Playstation 5: Thread 03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    I've got to say, it made me laugh when the commentator on Deathloop was talking about the haptic feedback and triggers offering an immersive experience. Yeah you won't have to worry about that anymore Arkane.
    Yeah that did make me chuckle... Though I see Phil Spencer was a big fan on them. You never know an Elite Series 3 controller might crop up with some haptics in them.

Imitation and all that...

Comment

I hope Microsoft do rip it off. Stuff getting copied is how we get enduring advancements in pads. Like how Nintendo's analogue stick and rumble pack were cloned by Sony, and how Sony's dual stick approach was in turn copied by Nintendo and Microsoft. Then Microsoft originated the standard wireless pad, with its home button, ability to turn the console on remotely, and lights to indicate which player the pad represented (the last of which, weirdly and annoyingly, they dropped for the Bone generation).

They shouldn't keep these features confined to the Elite pad though, or no dev will ever use them. Both the iPhone-style haptics and the resistive triggers deserve to become standard going forward. They're great - and if they're standard across both Sony and MS platforms, that's when we'll see developers including those features by default.

Comment

It really does add something to games. The update of Plague Tale is brilliant for haptics.
        Ive turned the trigger strength down to medium on the PlayStation settings though. Its a great feature, just a bit too much for my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          I hope Microsoft do rip it off. Stuff getting copied is how we get enduring advancements in pads. Like how Nintendo's analogue stick and rumble pack were cloned by Sony, and how Sony's dual stick approach was in turn copied by Nintendo and Microsoft. Then Microsoft originated the standard wireless pad, with its home button, ability to turn the console on remotely, and lights to indicate which player the pad represented (the last of which, weirdly and annoyingly, they dropped for the Bone generation).

They shouldn't keep these features confined to the Elite pad though, or no dev will ever use them. Both the iPhone-style haptics and the resistive triggers deserve to become standard going forward. They're great - and if they're standard across both Sony and MS platforms, that's when we'll see developers including those features by default.
          Yeah if they were going to copy it then I'd prefer they roll out a new controller with it supported as default but if it was only on a new elite controller it would be a start.

Last gen MS did revise the whole controller by adding a 3.5mm jack and Bluetooth so it's not unheard of.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty traditional to do at least one revision to your main pad during a gen I reckon. Only Nintendo never usually bother (although the Wii got Motion Plus).

It doesn't feel massively likely to be honest, as it would be quite a chunky update, but I'd love to see MS do it. And even improve on Sony's technology ideally, push it forward!

Comment

It's one place were MS really haven't had any major investment.
              Every generation gets a new controller. Look at the 4 previous dualshocks adding analogue sticks, motion sensor, touchpad and speaker. Nintendos controllers are always different and interesting.
              MS 360 controller was brilliant, much better than the dualshock 3, but then it's basically stayed the same. It's like they're saying 'our players don't need a touchpad, speaker or anything extra, they just want a comfy controller with buttons'. I think people would like the choice to be honest.
              They obviously spent a considerable amount of time investing and developing a fantastically designed and put together console, and almost forgot about the controller.

Comment

CoD 120fps comparison. If you are willing to have all 800gb of space taken up with it.

TLDW -

Xbox has higher res and sharper textures. Frame rate unstable, usually in the 90-110fps range.

PS5 has same resolution as PS4 Pro (about 1520p or so), blurrier textures, but maintains 120fps the vast majority of the time.

Comment

CoD 120fps comparison. If you are willing to have all 800gb of space taken up with it.

TLDW -

Xbox has higher res and sharper textures. Frame rate unstable, usually in the 90-110fps range.

PS5 has same resolution as PS4 Pro (about 1520p or so), blurrier textures, but maintains 120fps the vast majority of the time.

https://youtu.be/ETfOkIj1Rfc
                  Pity the game is horrific trash. I really hope BF2042 is a return to form and we can forget about COD and battle royale.

Comment

It's one place were MS really haven't had any major investment.
                    Every generation gets a new controller. Look at the 4 previous dualshocks adding analogue sticks, motion sensor, touchpad and speaker. Nintendos controllers are always different and interesting.
                    MS 360 controller was brilliant, much better than the dualshock 3, but then it's basically stayed the same. It's like they're saying 'our players don't need a touchpad, speaker or anything extra, they just want a comfy controller with buttons'. I think people would like the choice to be honest.
                    They obviously spent a considerable amount of time investing and developing a fantastically designed and put together console, and almost forgot about the controller.
                    To be honest I think it's more the R&D has been focused more on the elite model and trickles down to the default controller. The Series controllers are fantastic to be fair, a smidge more comfortable with better grip and a far better d-pad... Plus that share button, lord knows where MS got that genius idea.

I think it's fair to say they've constantly refined the controller but not pushed the boundaries too much which to me is fine. I couldn't really care about a mic or touchpad either but haptics, yeah I can see a place for haptics.

My opinion of course!

Comment

Touch pad is just another button to me. And I'll probably never use the mic. The speaker is better on the dualsense. It's quite handy on Doom for example giving audio clicks and sounds when ammo is running low. Definitely needs to be used more. I think the controller just offers developers choices.

Comment

Sony has removed a PlayStation 5 advert which showed the console placed upside down.Fans spotted the incorrectly-positi…

Whoops...

Comment

If it weren't for backwards compatibility I could have easily seen the touch pad getting dropped and even then it's not essential

Comment

Yeah, the touchpad is not a great addition. I don’t think that adds much of anything. Not at all surprised MS didn’t bother to copy that.

I wouldn’t miss it if it were gone. It’s essentially just a very large Select button.

Comment

Touchpad is the new map & inventory button. Nice and big so you can always find it. Plus devs often map different stuff to either side which i find useful, so it stays thanks, i find the xbox pad insufferable as im always trying to press it and hitting the xbox button instead.

Comment

It's gained an extra button I guess. It lost the select but gained the two touchpad buttons. It's quite nice on something like tomb raider were you can rotate and zoom the objects you pick up. I just can't think of anything that's used it properly.

Edit: Astrobot?
                                Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 09-07-2021, 20:47.

Comment

Working...
                                X