This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    The cost of 1tb of gen4 nvme ssd retail is currently more than the PS5 diskless. Wouldn’t get anywhere near PS5/SeriesX specs for under 1k building yourself, even a cheap build.
    You can have one for less than £200, from respected brands. https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...e-40-nvme-ssds

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
      I'd be very suprised if the loss on the PS5 DE was only $40 tbh - there's no way that either MS or Sony are breaking even on any of the launch consoles - go and try building an equivalent spec PC.
      It's been widely reported that Sony and Microsoft's machines are coming in at a cost to make of c.$450, so it's likely that's based on some solid estimates.

That said Pachter's language feels overly strong but maybe there is data that suggests digital consoles revenue per user isn't significantly higher than machines with disc drives. Sony's aggressive pricing on the DE suggests they have more information/faith in the opportunity of basically killing physical media quicker even if they lose more money on those machines.

Comment

I've seen those, then you need to add in controller, packaging, logistics, marketing and although that was widely reported, it was from a single source (Bloomberg) that everyone jumped on back in February 2020. Richard Leadbetter from Digital Foundry suggested it could be higher.

8 Core Zen 2 CPU, custom Gen-4 1TB flash, 10TF RDNA 2- GPU, 16 GB GDDR6 - this is not cheap tech and at £449 retail, these new consoles are an incredibly good buy for what you're getting inside them.
        Last edited by MartyG; 03-10-2020, 14:22.

Comment

[MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] no doubt they are expensive boxes, most new consoles are initially. That said even with fluctuations in part costs those figures won't be that far off. But Pachter is far more likely to be privy to those figures than we are. I don't think marketing would be accounted for in Bloomberg's cost estimates.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            I've seen those, then you need to add in controller, packaging, logistics, marketing and although that was widely reported, it was from a single source (Bloomberg) that everyone jumped on back in February 2020. Richard Leadbetter from Digital Foundry suggested it could be higher.

8 Core Zen 2 CPU, custom Gen-4 1TB flash, 10TF RDNA 2- GPU, 16 GB GDDR6 - this is not cheap tech and at £449 retail, these new consoles are an incredibly good buy for what you're getting inside them.
            £350 for the diskless is downright giving it away currently. Crazy.

Comment

PS5 rumoured to have 664GB of storage after OS.

Doesn't sound like a 1TB version at all.
              Last edited by hudson; 03-10-2020, 17:22.

Comment

The drive is only 860 odd without the OS its never been called a 1tb. 760 odd someone estimated with the OS. Wait and see i guess.

760 or 650 is pitiful though these days, devs are hardly going to clean their code up to a point that everything fits on the internal for even a few years. Over the lifetime of the console this is going to be a serious issue that needs fixing.

Comment

I see what your saying, but if Sony are printing 1TB on the side of the box and I don't know any better, I'll be like "wah!?!".

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                    I see what your saying, but if Sony are printing 1TB on the side of the box and I don't know any better, I'll be like "wah!?!".
                    On the box is says 825GB.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      On the box is says 825GB.
                      They needs to be changing that then

Comment

In that case so does every other manufacturer who has storage in their products.

Comment

Yep, let's do it.

Comment

Is it 825gb after the OS is installed?

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                              Is it 825gb after the OS is installed?

There's a video going around showing the storage to be 664GB after OS.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                                PS5 rumoured to have 664GB of storage after OS.

Doesn't sound like a 1TB version at all.
                                This is pretty much what I'd estimated. Not a lot but inline with the Series X having 802GB useable space and I estimate the Series S having around 380 - 400GB.

Comment

Working...
                                X