This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    Is there actually an easy mode too, or is it just these items that make it easier?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHH!!!!!HHHAHAHAH!H!H!!HHAH AHHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Not in the original, no.

Extra starting items? If you're a veteran player you won't need them and if you're a new player they won't help you; you'll still die loads!!!

Let's look at the extras:

Legendary Hero Soul : This will be accidentally wasted just getting more souls to later then be lost when new player dies and fails to retrieve bloodstain
    Renowned Warrior Soul : As above
    Storied Warrior Soul : As above
    Red-Eye knight Armour : New. "You are not strong enough to wear this at the moment" I'd guess
    Boletarian Royalty Armour : New. As above
    Ritual blade : No idea
    Hoplite shield : New item I think (used by Hoplites, not usually available to use?)
    Ring of Longevity : New item
    Preservation Grains : New
    Phospohorescent Grains : New
    Bearbug Grains : New
    Large Hardstone Shard : Ok one less needed to upgrade stuff
    Moonlight Stone : A single shard. Big deal

Start as deprived for the TRUE Demon's Souls experience!

Looks like they've added some new stuff anyway. Shouldn't mess up the game balance.
    Last edited by Brad; 30-09-2020, 13:28.

Comment

Come here little noob noob, there's a shiny trinket over this rickety bridge, tread on it, its fine, the boards wont break

Comment

Miyazaki is philosophically opposed to easy modes for Souls. Which is something I can 100% get behind. Not from an elitist POV (I'm pretty bad at games), but because I'm always keen to enjoy media as the artist intended.

I'm going to veer OT here but I've been musing recently on how interesting it is that games are often in part taken as a starting point for later mods and tweaks.

That can result in some really great stuff, like the entire campaigns people build for some games, or the extensive bugfixing for Elder Scrolls.

But it also results in stuff that I just think is weird and pointless, like the mod for Link's Awakening on Switch which removes the vignette effect on the edges of the screen. It's not hurting anyone, sure, no one's forcing you to install it, but it seems pointless to me. I'd rather appreciate a game with all the artistic intent intact, for better or worse, and experience it and evaluate it on that basis.

It's an area where games enthusiasts differ from movie/AV people, who tend to obsess over watching films in a way that preserves artistic intent as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I've gone on this ramble, nor am I addressing anyone in particular with it. But I guess, to bring this back on topic, no, there is no easy mode in Souls, and nor should there be one, and honestly even offering a bundle of powered up items seems like kind of a sell-out to me. But then it's probably a decision driven by how much money Sony are losing on each PS5 more than any creative urge.

Comment

When you turn up in full-on free item kit, Patches laughs uncontrollably in the Nexus non-stop

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
            When you turn up in full-on free item kit, Patches laughs uncontrollably in the Nexus non-stop
            Your name is automatically set to Full Kit W***** and cannot be changed.

Comment

Being able to wear Red Eye Knight Armour without killing a Red Eye Knight is an afront!

Hopefully they've adjusted for this but I spent an hour on the PS3 game in an emulator at 2k 60fps a couple of nights ago and it is ridiculously easy. I hadn't touched then game for several years so I'd suggest that the restricted framerate added to the original difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                there is no easy mode in Souls
                There is, it's called summoning.

Comment

Miyazaki is philosophically opposed to easy modes for Souls. Which is something I can 100% get behind. Not from an elitist POV (I'm pretty bad at games), but because I'm always keen to enjoy media as the artist intended.

I'm going to veer OT here but I've been musing recently on how interesting it is that games are often in part taken as a starting point for later mods and tweaks.

That can result in some really great stuff, like the entire campaigns people build for some games, or the extensive bugfixing for Elder Scrolls.

But it also results in stuff that I just think is weird and pointless, like the mod for Link's Awakening on Switch which removes the vignette effect on the edges of the screen. It's not hurting anyone, sure, no one's forcing you to install it, but it seems pointless to me. I'd rather appreciate a game with all the artistic intent intact, for better or worse, and experience it and evaluate it on that basis.

It's an area where games enthusiasts differ from movie/AV people, who tend to obsess over watching films in a way that preserves artistic intent as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I've gone on this ramble, nor am I addressing anyone in particular with it. But I guess, to bring this back on topic, no, there is no easy mode in Souls, and nor should there be one, and honestly even offering a bundle of powered up items seems like kind of a sell-out to me. But then it's probably a decision driven by how much money Sony are losing on each PS5 more than any creative urge.

I think the difficulty is what made this game. The one-more-go factor is there because of it (oh the fast loading times are really going to boost this factor too). The clunkiness of the combat and movement when in heavy armour. You feel every block (again, should be ace with dual sense), the feeling of weight. The clashing of steel. The breaking of weak wooden scenery. Edging around the world with real uncertainty. IT's what makes this game what it is.

The only thing I would say that might be needed, is a bit of guidance on some of the uses of souls. People will eat demon's souls not realising what else they could be used for. Also, the online.

Comment

The clashing of steel. The breaking of weak wooden scenery.

HURT ME MOOOOOOORE

Originally posted by bcass
                    There is, it's called summoning

Yeah, that's true, summoning makes it way easier. But I think it's clever that the only way to make it easier is to get help from someone else. There's no option to make your character more powerful, or the enemies weaker. You have to basically draft someone better in and watch them do it for you.

Last edited by wakka; 30-09-2020, 14:00.

Comment

Article about how ShopTo have handled PS5 preorders with a small chat with the boss. An interesting quote:

Cipolletta insisted ShopTo is currently only sending the late delivery warning email to those who failed to convert their interest into a pre-order on time, or who secured duplicate pre-orders.

Comment

Your name is automatically set to Full Kit W***** and cannot be changed.
                        I bet that PSN won't let you set that as a PSN ID!!

Comment

Summoning is how I beat demon's souls originally lol. I feel ashamed.

Comment

Summoning is how I beat demon's souls originally lol. I feel ashamed.
                            The shame runs so deep when you use it

Comment

GT7 now has a Web page. Wonder if it's 2021 release?

Gran Turismo™ 7 brings you the best features from the history of the franchise. Find your line.

Comment

There's no option to make your character more powerful
                                Sure there is, it's called farming (for souls + upgrade materials), although summoning is the easier route. That's always been the beauty of these games - you can make them as hard or as easy as best suits your play style / ability.

Comment

Working...
                                X