No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to say which way this is going to go.
    I can't think of a time we've had Proprietary vs off the shelf.
    I prefer the idea of the off the shelf solution only because it might help advancement and price reduction.
    But as Nonny said, it's open to easy **** ups. Without a heatsink I think the ps5 will shield itself well from the heat, but the ssd will be shagged. I know the huge ps5 heatsink passes across the back of the drive port so that might help?

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
      Anyone else get the feeling that bit about needing a heatsink and installing it yourself is going to lead to disaster for many?

I wonder how many owners aren't going to realise it's required and just slap a drive in there without one, unless of course it comes preinstalled on the top.
      I honestly doubt there are that many people who will be shelling out £200+ for a bare drive to fit for themselves and not at least a little bit tech savvy.

It does make the XBox Series cassette type solution look far easier though, even if it sacrifices flexibility (incidently, these 1TB are currently £179 on Amazon at the mo, which is the cheapest I've seen).

As Kryss said tho, there's always the option to delete stuff you're not playing - soon we will have interventions for digital data hoarders.
      Last edited by MartyG; 30-07-2021, 07:37.

Comment

Think Sony need to step in here with the 3rd parties and mandate they come with a heatsink for full compatibility, after its a mandate from Sony on installing new ones, so should at least come packed in without fail.

edit. i see on the specs of the Firecuda it has a built in heatsink, so that point is a non issue.

Comment

Yeah I am sure most people attempting this will be savvy enough to know a heatsink is mandatory but I still think there'll be a few who see these drives popping up on eBay as PS5 compatible and go ahead and buy one without knowing that key step.

At the very least I think Sony would be wise to have a UI warning to users when booting and formatting the drive that states it must have a heatsink.

Comment

I think it's also the kind of thing you are only really going to do once. Sure the Xbox is easy, but are you going to be plugging and unplugging storage regularly?
            As long as you follow the rules, do it carefully, you'll probably never do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              I think it's also the kind of thing you are only really going to do once. Sure the Xbox is easy, but are you going to be plugging and unplugging storage regularly?
              As long as you follow the rules, do it carefully, you'll probably never do it again.
              I'm my case yes. I've got two Series consoles now and if I ever grabbed the expansion card I'd most likely use it hot swap style moving a couple of games to and from the two consoles as needed.

Here though it's just a different case study so you're right, it's a one off job to install and leave it there.

Comment

The Xbox solution is so much more elegant. I’m not really sure why Sony have chosen to do it like this.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  The Xbox solution is so much more elegant. I’m not really sure why Sony have chosen to do it like this.
                  Two fold probably:
                  1: it's cheaper and Sony have had bites in the ass before with proprietary memory sticks.
                  2: The PS5s usp as far as Sonys thinking, is its memory speed which they might not want to compromise. Hence the need for it to be over a specific speed

Comment

Expected to be honest.

Comment

Not surprised at all... At least they'll have extra time to get it singing on both generations of hardware.

Comment

Well sony better have something out this winter or I will spend it on Forza horizon 5. And the PS5 will gather some dust.

Comment

Originally posted by arcnas View Post
                          Well sony better have something out this winter or I will spend it on Forza horizon 5. And the PS5 will gather some dust.
                          They have Deathloop and Psychonauts 2... Both lining the pockets of Microsoft but still both looking pretty great this far.

I'm kidding of course... There's Kena, Stray and that Little Devil Inside title. Not bad in-between all the 3rd party stuff but it is weakened now Horizon has followed God of War into next year.

Really though it just means next year is looking pretty tasty. Gone are the days I freak out about titles slipping... It's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                            They have Deathloop and Psychonauts 2... Both lining the pockets of Microsoft but still both looking pretty great this far.

I'm kidding of course... There's Kena, Stray and that Little Devil Inside title. Not bad in-between all the 3rd party stuff but it is weakened now Horizon has followed God of War into next year.

Really though it just means next year is looking pretty tasty. Gone are the days I freak out about titles slipping... It's all good.
                            Stray is a 2022 title now, was delayed yesterday. Looks really nice from the gameplay they showed off though.

Comment

Happy to wait till Horizon II is ready but at the same time it applies definite pressure for Sony to announce something for latter half this year as so far they've lost every single major exclusive for the rest of the year to 2022 which is a terrible look when even MS has something

Comment

Working...
                              X