This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    I think we will see performance/quality modes for most games now with some able to juggle both.
    I don't see this big thing with native 4k when checkerboard 4k is almost unnoticeable to most. It's almost like neither console maker wants to be the one not to have native 4k for everything as a shear dick measuring contest.
    Checkerboard 4k/60 is likely more doable for this gen.
    I think it's just a selling point to people who have a 4K TV that need a 4K console that plays 4K films and games...

Easy to understand but the reality is the resolution is variable and not always as important as the general consumer thinks. Agree that with checkerboard techniques and the DLSS/FXSR route we're seeing there's smart ways to get a great image and fast response without worrying too much about whether it's native.

Comment

I think we will see performance/quality modes for most games now with some able to juggle both.
      I don't see this big thing with native 4k when checkerboard 4k is almost unnoticeable to most. It's almost like neither console maker wants to be the one not to have native 4k for everything as a shear dick measuring contest.
      Checkerboard 4k/60 is likely more doable for this gen.
      Whats gonna happen to the series S if the Series X starts having to sacrifice resolution to maintain FPS, the whole selling point of the series S is its an X for 1080p Tv's! its got nowhere to go as it already at 1080p.

Comment

Probably variable everything so you never get any stability. I mean the seriesS is already wobbling under the pressure of a current gen games, how its going to cope with something full fat next gen in a years time is anyones guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
          Whats gonna happen to the series S if the Series X starts having to sacrifice resolution to maintain FPS, the whole selling point of the series S is its an X for 1080p Tv's! its got nowhere to go as it already at 1080p.
          Upscaled 720p?

Comment

I mean what are people really expecting from a 1080p £249 console?
            Series S won’t hold the Series X back any less than 2080 holds back a 3080.
            Returnal is running a 1080p internal resolution, temporal reconstructed to 1440p checkerboard to 2160p and that’s a 2021 PS5 exclusive. Games will be made to fit and run on the hardware using all available methods, devs will prioritise resolutions and some devs will prioritise frame rate, hasn’t it always been this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
              I mean what are people really expecting from a 1080p £249 console?
              Series S won’t hold the Series X back any less than 2080 holds back a 3080.
              Returnal is running a 1080p internal resolution, temporal reconstructed to 1440p checkerboard to 2160p and that’s a 2021 PS5 exclusive. Games will be made to fit and run on the hardware using all available methods, devs will prioritise resolutions and some devs will prioritise frame rate, hasn’t it always been this way?
              I gotta say apart from Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered which is still a horrific 1080p30 with not option for 60fps... I'm really bloody impressed by the Series S.

It is variable game by game but it's a wee powerhouse. Developers just need to play to its strengths and I've no real concerns it'll keep up.

Comment

Yeah, it's the same as every gen, the further it goes on the more sacrifices will be made in favour of fidelity. PC's cakewalk consoles but it would be unrealistic to expect a 3080 to 4K60fps a game that comes out in 7 years time unless you scale back the settings far enough which I'm personally very doubtful devs will do on console without a workaround being released.

Comment

Games won’t really take advantage of the hardware in the new consoles for a while yet other than brute force rendering and loading times. Stuff like mesh shaders, the fancy new storage systems,VRS and SFS will make a big difference as developers get to grips with them.

Comment

Anyone tried Knockout City on Game Pass?

It's EA and it's 3 on 3 dodgeball... and, I am pleasantly surprised. Has a great control setup, easy to play, hard to master... And it's cross play.

Had a few great matches and it seems to be just pure fun all round. Getting a Splatoon sort of vibe from it. Worth a look if that's your sort of thing.

Comment

Games? What are those?

Comment

I know they need to get people pumped but I just can't get excited about Bethesda. Interested to see what else is on the books.

Comment

Skyrim has been out for Longer than the gap between Morrowind and Skyrim (that had Oblivion in the middle of it, for those who lose track of the names).

Comment

Looking forward to Deathloop on SeriesX, well worth the expenditure to secure exclusives like that from Arcane, oh wait.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              Looking forward to Deathloop on SeriesX, well worth the expenditure to secure exclusives like that from Arcane, oh wait.
                              Well that's a bit unfair isn't it? That deal was secured by Sony prior to purchase so it's good business to honour that. Sony were obviously smart to get timed exclusivity on that one as it looks amazing, like a healthy mix of Dishonored and Hitman.

I guess we can expect it on Xbox the minute that timed exclusivity expires... And in terms of expenditure and exclusivity it's most likely the last Arkane game to grace the PS5...

Comment

I know they need to get people pumped but I just can't get excited about Bethesda. Interested to see what else is on the books.
                                I'm interested more than excited. I really like the new Doom and Wolfenstein games well apart from Young blood but they were forced to rush that one out.

You look across the studios Bethesda has and you wonder what they could do if they were given some free reign and time.

Comment

Working...
                                X