TimeSplitters 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TimeSplitters 4

Free Radical to (mostly) reform under Deep Silver and create new entry to series.

Dunno how I feel about this. As an FPS it's very much of its time and the whole genre has evolved massively.

Do they keep it old school or update it?

Comment

Year me as well. Fantastic memories of T1 and the whole “new duelstick” control scheme, endless nights of multiplayer and crying with laughter. As you say though, the genre moved on, do we really need it?

Have to be honest and say not really. Even still, could be good and hopefully i’m proven wrong.

Comment

Much the same as you guys, I absolutely loved the first two games. Timesplitters was one of the first games I played on PS2 and it blew me away. I'm just not quite sure how it translates into a potentially 4k experience on PS5. I'd love to be surprised though.

Comment

This will require a serious, serious overhaul. I personally think staying old school would be the wrong move, and instead they should try to reinvent this to take into account the twenty years of progress in the genre since the series started.

It feels like there's definitely room for it though. There hasn't been anything quite like Timesplitters since.

Comment

I'm still playing original Xbox Timesplitters FP arcade games most weeks - if I fancy a twenty minute blast I usually play a Capture The Bag game, then Thief, a couple of standard Deathmatches and maybe finish with a Vampire. Total time played is just under 33 days and that's only on one particular Xbox, so its probably 1000+ hrs over the last 12 years. I came to it late as I was playing TS2 almost exclusively before that and must have a similar total on that too.

A remake of either of those or a three game amalgam (the first game was only on PS2) or , better, a completely new game will require a radical overhaul. The main story campaign in all three was always the least good element, it was the arcade/challenges/multiplayer where it hit the sweet spot so well.

Comment

It'd need to essentially just be the IP moving forward with the game itself being unrecognisable from the gameplay perspective meaning largely leaving fans behind. Timesplitters was already essentially a love letter to the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark era of FPS so if TS4 isn't advancing and then pushing competitive FPS multiplayer forward then it should be left to the past.

Comment

Sounds good to me! David Doak involved too!

Here's an article from the brilliant David Houghton from three years ago about how an updated Timesplitters might fit into modern gaming:

Comment

Hope it still has a unique style like the og

Comment

I'm wondering if the sales of Homefront The Revolution suddenly spiked enough to bring this about.

Comment

Custom map creation on the fly thanks to the speed of SSD would be awesome!

Like, one player is almost a "dungeon master", building the map as others run around it blasting each other with ridiculous weapons!

Comment

Supposedly character designs leaked via a photo from Free Radical's office

Comment

In TS FP I often play using "Nurse Sputum" a zombie-fied.................nurse.

What I'd hope for is a whole range of amusing characters like that. There are 150 in FP Arcade mode and I've still not unlocked the last two after 16 years play (you need a 100% Platinum rating on everything).

The important gameplay improvement should be to give them unique-ish performance stats. Too many of those FP 150 characters are really just skins despite their claimed stats and the play differences non-existent or minimal.

Worse, in FP, the AI control of any character cheats like there's no tomorrow. AI opponents can take five hits in the face and are general bullet sponges then suddenly become single hit vulnerable weaklings, no matter what their stats when you're using them.

I hope those sorts of cheap AI gameplay features have no place in this long awaited fourth entry in the series.

Comment

Comment

Embracer group really do have a lot to answer for in the industry... what a load of crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X