Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to laugh one can even play RSG in HDR now.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Well the biggest surprise to me is now how good Ori looks and plays the 120 FPS is something else in this and the whole game looks stunning even more so now...
      What TV are you using TA?

Comment

The boy got his first experience of non-Kindle related gaming today with Tetris Connected and he loved it!!

He's watched me play stuff before (he REALLY wants me to buy the LEGO DLC for Horizon 4) but this was his first hands-on controller playing time.

Can't wait for next Thursday and Sackboy - his reaction to the trailer is the reason I bought that.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
          What TV are you using TA?
          LG55 CX6LA

Comment

Trying to sift through MS's seemingly simple but more murky on inspection celebration milestones is sticky work.

-Series S has attracted a higher percentage of new players than any other MS system before (presumably this suggests that the system has done well at attracting new users to Xbox and indicates existing users were more inclined to buy Series X. It's a hard one to decipher in terms of hardware sales though it suggests a healthy mid to high hundreds of thousands units figure minimum).

-70% of Series S/X users at launch had Game Pass subscriptions at launch (a key result given MS's aims but murky because it doesn't seem to separate subs in terms of those with existing subscriptions and those using trials from new concurrent subs, though we'll likely get an update in March on where sub figures are up to)

-

Comment

It might be viewing it through the microcosm of internet forums but the majority of people I know who have GamePass have done the £1 trick where they've bought the max 36 months of Live and then converted it.

Quick maths means that 36 months Live + £1 = £121 versus 36 months GP Ultimate @ £10.99 a month = 395.64.

That's a bit of a difference in revenue. Multiplied by X users that trick could end up costing Microsoft millions!!

Comment

Yep, it'll be an interesting balancing act between maintaining subscriptions and bringing in new users. I'd be surprised if most Series S/X sales so far weren't to existing or lapsed Xbox owners so next year will be key to driving GP subs up more than now. Still, no need to budget for Halo Infinite or Forza next year

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                  It might be viewing it through the microcosm of internet forums but the majority of people I know who have GamePass have done the £1 trick where they've bought the max 36 months of Live and then converted it.

Quick maths means that 36 months Live + £1 = £121 versus 36 months GP Ultimate @ £10.99 a month = 395.64.

That's a bit of a difference in revenue. Multiplied by X users that trick could end up costing Microsoft millions!!
                  It's not a 'trick' and it isn't 'costing Microsoft millions'. If it were, they would have put an end to it long ago.

Microsoft wants to rope in people to their ecosystem and they're willing to spend money (or reduce their revenue, depending on how you look at it) in order to do so. It's working, as far as I can tell. It made me buy an Xbox One X and my friend just impulse bought an Xbox Series X, after which I subscribed him to Game Pass Ultimate for close to three years.

I also believe the number of people taking advantage of the generous ratio at which Gold converts for first-time subscribers is much lower than most imagine it to be.

Comment

I'm sure that 70% of game pass owners are existing upgraders and all access subs so there'll be a split of current subscriptions whom I am sure used every trick in the book, versus new locked in full paying customers.

It's the people in the middle that are the most interesting. Will they know the methods to get it cheap? I doubt it. It's priced well enough the value proposition is attractive.

I'd also wager MS knows absolutely everything going on with access costs as well. They don't seem concerned because right now they just want everyone to try it because they know numbers matter and it's s service that's easy to join and hard to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                      It's not a 'trick' and it isn't 'costing Microsoft millions'. If it were, they would have put an end to it long ago.
                      Like how all consoles are sold for profit at launch...oh wait, they're not.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all. I just wonder about the economics of it all. It's fascinating.

Comment

It's long term. At the end of 2021 and the £1 upgraders will have to pay full price or they won't have access any more. They are gambling that at this point they will carry on regardless.

Also, we don't know how developers are paid for their games. If it is proportional to Game Pass profits, it doesn't matter how many subscribers they have.

Comment

Bloody hell, Daytona USA looks awesome in HDR the colours pop out of the screen

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

What is this trick?

Comment

Originally posted by dazza_cole View Post
                              What is this trick?
                              Basically, if you have an existing Xbox Live Gold account (which costs the same £40 odd quid a year it always has), then Microsoft have an offer which means you can upgrade your remaining paid subscription time to Game Pass Ultimate (usually £10.99 per month) for a one-off fee of £1.

There are two catches - you can only do it once per account, and the maximum amount of Gold you can convert to GP Ultimate is 36 months.

What people tend to do is purchase 36 months of Gold for about ~£120, then pay the £1 to upgrade the whole lot to GP Ultimate.

It's a 'trick', but it is fully sanctioned by MS. The £1 upgrade offer is available on their website or via the Xbox interface itself. It's been possible for quite a while now, at least a year or more, so they obviously don't feel it's hurting them.

It's a pretty great deal since it's effectively a ~75% discount.

Comment

I have done it a second time now, it wasn’t possible before, but it worked on the Series X

Comment

Working...
                                X