Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take it back - UI reveal is shows just how extensively thirsty gamers are for PS5 as it notches 6.5m views already

That's the same as the Series S reveal has accomplished in its entirety since 08 Septembers reveal

Comment

Having watched Digital Foundry analysis of the UI I appreciate more what they've done. I still think there is too much going on.
      If the challenges cards are aimed at the regular in game achievements we have already (defeat X number of baddies, jump 1000 times etc) then that's not a bad idea. But if its some bespoke challenges for PS5 then it'll bearly be used.

Comment

I think it will come down to how Sony mandate games must use it. When Microsoft introduced Gamerscore and Achievements, they made it a mandatory part of a 360 game release that they be included.

A lot of developers initially half arsed it with the bare minimum effort (looking at you, TES III: Oblivion), but as time went on they started to get to grips with it, the system grew in popularity, and now it's something we take for granted across both platforms.

I agree the best new ideas will barely be used unless Sony force developers initially though.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          Interesting that voice control is built into the console system wide and every controller has a mic for it as well, very nice move. Also looking forward to not faffing with headsets for party chat as well.
          A mic in the controller is fine and dandy for voice commands, but if you're using a home cinema system and trying to do party chat with the mic in a controller, you're not so secretly going to be the least popular person.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            I think it will come down to how Sony mandate games must use it. When Microsoft introduced Gamerscore and Achievements, they made it a mandatory part of a 360 game release that they be included.

A lot of developers initially half arsed it with the bare minimum effort (looking at you, TES III: Oblivion), but as time went on they started to get to grips with it, the system grew in popularity, and now it's something we take for granted across both platforms.

I agree the best new ideas will barely be used unless Sony force developers initially though.
            Yeah the alluded to that in the DF discussion saying the onus is on developers to do a lot of authoring of content to make this work. Obviously sackboy is a 1st party title so naturally has it done properly.

I wonder how much extra effort it is to tie in achievements to the cards, add in the details and hints etc... My guess is a fair amount depending on how specific the required tasks are to unlock the achievements.

Might be a right PITA for developers so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Comment

My guess is it will be a pain for developers initially (I’m not expecting the implementation for early crossgen crossplat stuff to be much cop at all) but over time it’ll just become something they resource and build into the project plan for a game, like any other feature. Especially if these ideas are popular enough that Microsoft copy them and build a version into the Xbox OS.

I think it’s also worth considering that the Challenge cards have the potential to be useful for developers who are trying to retain players. If they’re able to drop a card onto the systems of an owner with a newly released challenge for them to try - which they can access directly, without menus and all the rest of it, in one click through the card - that could be immensely useful for them, and something they’d be motivated to take full advantage of.

Of course then you’ve got the question of how Sony manage it if players with large libraries are being inundated with these kinds of cards. There are plenty of ways of handling that though.

Interesting times.
              Last edited by wakka; 16-10-2020, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                Yeah the alluded to that in the DF discussion saying the onus is on developers to do a lot of authoring of content to make this work. Obviously sackboy is a 1st party title so naturally has it done properly.

I wonder how much extra effort it is to tie in achievements to the cards, add in the details and hints etc... My guess is a fair amount depending on how specific the required tasks are to unlock the achievements.

Might be a right PITA for developers so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it.
                already their is a system wide achievement descriptions that sits in the UI, that is Sony mandated. This is just a different way of presenting the same data in byte size chunks. i doubt it will be any more work for dev's than the current system.

its the added stuff like guide videos, screenshots ect that take the extra work and its up to each dev if they want to do this sort of thing. A simple way would be to use a third party video system like youtube that let's users upload help videos a voting system that let users rate the best vid's would keep things relevant as well.
                Last edited by Lebowski; 16-10-2020, 10:43.

Comment

It's just really great that these features are there. It can really enrich your experience. I sometimes get motivated to beat hi-scores of my friends in friends list leaderboards or get more trophies (I know, childish eh? NO it's healthy competitiveness... even though my friends don't even realise or care that I'm gunning for them lol) and all this social meta stuff the PS5 UI is giving devs/us can add to this. yeah, it's just go to be presented nicely and info load quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                    already their is a system wide achievement descriptions that sits in the UI, that is Sony mandated. This is just a different way of presenting the same data in byte size chunks. i doubt it will be any more work for dev's than the current system.

its the added stuff like guide videos, screenshots ect that take the extra work and its up to each dev if they want to do this sort of thing. A simple way would be to use a third party video system like youtube that let's users upload help videos a voting system that let users rate the best vid's would keep things relevant as well.
                    I think that is the problem though. Once you depend on a 3rd party system you have a break in the possible integration. Not saying it won't work but unless the developers are linking to their own videos you have the potential for the target to change which can be good and bad.

It's hard to say how it will pan out but certainly having it embedded direct in the UI its going to make it more accessible.

Comment

It's not news, but it's something...

Just noticed that content descriptions on the PS Store start with the following paragraph:

To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. Although this game is playable on PS5, some features available on PS4 may be absent. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        It's not news, but it's something...

Just noticed that content descriptions on the PS Store start with the following paragraph:
                        @rse coverage

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          @rse coverage
                          Come again?

Comment

He means they're just covering their rears with the statement you posted.

Comment

Ah yes, of course.

Comment

Got a bunch of emails from Amazon today saying all the PS5 accessories are now out on the 12th. They have all the packaging pictures up too if anyone wants some crazy excitement.

Comment

Working...
                                X