PS3 & PSVita digital stores closing altogether

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloaded them at about 11am I think.

So annoyed by all of this. Just total disregard for their legacy. Combined with the all but closing of Sony Japan, it just shows that the new leadership are only concerned by shiny new western prestige games and not the games that made their company a success.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
      Downloaded them at about 11am I think.

So annoyed by all of this. Just total disregard for their legacy. Combined with the all but closing of Sony Japan, it just shows that the new leadership are only concerned by shiny new western prestige games and not the games that made their company a success.
      It's indicative of a larger shift and ever increasing decline of the Japanese industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
        Not weird at all.

Parasitic speculative investors have seen games as the next big thing:
        Interest in factory-sealed video games has soared in the past year, and collectors have been able to quickly flip the most coveted titles, making a substantial profit.

There's other stories across the web.

Basically rich people who buy to invest and later sell, have become aware of games - like Cthulhu - and now they are snapping up everything. Like baseball cards and comics before us.

Started around 2019 / 2020.

I ****ing hate it.
        This combined with bitcoin mining demand for GPU causing chip shortages. It's a wonder any new consoles are coming off the production line and when they are these scalpers are just making matters worse.

I'm pretty annoyed with Sony on this one. It seems like it's been announced without any fore warning and it's disconcerting they're happy to not archive any of this legacy of PlayStation titles. Xbox aren't perfect but in comparison the way they're supporting access to generations of titles is far more reassuring and has clearly had more forward thinking in implementation.

It makes me think twice about owning any digital only PlayStation console.

Comment

This is why, when consoles go digital only, I'll be leaving them behind. I have a backlog that could block the Amazon basin, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
            This is why, when consoles go digital only, I'll be leaving them behind. I have a backlog that could block the Amazon basin, anyway.
            I'm already at that point. Physical offerings are borderline insulting. No manuals. No inside print on inserts, even. Half the game on the disc... There's simply no longer any incentive to not pirate everything.

I have a wallet with over a hundred PSX CD-Rs and a 300GB IDE drive locked into my PS2. That's all I need to secure PlayStation's 'legacy'.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              I'm already at that point. Physical offerings are borderline insulting. No manuals. No inside print on inserts, even. Half the game on the disc... There's simply no longer any incentive to not pirate everything.

I have a wallet with over a hundred PSX CD-Rs and a 300GB IDE drive locked into my PS2. That's all I need to secure PlayStation's 'legacy'.
              Well yeah that's one way of doing it but not everyone is going to be that savvy, really you'd hope the platform holder is going to make some effort.

Comment

Exactly. Just make your value proposition an attractive one, like you know... how things used to be done back in the 90s/00s.

I take no pride in storage solutions filled with ROMs/ISOs. But I feel like I have no other choice. As I keep saying, my son is also a massive fan of artwork, boxes and carts.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  I have a wallet with over a hundred PSX CD-Rs
                  CD-Rs ?! Dude, this isn't the 90s anymore. You should really upgrade to an official PSIO unit. Runs everything off SD card, silent, and the support is now pretty close to 100%.

Comment

I'd rather use CD-R than a PSIO, at least CD-R will reliably boot games.

This post was made by XStation gang.

Comment

I use CD-Rs on my Saturn. The Satiator and Rhea are cool, but I don’t really feel the need to pay £300+ out just for a tiny bit more convenience. My CDs are all Taiyo Yudens burned slowly, and they always work reliably. (Obligatory nod to Speedy for the impeccable multi mod of the machine)

Comment

You might want to look into the Fenrir if you wanted a more suitable Saturn ODE, far more reasonable price wise. That's what I intend to get if I ever get another. They just announced a 21 pin model coming in June or so too.

Developer Ced has just announced that the 21-pin version of his Saturn Optical Drive Emulator called the Fenrir is now completed!  Pre-orders for both that and the original 20-pin version are now available from CastleMania Games: Purchase Fenrir (choose version from the drop-down):  https://retrorg

Comment

M.O.D.E. by TerraOnion is another very easy-to-install Saturn ODE.

Comment

Fenrir def looks like a good one to consider if my laser ever conks out

If I had a MODE I’d prob stick it in my DC to be honest.

