Call of Duty: Warzone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call of Duty: Warzone

Long rumoured but now pretty much official thanks to media leaks that have emerged on reddit, the next Call of Duty release will be Warzone which is the Battle Royale title. Rather than add the mode to the successful Modern Warfare reboot they will this time be releasing it as a stand alone title which is Free to Play.

Map contains Terminal, Scrapyard, Overgrown, Broadcast and others and supports a starting player count of 150 which may be increased later. It won't support Cross Play and will feature five vehicle types to traverse over 18 map locations. Once you receive enough damage you are downed, at this point another hit or two will kill you but players can get more points for capturing you instead. At this point a cinematic plays and you are sent to the Gulag as a prisoner where you fight for survival in 1v1 battles.

The microtransactions are strong in this one.

Comment

I totally agree for the micro-transactions, very fascinating

Comment

Looks cool. Especially the map being made-up of classic maps and modern map. Yeah, the microtransactions will be there, no doubt. Cosmetic though, which is cool. IW have been making some lovely looking content to be fair. I bought something once because it has Japanese writing and a manga keyring for the gun. The BattlePass will be there, as it already is for the core game.

I'm looking forward to this. 2019 MW, has been my GOTY so far and I only like the original before this as I didn't get on with what came after. I think they hit a real sweet spot with CoD:MW last year.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
          Cosmetic though, which is cool.
          PSA on this, because I think that's an incorrect definition even if used by the publisher/developer. Unless Acti are dumping battle passes?

2019's Modern Warfare seems to have the been the first COD in a while which didn't sell a combination of loot boxes, weapons or DLC. However it does employ a battle pass model which can 'encourage' players to spend levelling up their seasonal rewards (i.e FOMO). So this isn't strictly a consumer friendly; 'buy or earn any cosmetic item you want from the in-game store' but rather items can be time or pay-gated.

MW isn't doing anything that different from Destiny 2, Fortnite et all, but certainly not consumer friendly business models even if they might be preferable to what came before (for some). Although obviously as a f2p game I think many will find this an acceptable compromise or price to pay.
          Last edited by Digfox; 09-03-2020, 22:41.

Comment

This looks cool, but it’s sad it won’t support crossplay. That kinda kills it for me as all my friends are on PS4 and I use Bone.

Comment

I'm completely happy with Battle Pass structure. You can participate in Battle Pass for free too as there are free rewards. I really think the amount content in this year's cod is amazing. Fair play to them.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                This looks cool, but it’s sad it won’t support crossplay. That kinda kills it for me as all my friends are on PS4 and I use Bone.
                I thought cross-play was supported. The core game is.

Comment

Maybe it is, I was just going by NI’s post above. Yes, cross play is a fantastic feature of the main game.

Comment

I'm completely happy with Battle Pass structure. You can participate in Battle Pass for free too as there are free rewards. I really think the amount content in this year's cod is amazing. Fair play to them.
                    Fair enough.

Battle Passes are probably less egregious than what Activision have done before. Although as someone that plays a few different games I think they suck (particularly when everyone does them). But then I remember spending 57 hrs in Destiny 2 Shadowkeep and only being lvl 23 to which they wanted £65 to 'buy' the remainder.

This has the hallmarks of being content originally planned for a COD release or DLC that's been cut from the game to maximise profits (companies prefer new releases to DLC).

Comment

Maybe it does, but have you played Modern Warfare Digfox? I think the quantity of content in that game for £50 is totally fair to be honest.

Comment

I thought cross-play was supported. The core game is.

Reddit poster who has played it (think they are a well known 'leaker') has confirm Cross-Play but with no option to opt-out. Not sure if that mirrors the main game.

Q. Is there a way to disable crossplay for these modes?

A. Nope. That would royally cock up the matchmaking system and split it up in a bunch of different player pools. IW wanted fast match start times with good connections and disabling crossplay would screw up both of those.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          Maybe it does, but have you played Modern Warfare Digfox? I think the quantity of content in that game for £50 is totally fair to be honest.
                          Sorry, I'm not meaning to c**p on COD or MW but it's more the conversation on 'cosmetic MTX only' that lead me to post.

I think the reality is that games and development do change immensely over time and sometimes for genuine reasons. Although in relation to the question asked I personally suspect you saw more actual content for your money when £40 season packs were a thing, but that isn't an observation that is unique to this game series.

Splitting the content probably makes financial sense. It might be an 'Apex Legends' for them. Equally it might go the way of BFV BR and tank. But it's completely understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                            https://www.reddit.com/r/CODWarzone/...y_ask/fk16pj3/

Reddit poster who has played it (think they are a well known 'leaker') has confirm Cross-Play but with no option to opt-out. Not sure if that mirrors the main game.
                            Pc mixed in with consoles?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              Pc mixed in with consoles?
                              Yes. Although maybe more details being reported which do contradict the reddit poster (in terms of opt-out not being made available).

Comment

Working...
                              X