X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't get me wrong, nearly everyone had a gun or were

crazed Spaniard cannibals

, but at some point you'd think he'd realise he's like disaster zone.

Comment

Hahaha yes the kill count by supposed all-around good guy Nathan Drake is the source of much controversy and debate. So much so that the more reflective fourth game deals with it head on (which I thought was a really cool idea).

It's a long time since I've played Uncharted 1 and while it's a good game, the second one is one of those sequels where it's a really terrific improvement across the board. Deffo play that one at some point. The third the quality takes a dip and then personally I love the fourth one.

I've been playing a few different things recently. They're all retro but I'm going to put them in this thread rather than the retro-specific one, as I think this one gets more traffic.

Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire

Back on my bull**** with this gem of a game. Played it on the GBA. Played it on the WiiU. Now playing it on the Analogue Pocket, from the start all over again and this time I will, I WILL get the Pokédex completed (which I have not done before).

Dipping in and out and it's such a fun little game to play. I'm skipping the bonus rounds this time though. No interest in high scores. Racking up 'mons only.

Donkey Kong (Gameboy)

I was listening to Retronauts the other day and they were talking about how this is one of the best Gameboy games. I had always just thought it was a Donkey Kong port, but no, it's not at all. Actually it's a full scale puzzle platformer, and the progenitor of the Mario & Donkey Kong series.

What's really intriguing about this one is some of Mario's advanced moves, like the backflip, which appears here exactly as it would in Mario 64 two years later.

A fascinating slice of Mario history and great fun to play.

Playing this one on the Pocket too, using the Super Gameboy core, cos when played on the Super Gameboy the game is partially in colour, which is cool!

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Been meaning to get around to this since forever. My partner was out all last night so I finally got into it and put about three hours in.

Wow - such a cool game, right from the off. I'm drawn in by the story and I love the immediacy of the battle system, which is a really unique blend of shooter and turn-based ATB style system.

Excited to play more tonight. I'm playing it on OG hardware hooked up to an OSSC, using a custom wireless pad made by Mmmonkey on here, which makes me feel like a boss 😎
      Last edited by wakka; 07-02-2024, 15:32.

Comment

QualityChimp & wakka The term you're looking for is "ludonarrative dissonance".

Comment

That’s the one!

Comment

Currently paying Like A Dragon Infinity or 8 as it seems to be called in some cases.
            Really liking the story so far. I do wish the battles were realtime rather than the RPG style they've gone for.
            I'm saying on Series X and it seems to be a solid 60fps so far which is great to see. If it is dropping frames I've not noticed since the TV has VRR.

Comment

Yeah he does shoot a few peeps over the course of the games They're baddies so they don't count, right?

Number 2 is heaps better than 1 QC, I thought 3 dropped off a wee bit (as 2 was so high) but 4 was also great.

Comment

Ha ha just saw your post wakka

​As I have no idea how to insert a gif here pls imagine Dillon (RIP Buddy) and Dutch handshake

Comment

I can't figure out gif inserts either ... the 'They were all bad' True Lies one applies to Nathan Drake's kill count

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                    QualityChimp & wakka The term you're looking for is "ludonarrative dissonance".
                    I'm feeling this with Hogwarts. All these posh, polite kids throwing torture and killing curses around. And last night I solved a side mission that involved tracking down a burglar, when my sexy little witch has robbed practically every room in Hogwarts castle and every home in Hogsmeade and surrounding villages - often while the inhabitants sat and watched me do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post

I'm feeling this with Hogwarts. All these posh, polite kids throwing torture and killing curses around. And last night I solved a side mission that involved tracking down a burglar, when my sexy little witch has robbed practically every room in Hogwarts castle and every home in Hogsmeade and surrounding villages - often while the inhabitants sat and watched me do it.
                      Like in Skyrim:
                      "Thank you for saving our entire village from being enlaved, then fed to dragons. How can we ever repay you? Our village is forever indebted to our hero!"
                      YOU HAVE STOLEN AN APPLE AND ARE FOREVER WANTED DEAD HERE.

I've said before about when I was playing GTA San Andreas and there's the whole mechanism about how you protect your turf.
                      Got a call to go protect a 'hood and there was this full-scale gang war going on with dozens of G-units blasting at each other.
                      The game had happened to spawn a cop and he was nonchalantly strolling by as the bullets were whizzing past, until I fired ONE shot! Then intsa 4-stars!

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                        Ha ha just saw your post wakka

​As I have no idea how to insert a gif here pls imagine Dillon (RIP Buddy) and Dutch handshake
                        Haha yeah our posts pretty much expressed the same thing!

In all fairness to Uncharted, it first came out in 2007. We were barely out of the PS2 era so no one was really thinking about ludonarrative dissonance and stuff like that at the time. It only started to become apparent that it was a bit odd how this bloke considered murdering thousands of people at a time a completely normal day at the office as the series moved forward.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Like in Skyrim:
                          "Thank you for saving our entire village from being enlaved, then fed to dragons. How can we ever repay you? Our village is forever indebted to our hero!"
                          YOU HAVE STOLEN AN APPLE AND ARE FOREVER WANTED DEAD HERE
                          Ah, RPGs.

"Could it be you? Could you be... The One!?"
                          Conversation ensues where we establish I am indeed The One who will save EVERYBODY
                          "Want to buy something off me?"

****ING BUY!?

I've put 10 hours into Divinity Original Sin 2 and I think it might go one to be better than Dragon Age Origins. Magnificent so far. The character customisation and use of the environment in battles is like nothing I've ever seen.

Comment

Started on Dragon quest heroes, i could have sworn these had a english version on switch but only digitally. Seems it never did get released even in eshop form i have it on PS4 but having both on cart in portable form was too good to pass up on. Having a hell of a lot of fun, i started with the first game in the series again & 13 hours have just flown by i forgot just how much of a great match dragon quest and muso battling gameplay is. When i got my switch i originally downloaded the demo but then for whatever reason i totally forgot about it in between so many other games wanting my attention but better late than never. The only other game to really blend well with musou is onepiece, in between my breaks at work today i spent a crazy amount of time levelling up hunting for my fave enemy SLIIIIMES. They just look so good in this version small ones; big chunky king ones. The thrill as a metal slime pops up and then bolts off like it's on steroids and the frantic dash as you pathetically cause 1hp damage to it as you chip away hoping it doesnt run off before you can claim that sweet sweet exp tsunami.

It looks amazing in handheld mode, the janky degraded screenshots do not do it justice at all on oled it looks sharp.

Oh and i forgot mimics were in this version it scared the crap out of me when i triggered one lol

It took one of these to it's wooden chesty face

Must resist the urge to back & forth between the 2 games as that's what happened on ps4 and i burnt out quick. Will try to savour them one at a time, there's no rush to see them through quickly as they can be tackled in large bite sized chunks of several hours at a time lol.
                            Last edited by importaku; 10-02-2024, 23:10.

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

I’ve been getting back into reading Dredd recently and fancied revisiting the pinball table. So I downloaded The Pinball Arcade and all the table packs I bought way back … been loving the Judge Dredd and Elvira tables.

Comment

Working...
                                X