Honestly, I’m happy enough with my CD-Rs for the foreseeable. I’ve burned and labelled them all now, anyhow!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              If we're looking for deep cuts, how about DARK AWAKE: THE KING HAS NO NAME. Capitals were my addition, for (further) impact.

Taito Type X arcade vs fighter, only ported to PS3, and only released digitally in Japan. From a quick search, this blog post is a good little summary of it.
                              Stuff like this is what interests me most, never heard of it before and looks fairly solid and only on PS3. There are lots of great PS3 only titles, which are what I'm mainly after.

Also worth grabbing any PS3 title that has extra content over the 360 or PC versions like:
                              Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (PS3 version has an offline co-op mode, the 360 version doesn't)
                              Sine Mora on PS3 and PSVita (Had Wilhelmine Muller from Under Defeat in it, not sure she was in the PS4 version.)
                              Alien Breed: Impact (Featured a number of extras and changes over the 360 version.)

In terms of PS3 digital only titles here a rough list of the ones I've played and were mainly PS3 only:
                              Alien Breed (HD version of the original Amiga game)
                              Alien Breed: Impact
                              Burn Zombie Burn!
                              Calling All Cars!
                              Dark Mist The Depth of Darkness (JPN Version, had extra DLC)
                              Dead Nation
                              Eat Them!
                              Eufloria
                              Fat Princess (Delisted)
                              GundeadliGne (Also on PC)
                              Gundemonium Recollection (Also on PC)
                              Hitogata Happa (Delisted)
                              Hoard
                              inFamous: Festival of Blood
                              Lemmings (Version exclusive for PS3 has new level)
                              Machinarium (also on PC)
                              Malicious (EX version on ps4)
                              Minis - Pinball Dreams (Superb port)
                              Minis - Pinball Fantasies (Superb port)
                              Minis - Speedball 2 Evolution
                              Noby Noby Boy (Delisted)
                              Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD (Also on PC)
                              Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD (Also on PC)
                              Okabu
                              PixelJunk Shooter
                              PixelJunk Shooter 2
                              PixelJunk SideScroller
                              Raiden IV Overkill
                              Resident Evil: Chronicles HD Collection (Japanes
                              Riff: Everyday Shooter
                              Sideway (Delisted, also on PC as Sideway New York)
                              Spelunker HD
                              Super Stardust HD
                              Superfrog HD (Delisted)
                              The House of the Dead 4
                              The House of the Dead III (Only HD release)
                              The Last Guy
                              Tokyo Jungle
                              Toy Home
                              Velocity Ultra
                              Virtual On (Japan only also on 360,but new PS4 collection includes it.)
                              Virtual Striker (Japan only also on 360)

There was the long delisted GTI Club game as well, port of the Wii version with extra content.
                              Mortal Kombat II and Rampage World Tour also had long delisted PS3 only ports
                              Last edited by S3M; 07-04-2021, 22:55.

Comment

Good stuff S3M!

DLC is a big concern of mine now. Especially the free stuff. I hate DLC, even free DLC, because it means the game feels incomplete on the disc without it.

Free stuff:
                                Alice Madness Returns - the whole PC prequel is available for free
                                Yakuza Dead Souls - free DLC which boosts EXP
                                Yakuza 4 - free DLC
                                Akiba's Trip - on the American PSN, lots of free stuff

Paid DLC:
                                Dark Souls - do I want the Artorius dlc for £10? I thought Dark Souls 1 was weak compared to Demon's or Dark Souls 2.

Nier - £5.79 for challenge missions? I loved Nier, but is it worth it?

Mass Effect 3 - mentioned already, the free ending DLC, plus the Citadel add-on for £12.

Asura's Wrath - I asked in the topic, was told this is essential since it's basically the last section of the proper game which Capcom chopped off to sell

Game of Thrones - not the crappy Telltale version, but the proper questy RPG version, which I really enjoyed. DLC is £4, giving a backstory quest, and now I'm wondering... I never finished the main game, despite liking it, maybe I should get this just in case I ever do? :unsure:

I hate how this whole thing has forced us to panic buy in the last 3 months before closure. A lot of people have mentioned how a lot of the games are available elsewhere, but the DLC? What if in a year's time I decide to finish Game of Thrones - can that DLC be bought and used on next gen systems? Or is it lost forever?

Comment

Working...
                                X