This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A week later:

PS5: Guardians of the Galaxy - About half way through now. There's a lot to like but it's a somewhat bloated game. The scripting, voice work, visuals etc are all excellent though.

XSX: New Super Lucky Tale - Kind of drifted into this due to points chasing

PC: Alan Wake Remastered - Still waiting to boot it up

RG355: Super Ghosts n Goblins - Picking at it thanks to save state negating the frustration of hard or cheap moments

Comment

Still going through Horizon ZD. Forgot how big this game is.

Finished Control for the 3rd time. Few bit to polish off on it and I'm hoping to get my first platinum!

Retro game of the Month:
      Original Doom. Pretty sure it had its anniversary last year. Its still fun. Can't see me finishing it, but I'd like to fire up a retro game every month.

Comment

I'm also going through Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time. I'm level 18 now and I'm enjoying it... You can see where there's room for improvement and it's good to see from the preview of the sequel on ign they've addressed stuff like climbing etc...

Also got back into Halo Infinite, just playing the odd few rounds between work meetings

Comment

New Pokémon Snap. Husband got it for me over Christmas. Only got started playing it last week and just 'finished' the story this evening.

I never owned the original game on the N64 despite loving the concept. I did rent it from Blockbusters years ago, one of the only games
          I ever got around to renting. Main reason I did not buy the original was it was quite short and not that many Pokémon actually featured in it.

This game is simply lovely. Frustrating at times (I'm awaiting a new set of Joycons to arrive) but overall it's the game I wanted back then. Very pretty, certainly the best looking Pokémon game on the Switch.

Only improvement? More of it (more stuff has unlocked since completing the story), an Amiibo of the Neo-One and some Psyducks!?!

EDIT - played a little bit of the unlocked stuff after finishing the story and yes, at least 2 brand new areas as well as night time and, most importantly, PSYDUCK!!!!
          Last edited by Blobcat; 26-01-2022, 07:33.

Comment

Been playing Super Mario 3D World on Switch this past week.

I completed Mario Odyssey last week after picking it up last Christmas, it's been awhile! I loved the opening of the game and some of the Star routes were stunning; Big shout out to the 2D / 3D Donkey Kong climb in the city area. But something didn't grab me and I stopped playing Odyssey early in 2021.

I decided to pick Odyssey back up this last week when I was forced to stay home during illness after my COVID-19 Booster. I started to enjoy it again and saw the credits and just kept playing. All this goodness reminded me how much I used to adore Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS and was reminded Nintendo ported it to the Switch with a load of goodies.

I've not been able to put it down since. I love the level design and game concepts where it's one of the few games that replicates the old saying; 2D into 3D. Despite Mario 64 and Galaxy being 3D adaptions of 2D games, I feel 3D World is one of the few that feels like a geniune 2D game but transplanted into 3D. It's both narrow and small, yet wonderfully liberating and expansive.

The best Mario game? For me, yes. GOAT? Quite possibly.

Comment

Slowly improving at Apex. I feel like I've lost it when it comes to online FPS games but there's been some progress.

Also playing The Witcher 2 which is complete jank. I don't like the combat system at all. I understand it, I can see what they were going for, but it's not fun. I vastly prefer the first game's combat. Also why do you have to meditate to drink potions? It slows the pace of the game right down. Yet applying blade oils can be done on the fly??? Rest of the game is good despite some minor annoyances.

Comment

Blue Reflection Second Light on Switch; been wanting to start a thread on it, hopefully I'll get around it some day.
                Girls Frontline is running a major event right now, so I've been going through its 80+ (!!) stages during evenings.
                And had the bad idea of restarting Into The Breach again...damn its "one more turn" nature!.

Comment

I have been slowly making my way through Disco Elysium

I really like it. I like how there's no combat, in particular. In games where you can choose your own path, I generally select the non-violent one where possible, so it's great that here all of the options are pretty much non-violent.

The standout thing about this game is the writing. This game has actually made me LAUGH , folks. At jokes! I can't tell you how shocking I found that. I honestly find that hardly any games have a real sense of humour or are actually appreciably funny. So that's pretty great and something I've enjoyed.

But beyond that it's just fun to play. It's interesting how it mashes up very traditional, as I understand it, CRPG mechanics, with a really anarchic sensibility in terms of what your character says and does.

Cool game.

Comment

Awesome game, it's just so grim though. Makes me feel sick.
                    The narration is brilliant, I wish I had that voice in my head.

Comment

^^^ agree with both ^^^

It's incredible but such a downer

Comment

^ I must get this game. Physical version is out on Switch in a few weeks - quite tempted by that.

Comment

Ooh, I played a bit more Trover Saves The Universe the other day and it's still so stupid it's making me laugh.
                          I'm also enjoying looking for all the collectables on each level.
                          Not sure how much is left because I played a few more levels, but it's good fun.

I was properly tittering at a sequence where three giant wise creatures give you council, then send you on your quest.
                          As you walk away, one of them is glad they can finally take off their trousers, then starts effusing about how nice the space breeze is on his junk, but you can walk back and he's all like "Oh, you're back, I thought you were gone."

A nice moment of extra dialogue.
                          Last edited by QualityChimp; 27-01-2022, 13:37. Reason: Bold

Comment

Another funny game! You love to see it.
                            [MENTION=3687]Golgo[/MENTION] others will be better placed to comment no doubt, but I did look at a few YouTube comparisons when deciding what platform to get Disco Elysium on, and I thought the Switch port looked pretty bad. Like it all works and stuff, but it runs at a pretty low res and with a jerky <30 framerate a lot of the time.

Here's the vid I watched:

So might be worth getting it on another platform instead.

Comment

[MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION], thanks. Hmm...you're right, it is quite noticeable. I just had a web shufty and apparently it's prone to crashes and has horrendous load times as well whenever you move between rooms/areas.

Comment

Bit of Skyrim VR. Will mod the arse off it at the weekend hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X