No announcement yet.

Virtua Fighter x eSport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change the UI and costumes a bit, rebalance with a few new moves and say 2 extra fighters and release it in a year with a number 6 slapped on it

Comment

I doubt AM2 did anything. Do they even exist any more? It's an RGG remaster to cash in on the online FGC.

Lets be honest, it was never going to be anything else. There will never be a VF6.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
        I'm in that camp too, but I'm still scratching my head about the details here - getting AM2 to remake the game in the Yakuza engine, with the only changes being to the cosmetic bits rather than the gameplay?
        Sometimes this makes sense with older titles; like how the Mass Effect Trilogy version of ME1 is a complete remake of ME1 in the engine for ME2, or how the recent Sonic iOS games were actually remakes of Sonic 1 & 2 made in the engine that would later power Sonic Mania.

Older games were often made in engines that were purpose-engineered for a specific piece of hardware, and they're not always flexible. A remake of the game, in a more modern engine, is both good for present hardware but might be easy to re-release on PS5, 6, 7, 8, 9...

All of the big companies are keen on this stuff now, whereas years ago they didn't care. But Sega make big bucks selling things like the PS3 version of Daytona USA, so this is at the forefront of their minds.

Comment

1st of June.

Comment

Yes Asura, I'm sure you're right - I assume the remake in the RGG engine is to make this easily flexible/extensible going forwards, rather than being stuck with a perhaps technically inconvenient PS3 game.

Here's my thing: I've never played VF. I actually cannot play fighting games for the life of me, but I'll give this a try purely out of curiosity (and because it's free since I have PS+). It's always been a franchise that has intrigued me from afar.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Here's my thing: I've never played VF. I actually cannot play fighting games for the life of me, but I'll give this a try purely out of curiosity (and because it's free since I have PS+). It's always been a franchise that has intrigued me from afar.
              Virtua Fighter is actually quite easy to grasp on a basic level. The game only has three buttons, the inputs tend to make sense, and it lacks things like projectiles or overly elaborate fantastical moves.

However, you'll need to learn a character a bit to really have fun. One of the reasons Tekken ultimately beat VF was that in Tekken as, say, Hwoarang, if you bash random buttons he'll do all this cool Taekwondo stuff, but if you bash random buttons as Akira in VF, he'll just flail about in a crap-looking way.

But if you learn some of the initial moveset for a character (they tend to follow themes, e.g. diagonally down-forward + kick will make nearly all characters do a mid-height kick) you'll be away. Just don't worry about the advanced crap right away, just have fun with it.

Comment

Thanks Asura, that's good advice I'll give it a bash for sure. And yes I know what you mean about Tekken...Eddie Gordo was always a fave back in the day for exactly that reason!

Comment

SEGA hanging out in Twitch chats giving away free codes for the game and DLC. managed to get the DLC pack for free

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    SEGA hanging out in Twitch chats giving away free codes for the game and DLC. managed to get the DLC pack for free
                    Lucky.

Comment

Taking the crusty second-hand option it's going to cost me over €300 to play this.

I can't be that arsed, unfortunately.

Comment

Game is great. Netcode is crap. :/

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                          I saw on Reddit that it doesn't use rollback netcode; apparently something about Virtua Fighter makes it very difficult to do.

If the netcode is crap, then that's really disappointing. Like I know anyone within 100 miles who will play Virtua Fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            I saw on Reddit that it doesn't use rollback netcode; apparently something about Virtua Fighter makes it very difficult to do.

If the netcode is crap, then that's really disappointing. Like I know anyone within 100 miles who will play Virtua Fighter.
                            It isn't great but I've had about 30 matches today which have been mostly playable. Bumped into @Mr_Kirov in Ranked Mode too

Comment

Originally posted by ItsThere View Post
                              Ah, the old Smash Bros. Ultimate set up.

Comment

I have always wanted to play Virtua Fighter online against people and I had a go this evening and literally got my back side handed to me... but I really enjoyed it as I’ve only really played against computer opponents before.

Having never owned the Xbox 360 version of Showdown. Playing it on the PS5 through plus was my first go at it. It is obvious that the game is geared towards online arcade play. The last time I played a virtua fighter game was on the PS3, when it first came out, so I have been starved of it, like many of its fan base...

I have been a long time gamer on virtua fighter right from the inception, and as hit and miss as it first appeared when going online, I am starting to enjoy the randomness of the people I come against. Not dared trying ranking mode, preferring to just have normal exhibition matches online.

Hopefully catch one of you guys online sometime...

Comment

Working...
                                X