This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    This is the problem with proprietary vs Off the shelf.
    I don't know if anyone remembers the great memory card glut of the ps2 were they couldn't manufacture them fast enough and the price was getting a lot of negative feedback.
    As nice as these MS cards are, there is a lesson there to remember.
    Its convenience hiding the increased cost and lower spec, most people aren't even aware this drive doesn't really meet the minimum spec for gen 4 nvme drives as they have nothing to compare it too.

Comment

The $399 price is pretty cheeky. That said the price on the 1TB has dropped pretty quickly since launch. It was £220rrp and was going for £180 just a few months later. Lowest I've seen it go was £120 on eBay and £150 on Amazon.

As a proprietary option at least it's dropping to what I'd call affordable and fair prices.

To be fair I'm still not finding storage a problem, even on the Series S... Though I tend to install and play less on mine. I'll most likely wait it out till later next year when these have been out a while and see how prices are going.

What probably needs to happen here is for Seagate exclusivity to end so we can see more competition in the market.

Comment

People might need an extra ssd. Forza is 103gb on the seriesX/S.

Comment

Yikes! Flight Sim or Avengers will have to mosey on down to the USB SSD.

It would probably get super confusing to manage, but I'd like it if I could store a game on internal storage and just move its add-ons to external(even if those need to be moved back to actually play the game).

One other thing I'd really like is a USB enclosure that can fit two HDDs and has two USB cables. A green cable for Xbox and a blue cable for PlayStation.

Alternatively, I could just sellotape two external drives together, similar to the Megatron remote control in Peep Show:

Actually, it's a silly idea. Forget I said anything.

Comment

Just stream Avengers via XCloud, it plays fine it's doesn't need twitch reactions and it's really not worth the download time.

Forza though, probably better played locally, I did try that streamed and I couldn't match my hot lap times which I think is down to lag not allowing the micro inputs to be effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              It's all a million miles away from the other side of the coin. There's no doubt of the value of Game Pass, it's still hard to believe it even exists. From a consumer angle it's unrivalled in its value and I understand the desire to effectively be able to get all Nintendo, Sony or whoevers major titles for free also. It's also blatantly clear that its value goes beyond that too, it saved Xbox. Without the prospect of GamePass would MS have still stuck it out with the Xbox Division? It's allowed them to monetise the division in a way that they always struggled to previously so the decision to attempt it makes sense. So, it's not a criticism of Game Pass itself, just that I don't expect to ever see imitators appear and I feel it's somewhat obvious how it's going to hit a glass ceiling this gen.
              Nintendo could easily provide the entirety of its back catalogue of NES, SNES, N64, GB, DS & Wii for a £5 monthly fee or less because there's next to zero cost to them in doing it. They've already paid for those games investment wise and recouped the costs tenfold by selling them to you again every time they release a new console.

It isn't a glass cealing stopping Nintendo, it's a wall of perceived money - Nintendo is far to entrenched in its old business practices to change how it operates - the take up would be massive, the income would be higher overall. You pull back those that choose to obtain these things by alternative methods due to the convenience of having there.

I haven't bothered with Switch online because the value isn't there, which means Nintendo gets nothing. 0 x 12 x years of ownership of Switch = 0.

There are 85 million+ Switches out there and whilst some of their individual attach rates are impressive, most titles don't even reach a quarter of that audience. As I've said before, it's a numbers games with this type of subscription service - because after that lower boundary, every thing above it is pure profit.

As of June 2021, total games sales were at 632.40 million (that's all games not just Nintendo dev titles that would be lower). With 85 million Switches, that's a game attach rate of 2 titles a year - so how many £12-15 subs would Nintendo need to surpass a 2 game per Switch per year attach rate?
              Last edited by MartyG; 22-10-2021, 07:51.

Comment

People might need an extra ssd. Forza is 103gb on the seriesX/S.

https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/ne...izon-5-preload
                I should balance this by saying GT Sport is over 100gb and sure with next gen compression and such it might get down to 70gb, but with all the extra stuff GT7 is going to have, I predict it'll easy be over 100gb too.

Comment

I should balance this by saying GT Sport is over 100gb and sure with next gen compression and such it might get down to 70gb, but with all the extra stuff GT7 is going to have, I predict it'll easy be over 100gb too.
                  Looking at the sheer size of the game and it using high resolution textures I am surprised it's not actually bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    As of June 2021, total games sales were at 632.40 million (that's all games not just Nintendo dev titles that would be lower). With 85 million Switches, that's a game attach rate of 2 titles a year - so how many £12-15 subs would Nintendo need to surpass a 2 game per Switch per year attach rate?
                    That's the wrinkle, there's so many little details to account for such as the server costs, licensing where required, publisher cuts, retailer cuts etc. In raw terms you'd need three subs per year to make the RRP of one new game sold so 6x subs per Switch worth to equal two game sales. That's not at all in any way mathematically the reality but the more wrinkles to the math the more difficult the picture of a viable subscription service becomes.

I'd 100% agree about Nintendo failing to do something like this for their older games, they're more than willing to throw roms out and having a sub service for it available for Switch, mobiles and PC seems like a no brainer. It'd be a completely different ball game for them doing it for new titles, having games like Mario Kart 9 on day one on it and I'd be willing to bet it never happens.

But Nintendo leaving money on the table seems to go hand in hand with the company, they leave so many opportunities whilst being astoundingly stingey in others over wringing some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      That's the wrinkle, there's so many little details to account for such as the server costs, licensing where required, publisher cuts, retailer cuts etc. In raw terms you'd need three subs per year to make the RRP of one new game sold so 6x subs per Switch worth to equal two game sales. That's not at all in any way mathematically the reality but the more wrinkles to the math the more difficult the picture of a viable subscription service becomes.

I'd 100% agree about Nintendo failing to do something like this for their older games, they're more than willing to throw roms out and having a sub service for it available for Switch, mobiles and PC seems like a no brainer. It'd be a completely different ball game for them doing it for new titles, having games like Mario Kart 9 on day one on it and I'd be willing to bet it never happens.

But Nintendo leaving money on the table seems to go hand in hand with the company, they leave so many opportunities whilst being astoundingly stingey in others over wringing some stuff.
                      What I find surprising about nintendo is they're happy to issue hardware such as the mini NES and SNES which come with 20-30 roms and they're happy to give you access to them through their subscription service online for an ongoing fee... but they continue to not offer access to individual titles in the back catalogue to own outright.

They've already got the eShop setup and the mechanics to provide it and its another avenue for profitability through sale of old games...

I just find it strange they believe having them attached to another product is the best way to exploit them.

Comment

Because gamers spending habbits say Nintendo can keep selling them over and over for maximum profits.

Comment

Looks like GTA trilogy is coming to game pass. I would assume for a very short period of time if RDR2 and GTAV is any indication.

Edit: Its just a standalone version of San Andreas.
                          Last edited by nonny; 22-10-2021, 13:00.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                            https://www.gamespot.com/amp-article...mpression=true

Looks like GTA trilogy is coming to game pass. I would assume for a very short period of time if RDR2 and GTAV is any indication.
                            It’s just GTA San Andreas for game pass. PS Now gets GTA 3.

Comment

Yeah apologies was just coming back to edit!

Comment

Well this is shaping up nicely, even if you like 30fps quality mode...

Comment

Working...
                                X