No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ya's on about, I have 2 PS5s in my house.

Comment

Digital Foundry M.2 NVMe storage tests

https://youtu.be/9Qr4JDYjj-g

Comment

Some stock available at time of posting

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/playstation-5-disk-and-digital-instock-at-argos-3776391

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/playstation-5/?$ja=tsid%3A11674%7Cprd%3A1546795&utm_source=Peppe r+Deals+LTD&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www .argos.co.uk&utm_content=14023759&utm_custom1=1546 795&utm_custom2=Other&cmpid=cojun&cjevent=b70fa51a f9a211eb828900270a180513&cjdata=MXxZfDB8WXww&dclid =CJ_XnLbnpfICFcFFGwodOwcKqA

Comment

Is it April fools already? No ones getting stock but the scalpers and bots.

Edit. There is actual stock, actual stock!!!
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 10-08-2021, 11:05.

Comment

I was after a new Xbox so signed up to a couple of stock trackers. Got a PS5 at release...got plenty of pings for both consoles and managed to nab another 3 ps5s for friends who were struggling. So there has been plenty of stock available. Just have to be awake at 3am like a lunatic!

But even with that I never could get a series X so I gave up and bought an S.

Comment

So compatible NVMe drives vary wildly in price and it seems a drive with a heatsync preinstalled is bumping up costs by between £60 and £100. WD black drives are £60 more on a 1tb and £100 more on a 2Tb in most places.

Ive tried explaining how simple it is to fit an identical heat sync to two separate friends and its like I've come in their house and punched their kids, Am i in the minority here that would rather fit my own heat sync and save £40-80? . is this where we are as a whole are the general public so pandered to that something as simple as attaching your own heat sync is beyond most people? (most kits are a sticky thermal pad and a few pieces of metal that you just clip or screw together) Maybe Microsoft is onto a winner here with its out of the box solutions.
              Last edited by Lebowski; 16-08-2021, 13:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                So compatible NVMe drives vary wildly in price and it seems a drive with a heatsync preinstalled is bumping up costs by between £60 and £100. WD black drives are £60 more on a 1tb and £100 more on a 2Tb in most places.

Ive tried explaining how simple it is to fit an identical heat sync to two separate friends and its like I've come in their house and punched their kids, Am i in the minority here that would rather fit my own heat sync and save £40-80? . is this where we are as a whole are the general public so pandered to that something as simple as attaching your own heat sync is beyond most people? (most kits are a sticky thermal pad and a few pieces of metal that you just clip or screw together) Maybe Microsoft is onto a winner here with its out of the box solutions.
                If you're confident of the DIY and can save a few quid then go for it. The danger / risk is very small but I think the majority of the public don't want to have to deal with the problem and really do want that plug and play solution.

It doesn't help that the Sony official blurb on the guide pages essentially absolves themselves of all responsibility if something does go wrong and there-in lies the problem... average joe consumer doesn't want to be the one taking on the risk, however slight it may be.

I've been tracking MS 1TB expansion cards for a while now... £180 is slowly becoming the new price in many retailers when they have them on sale. On ebay I've tracked 10+ auctions now which have all gone for between £120 - £150. So prices are falling, especially in the 2nd hand market.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  If you're confident of the DIY and can save a few quid then go for it. The danger / risk is very small but I think the majority of the public don't want to have to deal with the problem and really do want that plug and play solution.

It doesn't help that the Sony official blurb on the guide pages essentially absolves themselves of all responsibility if something does go wrong and there-in lies the problem... average joe consumer doesn't want to be the one taking on the risk, however slight it may be.

I've been tracking MS 1TB expansion cards for a while now... £180 is slowly becoming the new price in many retailers when they have them on sale. On ebay I've tracked 10+ auctions now which have all gone for between £120 - £150. So prices are falling, especially in the 2nd hand market.
                  its a sticky thermal pad and three piece metal case, from a technical standpoint the panni sticker books of our youth taught us what to do with the sticky thermal pad and anyone that's ever stuck three pieces of lego together will get a A++ on putting the pretty standard three piece case together from a risk position adding a heat sync to a drive doesn't invalidate its warranty either.

I get it though some people would massively freak out if you gave them a NVMEe drive and told them to fit the heat-sync kit, it's convincing people that sticking something down and then clipping it into a case won't make that thing spontaneously combust. My words of encouragement to anyone not sure about giving it a go are you can do it you are more capable than you think.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 16-08-2021, 14:26.

Comment

I agree with you but I think we're a minority here and most owners want the super simple option.

Comment

When digital Foundry tested it they did it with and without a heatsink. I'm not sure I'd take the risk, but perhaps its fine without one.
                      How does the Xbox solution draw heat away? Is the cartridge its in a heatsink?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        When digital Foundry tested it they did it with and without a heatsink. I'm not sure I'd take the risk, but perhaps its fine without one.
                        it's an external solution so can naturally cool itself, the xbox expansion card has read speeds of 2.4GBs where as the ps5 cards need to be above 5GBs and some of the newer drives go as fast as 7GBs. The xbox drive is slower than a lot of gen3 drives and is rated as one of the slowest gen 4 drives on the market so it really doesn't seem like cooling would be an issue with it.

The digital foundry stuff about drive speeds is interesting as putting a slower than recommended drive in the ps5 didn't massively effect performance with games loading 1 or 2 seconds slower, games like ratchet and clank performed the same too so its like not even Sony is using the drives to their full potential yet, we are looking at first gen stuff though so its good that their is room to improve.
                        Last edited by Lebowski; 17-08-2021, 09:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          Yeah pretty much, it's entire body is a heatsink and when it's plugged in its basically passing that heat into the body of the console and cooled there.

I don't think it's an especially good design but it works.

As for running the SSD without a heatsink at all. I'm sure it's fine in the short term but personally I wouldn't be taking the risk given the cost of the drive and the console. You'd pay that little extra just to make sure it's not running at high temps for long periods of time.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                            Yeah pretty much, it's entire body is a heatsink and when it's plugged in its basically passing that heat into the body of the console and cooled there.

I don't think it's an especially good design but it works.

As for running the SSD without a heatsink at all. I'm sure it's fine in the short term but personally I wouldn't be taking the risk given the cost of the drive and the console. You'd pay that little extra just to make sure it's not running at high temps for long periods of time.
                            There are various vids showing tests of with and without the heatsync installed all over youtube. with a heat sync you can keep it in around the 50 0c optimal operating range, without your gonna be climbing into the 70s very quickly. so if you want your drive to last you need that heat sync.

Last edited by Lebowski; 17-08-2021, 08:41.

Comment

Year you don’t want to be leaving the heatsink off.

Comment

So, less than 2 days until Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut!

Comment

Working...
                                X