No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends, people want PS5 and XSX to leave the PS4 era behind and to utilise their power for a multitude of advancements but framerate will be the price that's paid. It isn't possible to create a vastly more detailed, complex world with more advanced physics, lighting and AI and drop the resolution down a notch to hit 60fps. The current wave of 60fps titles exist simply because they're last gen games. If mid-late gen PS5 games have a 60fps mode it'll be because people have shelled out another £450-£500 for a PS5 Pro.

Comment

I don't have 4k, so 60fps would be nice instead.

Comment

The really depressing bit will be when each company is close to hitting the mark again and then start pursuing 8K instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          It depends, people want PS5 and XSX to leave the PS4 era behind and to utilise their power for a multitude of advancements but framerate will be the price that's paid. It isn't possible to create a vastly more detailed, complex world with more advanced physics, lighting and AI and drop the resolution down a notch to hit 60fps. The current wave of 60fps titles exist simply because they're last gen games. If mid-late gen PS5 games have a 60fps mode it'll be because people have shelled out another £450-£500 for a PS5 Pro.
          True but at the same time we've not yet seen any games tap into some of the advancements on offer in the new hardware... Stuff like Fidelity FX super sampling, variable rate shading etc... These are all there to efficiently build more expensive detail into titles. I am sure once these become common place in development we'll see great looking games which just weren't possible on last gen.

Until then I'm happy with cross gen titles provided they are great games.

As for Sony releasing cross gen titles. Well I think they flat out lied to the consumer to make them upgrade. Seriously they knew way out that Miles Morales, Forbbiden West were cross gen and the same goes for Ragnarok and Gran Turismo.

It's not something you just shoehorn in at the end of development. They styled all their promo showcases to give the impression they were PS5 only and now we're seeing that isn't the case at all.
          Last edited by nonny; 05-06-2021, 05:58.

Comment

To be honest, there is no way Sony (or any company) are going to ignore a 120 million user base for a 7 million one at the moment. That style of game development just doesn't exist anymore and it just doesn't make sense business-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
              True but at the same time we've not yet seen any games tap into some of the advancements on offer in the new hardware... Stuff like Fidelity FX super sampling, variable rate shading etc... These are all there to efficiently build more expensive detail into titles. I am sure once these become common place in development we'll see great looking games which just weren't possible on last gen.

Until then I'm happy with cross gen titles provided they are great games.

As for Sony releasing cross gen titles. Well I think they flat out lied to the consumer to make them upgrade. Seriously they knew way out that Miles Morales, Forbbiden West were cross gen and the same goes for Ragnarok and Gran Turismo.

It's not something you just shoehorn in at the end of development. They styled all their promo showcases to give the impression they were PS5 only and now we're seeing that isn't the case at all.
              I think, to be honest, Sony did indeed panic and decide late on in development these games were going to be cross gen. Got to look at it from a global business perspective, yes ps4 did amazingly, but Switch was an unexpected runaway success as well, ms didn’t do well, but it didn’t do badly enough to exit the console game either. MS have enough money to simply attrition everyone else out the game if they slip up enough. Sony are just covering their customer base and making sure their income from each game is as large as possible, not to mention getting late releases out on pc to temp people into the console side as well.

Does it annoy the core customers like us, absolutely, does it hold dev back on PS5 games, most likely. Not a lot we can do after the event now.

I just want my 60fps going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                To be honest, there is no way Sony (or any company) are going to ignore a 120 million user base for a 7 million one at the moment. That style of game development just doesn't exist anymore and it just doesn't make sense business-wise.
                Except that's what Insomniac are doing with Ratchet & Clank. They've actually decided to forgo sales to show what the PS5 can do when let off the leash.

Comment

R&C should still sell very well considering that it's early days with a lot of early adopters gobbling everything up. It's not much of a gamble. It's not like it'd hit 20M if it was on the PS4 as well.

Comment

Any updates on GT7? I don't follow modern gaming news anymore because there's nothing to follow.

Comment

That said, I'd be quite happy with playing GT4 for another 12-15 years! It's a masterpiece.

Certainly a good enough excuse not to spend €600.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        I think, to be honest, Sony did indeed panic and decide late on in development these games were going to be cross gen. Got to look at it from a global business perspective, yes ps4 did amazingly, but Switch was an unexpected runaway success as well, ms didn’t do well, but it didn’t do badly enough to exit the console game either. MS have enough money to simply attrition everyone else out the game if they slip up enough. Sony are just covering their customer base and making sure their income from each game is as large as possible, not to mention getting late releases out on pc to temp people into the console side as well.

Does it annoy the core customers like us, absolutely, does it hold dev back on PS5 games, most likely. Not a lot we can do after the event now.

I just want my 60fps going forward.
                        Even if it was a late decision by Sony it surely came before the PS5 launch so all this talk of generations by Jim Ryan and the sizzle reel stuff at the showcase where they didn't mention anything about cross gen was still a strategy from them to guide people towards the new console because that's the only platform getting these titles. We know different now of course and having these titles cross gen is fine by me but the messaging was purposely geared to sell consoles...

Comment

I agree the messaging was definitely skewed towards selling more PS5’s, absolutely.

Comment

It would be better if you could walk into a shop and buy R&C and a PS5.

Comment

"The Medium", an Xbox Series exclusive, has been rated for PS5 by the ESRB

The Entertainment Software Rating Board has rated the Bloober Team-developed third-person psychological horror game The Medium for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series.

Comment

Its bad when your only exclusive jumps platform before you can get another out

Comment

Working...
                                X