Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not played much this week, but had a top night out with some mates on Saturday at the Custard Factory in Brum.

Started the night at Matrix VR, where the space is split into 4 sections so you've got your own space to move about in.
    Running off 4 massive glowing PC rigs, the headsets are cabled to the ceiling so you never feel contained.
    We played the horde mode of Arizona Sunshine, which was a lot of fun and pretty terror-inducing when the Zekes all start piling in. Second game we were more conservative with the ammo, rather than crotch-shotting each other.
    Then we played Elven Assassin, which is like a tower defence game, but you are the towers, shooting endless arrows at waves of orcs, trolls and dragons. I've played a bit too much Skyrim VR because I had double the score of my mate in second place!

Next we went to NQ64 for some arcades and one mate did really well on Guitar Hero: Arcade playing "Cherub Rock", whilst I played Tekken 2 and then Double Dragon. I tested out the elbow move and it really is brilliantly overpowered! We also played Crazy Taxi next and Batman pinball.

Then on to Chance & Counters boardgame café. Sadly the menu was reduced after a powercut, but had some filthy fries.
    Played a few games including Telestrations, Cards Against Humanity and Bang: The Card Game. Crying at CAH because it can be so funny sometimes...

Finally onto the Mockingbird Cinema for their late-night Secret Horror Film Club where you see a horror film (for free), but you don't know what the film will be. It was "SAW", which I've not seen since the cinema. It was interesting to see how much you can achieve with a low budget and to think about how far James Wan and Leigh Whannel have gone since!

So not all videogames, but felt daft splitting into multiple threads.
    Seriously, the Custard Factory is such a good night out! Going to get to the newly refurbed Golf Fang (formerly Ghetto Golf) as that was a lot of fun.

Comment

The Custard Factory sounds like a bloody night out

Comment

Yeah, you've got to try pretty hard to have a bad night there!

Comment

I have been really getting into Mad Max. It's a simple enough game, possibly risks getting repetitive but so far I'm really enjoying it. It nails the locations and vibes from the series, although not quite in its actions. Building the bases instantly takes away from Max being a lone road warrior and I don't find the road combat to be anywhere near as intense as it could have been. But all of that is me bringing my expectations from the movies. On its own merits, it's great at what it does.

Comment

Just finished Horizon FW. It got pretty good shortly after I cussed it bad in this thread.

Unfortunately, one of the supposedly cooler aspects of this game - riding the velociraptor-like Clawstriders - would require me to visit to a cauldron(dungeon) which sounds like it’ll be yet another bore-fest.

Should I risk it or just give up and go back to Halo Infinite? If my wife already did that cauldron, I could just fire up one of her old save games and mess about…

Comment

I decided to just get back to Halo Infinite. Hilariously, I’d got up to the final mission without realising so I finished the game this evening. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although the storylines have got more convoluted and less interesting with each new game.

Comment

I just finished Yakuza Zero. 102 hours well spent. A brilliant entry. I've always said Yakuza 2 is my favourite but this might just pip it - it's definitely up there as one of the very best entries in the series, and I can absolutely see why this was so effective in revitalising the franchise's fortunes in the West.

I love spending time in Kamurocho. Such a comfy world. A special shout out to the surprisingly substantial cabaret club management - I would gladly have played more of that were more levels to beat provided, it was so much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  I just finished Yakuza Zero. 102 hours well spent. A brilliant entry.
                  I just bought this in a sale. I have never played a Yakuza game. Not sure it's the best place to start but I have heard good things about it.

Comment

It's a good place to start. It's a really great game. Enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      I just bought this in a sale. I have never played a Yakuza game. Not sure it's the best place to start but I have heard good things about it.
                      It was the first one I played. Absolutely loved it. The only reason it could be viewed as a bad place to start is it's considered by many to be the best in the series, so could spoil you with it's supreme qualities. For me I know I won't ever play them all, so I'm happy to cherry pick.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        I just finished Yakuza Zero. 102 hours well spent. A brilliant entry. I've always said Yakuza 2 is my favourite but this might just pip it - it's definitely up there as one of the very best entries in the series, and I can absolutely see why this was so effective in revitalising the franchise's fortunes in the West.

I love spending time in Kamurocho. Such a comfy world. A special shout out to the surprisingly substantial cabaret club management - I would gladly have played more of that were more levels to beat provided, it was so much fun.
                        Good stuff. And yes, the club management was brilliant. So addictive.

Comment

I'd say it probably is but they've all got something to recommend them (at least the ones I have played - 1 through 5, then 0, so far).

I would def say to anyone new to the series to start with either Kiwami (remake of 1) or 0, though.

And yeah if you're just catching up with the series now you're probably better off cherry picking like you suggest Atticus, as there is a hell of a lot of Yakuza now.

Looking forward to playing 6 next, sometime next year I reckon.

Comment

Too many things on the go at the moment leading to slow progress:

-Yakuza Zero
                            -Grand Theft Auto V
                            -Halo Infinite
                            -Nickelodeon Kart Racer 2
                            -Paw Patrol Grand Prix
                            -Mario Kart Tour

Comment

Teardown - Saw it being played on Game grumps and gave it a punt. Quite satisfying game to play just to wind down by destroying things then when I feel like it, actually use my brain to complete the tasks.

Trombone Champ - I have not liked and laughed hard playing a game as much in its first hour since Untitled Goose game. Its so stupid and ridiculous and fun I keep going back at it. I cant get my badly played trombone versions of certain tunes out of my head.

Comment

A break from Demons Souls and back into Yakuza 2: Kiwami. Just discovered the photo shoots lol

Comment

Working...
                                X