This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
    Your ray-tracing game is using 4K textures, hence the 10GB VRAM requirement. The Series S can spank that out at 1440p/60FPS using just 2.5GB to 2.8GB of VRAM by simply down-sampling the textures from 4096x4096 to 2048x2048. It could probably go down to 1024x1024 and save even more before someone like DF would notice anything like slightly softer surfaces.

In your example it sounds like you want to somehow force the Series S into doing native 4K with absolutely no optimisation whatsoever.
    I like that in your technical reply you use the term "spank that out"... lol!

Comment

Not the most scientific methods but an analysis of the heat coming out of the Series X under load...

Comment

Skin melting.

Comment

Dead or Alive VI section, defintely worth viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post

Not the most scientific methods but an analysis of the heat coming out of the Series X under load...
            discussed this elsewhere but five minutes of gaming is not a stress test!!! who plays games for five minutes?

if i had one id be checking the heat after a normal gaming session say a couple of hours use. or doing things to stress it like putting it an entertainment unit with other devices or resting a pile of games on top of it.

Comment

On air, a CPU will reach its max temp after 10-15 minutes. Water cooled things take a little longer.

It doesn't overheat, it was never going to overheat. It's another non-issue
              Last edited by MartyG; 15-10-2020, 17:40.

Comment

Microsoft has announced the official final launch line up. This isn't a reflection of the quality of the games available to play but in terms of launch line ups for a new console launch this cements it as the worst ever assembled (or not as the case seems to be):

• Assassins Creed Valhalla (Smart Delivery)
                • Borderlands 3 (Smart Delivery)
                • Bright Memory 1.0 (Smart Delivery)
                • Cuisine Royale (Smart Delivery)
                • Dead by Daylight (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
                • Dirt 5 (Smart Delivery)
                • Enlisted
                • Evergate
                • The Falconeer (Smart Delivery)
                • Fortnite
                • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • Gears Tactics (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • Grounded (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • King Oddball (Smart Delivery)
                • Maneater (Smart Delivery)
                • Manifold Garden (Smart Delivery)
                • NBA 2K21
                • Observer: System Redux
                • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • Planet Coaster (Smart Delivery)
                • Sea of Thieves (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • Tetris Effect: Connected (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • The Touryst (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                • War Thunder (Smart Delivery)
                • Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition
                • Watch Dogs: Legion (Smart Delivery)
                • WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship (Smart Delivery)
                • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Smart Delivery)
                • Yes, Your Grace (Smart Delivery)

Comment

What is Smart Delivery?

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    What is Smart Delivery?
                    One of the most exciting of the technologies we’re introducing with Xbox Series X is Smart Delivery, which will ensure that you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations. This technology is available for all developers, and all Xbox Game Studios titles that are Optimized for Xbox Series X, including Halo Infinite, will support Smart Delivery.
                    But what does that mean for you, the player? Well, it means that if you purchase the Xbox One version of a supported title, we will deliver the best version of it to your Xbox One, as usual. If you decide to jump into the next generation with Xbox Series X, we will automatically provide the Xbox Series X version of the game at no additional cost when it becomes available. You won’t need to do anything in terms of choosing a version to download. We’ll take care of all of that. And it’s not just limited to games that you purchase digitally; physical discs of Xbox games can also support Smart Delivery if the developer or publisher decides to implement it.

Comment

Jeez. I could have explained that in a sentence, MS.

I think.

Comment

Apparently devs said they'd prefer to use the RAM for games so MS axed the 4K UI

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Microsoft has announced the official final launch line up. This isn't a reflection of the quality of the games available to play but in terms of launch line ups for a new console launch this cements it as the worst ever assembled (or not as the case seems to be):

• Assassins Creed Valhalla (Smart Delivery)
                          • Borderlands 3 (Smart Delivery)
                          • Bright Memory 1.0 (Smart Delivery)
                          • Cuisine Royale (Smart Delivery)
                          • Dead by Daylight (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
                          • Dirt 5 (Smart Delivery)
                          • Enlisted
                          • Evergate
                          • The Falconeer (Smart Delivery)
                          • Fortnite
                          • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • Gears Tactics (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • Grounded (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • King Oddball (Smart Delivery)
                          • Maneater (Smart Delivery)
                          • Manifold Garden (Smart Delivery)
                          • NBA 2K21
                          • Observer: System Redux
                          • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • Planet Coaster (Smart Delivery)
                          • Sea of Thieves (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • Tetris Effect: Connected (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • The Touryst (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
                          • War Thunder (Smart Delivery)
                          • Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition
                          • Watch Dogs: Legion (Smart Delivery)
                          • WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship (Smart Delivery)
                          • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Smart Delivery)
                          • Yes, Your Grace (Smart Delivery)
                          Wait so Tetris Effect: Connected is also game pass? I must have missed this entirely along with the Medium as well...

More free games for launch is fine by me. I'm also really happy to see Forza Horizon 4 is getting enhanced day one... I'm still playing it and there's still stuff in it I haven't finished.

I guess there's no stand out title with Halo Infinite missing but of you pick up Game Pass there is still a tonne of stuff to play.

I still want to see more of the Falconeer but that's one on my radar right now.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            If I was to get a a budget 4K/HDR TV will I still see the benefit coming off 1080p?
                            HDR and contrast ratios are much more important than 4K. I have a 65" OLED and good uncompressed 1080p looks pretty good for the most part. 1440p looks much better and is I think the sweet spot. 4K is fractionally sharper but I can't say I'm particularly bothered. The game changer though is HDR, that can absolutely transform the picture. I watch so much in HDR now whenever I see SDR it looks lifeless, dull, desaturated and flat. Good HDR requires two things - deep black levels (OLED or a FALD LCD), and high peak white luminance. Cheap LCDs have neither and look barely any different to SDR as a result.

Comment

Yeah on LED or QLED or whatever technique the LCD TV is using its never going to have the contrast of OLED simply because OLED can go full black by switching off entirely.

QLED high end sets can hit higher brightness peaks though and HDR can still look great on these but on cheap TV sets you're getting neither of these things.

Comment

Yeah, that's why a test is a must really. Fully agree with the above 2 posts, but it also really depends on where you're coming from (i.e. what set you have now and therefore what you're used to), and also your sensitivity to picture quality generally. Some people just don't see some stuff. I have a mate that swears the horrible compressed 720p NowTV picture is completely fine and there's nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X