the 3DS 2D and stopping the Switch from switching, that's more than cost cutting, that's taking away the original USP.

I'll accept that the Lite isn't an upgrade, but I think the name "Switch" is a now a misnomer as they've stripped away the ability to switch between tabletop mode, the docked mode and the removable joypads allowing 2 players on one console.

Comment

I don't think Nintendo give two poops about preserving the USPs when in the crucial 'selling' stakes of that acronym they're raking it in from the cut-price/feature-stripped alternatives. Besides, the full-fat version is still readily available in the case of the Switch, and 3DS also remained in production right up until the whole range was discontinued this year, so the availability of cheaper alternatives that are missing some features is a bit of a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

I'll accept that the Lite isn't an upgrade, but I think the name "Switch" is a now a misnomer as they've stripped away the ability to switch between tabletop mode, the docked mode and the removable joypads allowing 2 players on one console.
                  Next you'll be complaining that the GameCube should actually have been called the GameCuboid!

No, I do see where you're coming from. But the fact is, Nintendo make what they think will sell. I think hardware gimmicks like 3D and the 'switching' aspect of the Switch are perceived as important by management in generating initial buzz and sales, but offer diminishing financial returns as a platform matures - and simpler, cheaper versions which drop these features can help to drive sales to more price-sensitive groups like parents and grandparents, while keeping margins fat.

Comment

Looking forward to all the full price 4k re-releases of the Switch games.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                      Looking forward to all the full price 4k re-releases of the Switch games.
                      WiiU games, you mean!

Comment

Year sorry, typo.

Comment

I think the 2DS was a great idea. They didn’t need to explain what it was because the clue was in the name. It removed a feature which at worst caused headaches, and at best wasn’t even necessary to enjoy the console. Plus, making it flat meant it would withstand the abuse kids would give it(kids for whom the 3D feature wasn’t really recommended anyway).

3D was the gimmick, but the console was a continuation of the DS in all other respects.

I suppose the Switch Lite has no right to bear the name when you consider what Switch means, but Nintendo offered a cheaper version of their console without splitting the user base into the haves(Xbox 360 Premium) and have nots(Xbox 360 Core). And they did it by removing the console’s key feature. Maybe they could’ve called it the Nintendo Hitch because it’s meant for taking out with you

Comment

We're forgetting an upgrade that comes before the 'New' models, the...

Nintendo Switch XL

Comment

Imagine they make a Switch you can’t take outside. That would be all the bases covered

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                Imagine they make a Switch you can’t take outside. That would be all the bases covered
                                Thats the holy trifecta right there.

Switch.
                                Hitch.
                                Ditch.

Comment

Working...
                                X